Have you ever had a migraine headache? If you have, you know how crippling it can be! Sharp, intense and throbbing pain, not only at your temples but radiating throughout your head.
On top of that, you’re dealing with feelings of nausea and digestive discomfort, an unbearable aversion to light and sound, and irritation with even the smallest of movements. Every second of a migraine is miserable!
So, what do you do? Pop a painkiller and buzz off to sleep. But it’s just not enough. Realize the side effects of painkillers and you’ll come to see the value of natural treatments.
These natural treatments can help you get rid of that crippling discomfort. Instead of succumbing to that incredible pain, get rid of migraine fast without medication with these simple tricks to soothe your pain in no time.
- Method 1: Use a Cold Compress
- Method 2: Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Method 3: Use Peppermint Oil
- Method 4: Use Cayenne Pepper
Method 1: Use a Cold Compress
Temperature therapy is one of the best ways to relieve your pain.
Applying a cold compress has a numbing effect to dull the sensation of pain. It also helps shrink your blood vessels and improve circulation to the area.
Things you’ll need:
- Ice cubes (has a numbing effect that alleviates pain)
- Cotton cloth
Step 1. Wrap some ice cubes in a cotton cloth
- Wrap some ice cubes in a piece of cotton cloth.
- Grab and tie the corners.
Step 2. Apply the compress on your head for 15 minutes
- Hold the wrap against your forehead for 15 minutes.
- Make sure you keep moving it around and do not stick to one part of your forehead.
Repeat as needed.
Alternatively, you can use a bag of frozen veggies as an ice pack.
Note: You must never apply ice directly on your skin, as it has a damaging effect. Always wrap it up in a thin piece of cloth before use.
Method 2: Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is extremely high in vitamins and minerals. Consuming ACV delivers vital nutrients to the body that help balance your system and treat the symptoms of a migraine.
Things you’ll need:
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) (helps balance your system) – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Water – ¾ of a glass
Step 1. Mix ACV and honey in water
- Pour 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1 tablespoon of honey into a glass filled ¾ of the way with water.
Step 2. Stir it well and drink the concoction twice a day
- Grab a spoon and mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Drink this concoction twice daily for several days to treat migraine.
Method 3: Use Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has an amazingly wonderful soothing smell that helps ease pain and discomfort from a headache.
All you need to do is:
- Put a small amount of peppermint oil on a cotton ball and dab it on your forehead, temples and the back of your jaws.
- Massage gently in circular motions for 5 minutes. You’ll feel a cooling sensation while applying the oil.
- Relax for 15 minutes in a quiet place.
Repeat the treatment as needed.
For those with sensitive skin, it is best to dilute the peppermint oil in olive oil or water to avoid irritation and itching.
Alternatively, you can inhale the soothing aroma of peppermint through steam. This helps alleviate headaches and relieve symptoms like nausea and vomiting.
Method 4: Use Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is one incredible solution for treating any sort of pain and inflammation in your body. This is because cayenne contains capsaicin, a compound that helps deplete the pain-causing components in your system.
Things you’ll need:
- Cayenne pepper (natural painkiller) – ½ teaspoon
- Honey – ½ teaspoon
- Warm water – 1 cup
Step 1. Mix cayenne pepper and honey in water
- Mix about ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper in 1 cup of warm water.
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey to the water as well.
Step 2. Stir and drink it twice in 4 hours
- Stir the mixture well, so that the cayenne pepper and honey are completely dissolved.
- Drink the mixture twice within a span of 4 hours for few days as needed.
- Slip into darkness. Migraines increase sensitivity to light and sound, so, turn off the lights and relax in a dark, quiet room. Sleep if you can.
- Pop a garlic clove as soon as possible. An anticlotting agent, garlic helps prevent clotting and regulate the flow of blood, thus restricting the trigger issue for migraines.
- Grab a cup of hot coffee! Migraines usually occur due to dilated or widened blood vessels pressing against nerves. A cup of coffee can help constrict those blood vessels, thus relieving pain.
- Ginger root is another effective treatment for migraines, as it helps mediate several biological processes like inflammation and alerts neurons to the pain. You can also sip ginger root tea to help relieve pain.
- Try acupressure. There are several focal points on your forehead, back of the jaws, neck and shoulders that have a soothing effect in relieving pain when massaged.
- Grab some grape juice, as this serves as the perfect go-to remedy when a migraine strikes. Grapes are excellent pain relievers. Create your own blend at home with fresh, ripe grapes and little water or take a drink of an all-natural grape juice to drink your discomfort away.
Summary of How to Get Rid of Migraine Fast without Medication
Download this infographic.