“You can never go wrong with a dramatic red pout.”
What a bother it is when you want to look perfect for your special date but cannot get the lipstick right! As simple as it may seem, applying lipstick perfectly is not an art most of us have successfully mastered yet (of course, we all got friends for whom it is an NBD!). *sigh*
Yes, we know you have been applying lipstick for a very long time! We all have! It is the go-to makeup for every girl. Anytime you need to touch up or pull together, the first thing that all of us ladies do is to apply a layer or two of lipstick.
A simple application of lipstick gives an immediate solution to your lip crisis, but what happens when you want something more? Something like Angelina Jolie! Pouty red lips for the date you have been waiting to get ready for?
- Your Guide to a Perfect Pout
- 1. Exfoliate Your Lips
- 2. Prime Your Lips
- 3. Draw the Outline of Lips
- 4. Fill in Your Lipstick
- 5. Apply Multiple Coats of the Lipstick
- 6. Brush Off the Extra Foundation
- Tips to keep in mind
Your Guide to a Perfect Pout
Every girl dreams of having the perfect pouty lips. Oh no, don’t say you don’t. We know you want them too! So how to get the perfect red pout on point without looking like you took inspiration from Joker of Dark Knight?
Scroll down and get that perfect Angelina Jolie pout. Once you are done, we can assure you your man won’t be able to look away!
1. Exfoliate Your Lips
The very first thing you need to do is to exfoliate your lips. Exfoliation ensures a flawless look by removing the existing dead skin cells on your lips.
Nothing ruins a good lipstick like dead and flaky lips, trust us! For a smooth finish, you need to start with a good base.
Steps for Exfoliation
- Take a blob of lip scrub on your finger and gently rub over your lips.
- You can also make a homemade scrub by mixing honey or sugar.
- Make small, circular motions with your finger for about 30 seconds.
- Rinse your lips with lukewarm water.
- Seal in the moisture with a lip balm.
- Wipe off the extra lip balm with a tissue.
Shhhh… want the easy-peasy way to exfoliate your lips? Apply petroleum jelly on a soft-bristled toothbrush and rub it gently over your lips.
This shortcut method of exfoliation comes handy when you are in a hurry to get ready and cannot go through the entire process (or maybe when you are just lazy). Once you exfoliate your lips and they are soft and plumply, you are ready for the next step.
2. Prime Your Lips
After exfoliation, the next step is to apply foundation or powder on your lips and the skin around your lips. Note that your foundation must match your skin tone.
This step not only gives you the freedom to shape your lips as per your desire, (Hint: fuller lips, girl!) but priming your lips with foundation also makes your lipstick last longer.
Steps for Priming
- Get a foundation of the same tone as your skin color.
- Apply it in a slow circular movement on and around your lips.
- Dust off the excess powder, or if you are using foundation, then gently wipe off the excess foundation.
Priming your lips is a crucial step in determining how your lips will look and how long your lipstick will last!
3. Draw the Outline of Lips
In this step, almost everyone makes one of the most common mistakes - applying lipstick directly! No, never do that. Use a nude color or a matching lipliner of your lipstick and outline your lips with soft strokes.
Steps for Shaping Your Lips
- With a lip liner draw an X shape right in the center of your upper lip.
- The shape of the X will decide how full your lips will look in the end. It also decides the shape of your cupid’s bow (the middle of the top lip).
- If you want a fuller look, then make a broad X.
- Move the lip liner over the cupid bow, in line with the X.
- Draw a V shape at the corners of the lips sideways so that with the outline from the upper and lower lips meeting perfectly well together.
- Outline your lips with soft strokes.
4. Fill in Your Lipstick
Once you have created the perfect outline, all you have to do is fill in the color! Yes, it’s as simple as that! Simple sweeps with the brush on your lips will leave you with perfect red lips, provided that you color inside the lines.
Steps for Applying Lipstick
- Take a lip brush and dab it in your lipstick.
- Swipe this lip brush over your upper lips.
- Move the brush from the center of your lips to the corner of your lip line.
- Use slow, gentle sweeps.
- Apply the lipstick on your lower lips in a similar fashion.
- Uniformly fill in the outline of the lips that you had drawn.
5. Apply Multiple Coats of the Lipstick
If you are looking for a light shade, then one layer of lipstick is enough. However, if you are looking forward to making a statement, then we suggest applying at least 2 coats of lipstick. But don’t forget to blot after each coat. This way you can have a uniformly applied lipstick.
Steps for Multiple Coats
- After you have neatly applied the first coat; blot your lipstick.
- Similarly, apply another coat if required.
6. Brush Off the Extra Foundation
Wouldn’t you want an even skin tone around your lips, right ladies? Especially, after all the efforts that you have put in to apply the lipstick. That’s why you need to clean off the extra foundation.
Steps for Removing Excess Foundation
- Remove the excess foundation for making your skin tone even, using a brush.
Lo and behold! You have got a perfect red pout. Go and slay the world, darling!
Tips to keep in mind
- Never use a lip liner that is darker than your lipstick.
- For blotting your lipstick, fold tissue in half and place it in between your lips. Very gently press down the tissue.
- In order to make a lipstick matte, fold a tissue paper and place it over your lips. Then apply some setting powder on the tissue and remove. Your lips will be sealed and matte.
- If the edges of your lips aren’t clean after applying lipstick, then use cotton and some cream to clean them out.
- Always remove the lipstick stain from your lips. Otherwise, you would look unprofessional and tacky.
- To make your lips extra plumpy, use a highlighter in the middle of your upper lips and blend it with lipstick with your finger.
- Never forget to remove your makeup at the end of the day. Gently wipe off your lipstick using wet tissue wipes. Apply lip balm to leave the skin soft and hydrated.
- For thinner lips, you need to draw a lip line little outside your natural lip line and then fill the lips with the color you want.
- If you have full lips and want to make your lips look thin, then use natural or nude lip liner and draw the line inside your natural lip line, and then fill in the lipstick.
- To enhance your lip bows, draw a curve on your upper lips and softly blend it with lipstick. This will give you perfect bow lips.
- If you have droopy lips, which make you look sad, then use the lip liner to slightly build up the corners of your lips in upward strokes.
Download this infographic.