From a defrizzer to smoothing haywire hair to moisturizing your body, coconut oil offers a multitude of beauty uses.
However, did you know coconut oil is also a kick-ass cleanser?
Well, yes! Coconut oil makes an amazing makeup cleanser along with removing dirt and grime. The best part – no need to worry about moisturizing your skin later and you can hop straight into bed.
A rich source of lauric and caprylic acids, coconut oil contains incredible antibacterial and antifungal properties that make it an ideal choice for a natural cleanser.
How does it work?
Coconut oil breaks up or solubilizes water-resistant substances in makeup products like eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, primer and foundation, thus releasing them from your skin, eyelids and lashes. What’s more, it will leave your skin looking younger, softer, more supple and smooth.
As a natural cleanser, coconut oil offers the following benefits:
- Dissolves stubborn makeup with ease
- Cleans skin without any stripping of the natural oils, rash or irritation
- Nourishes and moisturizes your skin
- 100% safe and harmless for delicate skin
- Safe for your eye area and lashes
- Free of harsh chemicals.
Owing to these attributes, coconut oil makes a perfect cleanser for removing your makeup. Here are two different ways you can use it.
- Method 1: Use Coconut Oil Directly
- Method 2: Use DIY Makeup Remover Wipes
Method 1: Use Coconut Oil Directly
Step 1. Soak a cotton ball or pad in coconut oil
- Grab a cotton ball or cotton pad and soak it in coconut oil.
Step 2. Wipe your face clean with the cotton pad
- Gently wipe away your makeup by dabbing and rubbing the soaked cotton pad on your face.
Alternatively, you can pour a small amount of coconut oil into your palm and smear it all over your makeup. Allow your makeup to dissolve into the oil for a minute, then wipe it off. Finish with rinsing your face with water. There will be some residual oil on your face, just massage it into your skin as a moisturizing treatment.
Method 2: Use DIY Makeup Remover Wipes
Makeup remover wipes are lifesavers! While many times you may forget or just get lazy about removing your makeup, grabbing a wipe even after you’ve gotten into bed is such a relief.
However, while wipes are easy to use, they run out quickly—and then there’s the cost. So instead, switch to making your own DIY makeup wipes that will save you money and time.
Cut regular paper towels in half and soak them in a solution that is part oil, part cleanser, some water and that’s it! The added advantage – you can infuse your favorite fragrance!
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil (excellent moisturizer) – 2 tablespoons
- Distilled water – 1 cup
- Mild soap or baby wash (mild cleanser) – 4 or 5 drops
- Essential oil (fights bacteria) – 4 or 5 drops
- Paper towel roll
Step 1. Mix coconut oil, mild soap and essential oil
- Pour 1 cup of distilled water into a jar.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into the water.
- Add 4 or 5 squirts of a mild soap to the solution.
- Add 4 or 5 drops of your favorite essential oil. To prevent the wipes from molding and becoming a breeding ground for bacteria, it is best to add a few drops of tea tree oil to the solution.
- Whisk the ingredients together. As you whisk, you’ll observe foam and froth forming a sudsy solution.
Alternatively, you can use olive or castor oil instead of coconut oil.
Step 2. Cut a paper towel roll to fit in your jar
- Cut a paper towel roll in half or to a size that will fit in your jar or other container. A knife may work best for this purpose.
- Place the cut roll into the jar.
Alternatively, you can use organic cotton pads in place of paper towels.
Step 3. Pour the solution over the paper towels
- Pour the sudsy cleanser over the paper towel roll in the jar.
- Press down on the roll and place the lid on the jar.
- Shake well so that the cleansing solution is evenly absorbed into each layer of the paper towels.
Step 4. Remove the cardboard cylinder
- Remove the cardboard cylinder from the paper towel roll.
Step 5. Use the wipes to remove your makeup
- Use your moisture-laden homemade wipes to remove your makeup in an instant.
The wipes will keep for 20 to 30 days, depending on the climate and the container used for storage.
- When buying coconut oil, make sure you choose unrefined, extra-virgin coconut oil, since it is the least processed and closest to its natural state.
- If you are allergic to coconut oil, you may use olive oil or castor oil instead.