Aloe vera is often called the wonder plant. If you thought the benefits of aloe vera are limited to just your skin, you couldn’t be more wrong.
Supermarkets are flooded with beauty products that contain this gift from nature, but those products also come loaded with chemicals and preservatives that can be harmful. Ditch those over-priced cosmetics and say hello to the miracle worker!
Aloe vera has many fold benefits for your skin. Apart from its external uses, you can enjoy its benefits internally in the form of aloe vera tea, aloe vera juice, etc. It contains essential antioxidants like vitamins A, C and E. The body absorbs and retains aloe vera four times faster than water. It amplifies the moisture content in your skin , making it smoother and more supple. No wonder it was a hit with Egyptian queens like Nefertiti and Cleopatra!
The best part is you can reap many of aloe vera’s health and beauty benefits while enjoying a refreshing glass of aloe vera lemonade.
It’s best to make the lemonade with fresh aloe vera gel. You can also store aloe vera, so you always have a supply on hand. The plant stores water in its leaves, so you don’t even need to worry about watering it regularly. Just 2 or 3 times a month is enough. Aloe vera is the queen of low-maintenance plants.
- Steps to Prepare Aloe Vera Lemonade
Some Health Benefits of Aloe Vera
- Complete skin care:
Aloe vera has antibacterial properties that help heal wounds, psoriasis, radiation dermatitis, stings, rashes, acne, itching and irritation.
Studies suggest that aloe vera may have anti-aging effects, as it is rich in antioxidants and contains collagen that slows the aging process, although more research needs to be done in this regard.
- Treats constipation:
Aloe latex has been proven to treat constipation. The latex present in aloe vera facilitates digestion by increasing intestinal water content and stimulating mucus secretion that helps break down food. It also helps maintain and normalize the body’s pH balance.
Consuming a glass of aloe vera juice first thing in the morning ensures healthy bowel movements.
- Treats diabetes:
Aloe vera lemonade assists in improving blood sugar levels and is beneficial in treating diabetes. As per the University of Maryland Medical Center website, the anti-inflammatory effects of aloe vera were found to be superior as compared to 1 percent hydrocortisone cream. Applying pure aloe vera gel to diabetic boils relieves the symptoms of diabetes, soothes pain and reduces inflammation.
- Prevents plaque and cures gum disease:
Tooth decay, bleeding gums and other dental problems are very common, and as annoying and painful they are, they can be cured by aloe vera. The source of dental problems lies in the buildup of plaque on your teeth. Aloe vera helps prevent that. In fact, according to the Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry, it is just as good and beneficial when compared to other disinfectants such as Chlorhexidine.
- Soothes mouth ulcers:
Mouth ulcer or canker sores cause discomfort in chewing, swallowing, speech etc. Aloe vera has Anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-tumour properties and noteworthy medicinal values which makes it an effective healing agent. According to the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, aloe vera treatment reduced the size of ulcers and also the pain associated with oral lesions. It is recommended in the treatment of oral health disorders.
- It is NOT advisable for children younger than 5 years of age and pregnant women to consume aloe vera internally.
- The aloe vera plant contains yellow latex, which is toxic in nature. It can cause diarrhea, abdominal pain and even kidney problems.
- Consuming aloe vera or aloe vera supplements could cause liver damage in the long run. Consult your doctor before consuming aloe vera on a regular basis.
Steps to Prepare Aloe Vera Lemonade
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera gel – 1/2 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Lemon juice – ¾ cup
- Turbinado (organic raw cane sugar) – ½ cup
Step 1. Put the aloe vera gel in a blender
- Pour 1/2 cup of aloe vera gel into the blender. Learn here, how to make aloe vera gel in less than 5 minutes.
Step 2. Add turbinado to aloe vera gel
- Pour ½ cup of turbinado in the blender.
Turbinado sugar goes through very little processing, and thus is a much healthier alternative to white sugar. Vegans can also consume it, as it is devoid of any animal byproducts.
Step 3. Add lemon juice to the mix
- Add ¾ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice to the blender.
As mouthwatering and appetizing as lemon juice tastes, it also strengthens blood vessels, helps prevent kidney stones, reduces risk of a stroke and is a great source of vitamin C.
Step 4. Add water
- Pour 4 cups of water into the blender.
Step 5. Blend the ingredients well
- Blend the mixture until it’s smooth.
Step 6. Pour the lemonade into a glass or pitcher
- Pour your aloe vera lemonade into a pitcher or glass.
Step 7. Refrigerate & serve it chilled
- Chill it in the refrigerator, then enjoy a refreshing glass of your homemade aloe vera lemonade.
- When life gives you lemons, add them to aloe vera lemonade!
- Keep your body pH levels balanced by drinking alkaline fluids and beverages like aloe vera lemonade.
- If you want to add sweetness to your drink, you can add stevia to your aloe vera lemonade. The beauty of aloe vera lemonade is that it can be consumed with other ingredients, one such ingredient being Indian gooseberry. Both aloe vera and Indian gooseberry are dynamic anti-oxidants.
- You can add honey to your aloe vera lemonade.
- Since aloe vera has immense water retaining capacity, aloe vera lemonade is the best way to treat dehydration.
- You can use aloe vera as an effcetive treatment for burning mouth syndrome and blisters on tongue too.