Did you know Alexander the Great captured the Island of Socotra for the aloe vera plant?
The clear gel derived from the aloe leaves was used by his soldiers to treat their wounds. Legend has it that the potent gel made Alexander’s army indestructible.
Hailed as the “plant of immortality,” the healing benefits of aloe vera are not just an old wives’ tale. Aloe vera is a storehouse of nutrients with almost 200+ biochemical compounds that include vitamins, such as vitamin A, E, C and Bs, and minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and selenium. It also contains eight of the essential amino acids that the body cannot produce.
All these vital nutrients are responsible for aloe vera’s anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. You can use aloe vera gel to treat various skin troubles too.
Aloe vera can be used both internally and externally to benefit your body. One of the ways to consume aloe vera is in the form of tea.
Some of the health benefits of consuming aloe vera tea are:
- Boosts your immune system.
- Improves digestion and beats troubles like irritable bowel syndrome or acid reflux.
- Acts as a laxative to get rid of constipation.
- Works as a vermifuge to get rid of intestinal parasites.
- Eliminates toxins from your body.
- Lowers cholesterol levels.
- Improves metabolism and aids weight loss.
- Reduces blood sugar levels.
- Improves skin and hair.
If you wish to include this natural miracle in your everyday life, you can enjoy hot aloe vera tea or beat the summer heat with aloe vera iced tea. We have the 2 best aloe vera tea recipes.
Caution: Aloe vera tea should not be consumed by children and pregnant women, as it could cause intestinal cramps and diarrhea. For others, it is still advisable to consult your doctor before including aloe vera in your daily diet.
Method 1: Aloe Vera Hot Tea
Hot aloe vera tea is extremely simple to prepare. All you need is a cup of your favorite flavored tea, some fresh aloe vera gel and honey to cut the bitter taste of aloe vera gel. For the tea, you can opt for black tea, herbal tea or green tea. You can either get fresh aloe vera gel or juice from the market or learn to make your aloe vera gel.
Things you’ll need:
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Tea of your choice – 1 tea bag
- Fresh aloe vera gel – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1 teaspoon or more, as per taste
Step 1. Brew a cup of flavored tea
- Pour 1 cup of hot water into a small pitcher.
- Dunk 1 tea bag of your favorite tea in it, and let it steep for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Retrieve the tea bag from the pitcher.
Step 2. Mix in aloe vera gel and honey & serve
- Add 1 teaspoon of fresh aloe vera gel to the brewed tea.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey, adjusted as per your taste. You can also use raw agave nectar as a sweetener.
- Stir until the ingredients are blended well.
- Pour the tea into a teacup and enjoy.
Drink this aloe vera tea once every day, especially when you are feeling under the weather, reaping its health benefits.
Method 2: Aloe Vera Iced Tea
If hot tea is not your cup of tea, then opt for this refreshing aloe vera iced tea recipe. Drink it in the morning to revitalize your body and prepare it for a hot summer day. Along with fresh aloe vera juice, you can use any tea of your choice as the base of this aloe vera tea.
Additionally, this aloe vera tea recipe has fresh coconut water that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that boost your immunity and help maintain your body’s fluid balance. The orange juice gives you a fiber boost and improves your bowel movements. Both lemon and orange juice also give you a vitamin C boost to further bolster your immunity.
Things you’ll need:
- Fresh aloe vera gel – ½ cup
- Brewed tea (black or green) – ½ cup
- Fresh coconut water – ¼ cup
- Fresh orange juice – ½ cup
- Fresh lemon juice – ½ lemon
- Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Ice cubes – ½ cup
Step 1. Put aloe vera gel, tea, orange juice and coconut water in a blender
- Pour ½ cup of fresh aloe vera gel into the blender jar.
- Add ½ cup of cool brewed tea of your choice.
- Add ½ cup of fresh orange juice. You can also retain some pulp in the juice for added fiber.
- Add ¼ cup of fresh coconut water.
Step 2. Add honey, lemon juice, ice cubes and blend the ingredients
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw honey. You can adjust the quantity according to your preference.
- Add the juice of ½ of a lemon.
- Add ½ cup of ice cubes.
- Blend the ingredients on high for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour the blend into a glass and enjoy your refreshing aloe vera iced tea.
Drink it at least once every day to boost your immunity and improve your health.
- If you have arthritis pain, drinking aloe vera tea daily can help bring relief.
- In the aloe vera iced tea recipe, you can substitute apple, cranberry, ginger or prune juice for the orange juice.
- You can also check out our remedies to use aloe vera externally for glowing skin.
- Aloe vera can also be used as an excellent hair conditioner.
- When using fresh gel for making aloe vera tea recipes, make sure not to include the yellow latex, as ingesting it could lead to stomach cramps and kidney troubles. Learn here how to store aloe vera gel the right way in advance for your aloe vera tea recipes.