For those who don’t know – yes, you need to regularly clean your makeup blenders. If you lack the motivation to clean them, all you need to do is a quick Google search on dirty Beautyblenders.
More than just pretty sponges, Beautyblenders are magic wands when it comes to makeup application. These egg-shaped applicators are efficient in giving your makeup an air-brushed look.
But just like makeup brushes, Beautyblenders and other similar makeup applicators take a lot of abuse. Aside from the usual dirt and product buildup, they soak up sweat and grime with every use, which can lead to bacteria growth.
Using a grungy makeup blender can lead to breakouts and other skin problems. Why chance it, when you can easily clean it in just a few minutes?
The frequency of cleaning your Beautyblender depends on how often you use it. It should be cleaned at least once a week, but if your Beautyblender sees a lot of action, it makes sense that you’ll need to wash it more often. Wash it 2 or 3 times a week if you use it daily. If you use it more than a couple times a day, then you ought to clean it daily.
With regular cleaning and care, the life span of a Beautyblender is three months when used regularly.You can use any of the four methods below to clean your beauty blender or makeup sponge (safe way). You can also watch this mini video below for a quick tutorial.
- Method 1: Using a Blender Cleanser
- Method 2: Using Dish Soap and Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Method 3: Using Liquid Dish Soap
- Method 4: Using a Mild Bar Soap
- Additional Tips
Method 1: Using a Blender Cleanser
From the makers of the original Beautyblender comes the Blendercleanser. It’s available in a liquid version for everyday cleaning and a solid version that is more for spot cleaning. Being specifically formulated to clean the Beautyblender, the Blendercleanser makes good on its promise.
The Blendercleanser has a light lavender fragrance that doesn’t linger for a nice cleaning experience, which doesn’t interfere with the makeup-friendliness of the sponge. It’s made of a special soy-based formula that claims to extend the life of your Beautyblender.
The only downside of using the Blendercleanser is that it’s pricey. But if it fits in your budget, here’s how you can use liquid Blendercleanser to clean your Beautyblender.
- Wet the Beautyblender with plain water and apply a little Blendercleanser to it.
- Using your fingers, work the cleanser up into a lather and work the surface stains out of the sponge.
- Squeeze the Beautyblender to push out the air inside the sponge. This allows it to soak up the sudsy cleaner for deep cleaning.
- Repeat the squeezing several times to work out the inner makeup and grime buildup.
- Rinse out the Beautyblender with plain water, squeezing often until the water runs clean and suds-free. You’ll find that the low-suds formula of the Blendercleanser is quite easy to rinse out.
- Use a soft towel to soak up the excess moisture from the Beautyblender before letting it air-dry.
Method 2: Using Dish Soap and Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
A combination of dish soap and extra-virgin olive oil is the best hack for cleaning your Beautyblender. It’s a cost-efficient method that makes use of readily available ingredients.
The olive oil helps loosen the makeup and pigments built up in your Beautyblender and the dish soap cuts through the accumulated grime, resulting in a thorough and effective cleaning. So if there’s a lot of colorful makeup in your Beautyblender, go for olive oil and dish soap.
Things you’ll need:
- Liquid dish soap – 1½ tablespoons
- Extra-virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Soft towel
Step 1. Combine olive oil and dish soap
- Pour 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil into a bowl.
- Add 1½ tablespoons of liquid dish soap to it.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Step 2. Clean Beautyblender with the solution
- Dunk the Beautyblender into the oil and soap solution. Give it a couple of squeezes to help it soak up the solution.
- Wet it with a little water to produce a lather.
- Knead and massage the Beautyblender, rubbing it between your hands. You’ll notice the old makeup running out of the sponge. Continue until most of the surface appears stain-free.
- Squeeze the Beautyblender several times to work out the grime inside it.
Step 3. Rinse it out
- Once you’ve worked out the stains to your satisfaction, rinse out the Beautyblender with plain water.
- Squeeze it a few times under running water to remove the soap from within.
- Continue until your Beautyblender becomes free of suds.
Step 4. Dry it with a soft towel
- Soak up as much water from your Beautyblender as you can gently with a soft towel.
- Place the Beautyblender in a well-ventilated area to air-dry completely.
Method 3: Using Liquid Dish Soap
For the daily cleaning of your Beautyblender, a simple wash with liquid dish soap should do. Dish soap will effectively cut through the grime and product buildup. Unless you have several days’ worth of colorful makeup in your Beautyblender, a quick wash with liquid dish soap is all it needs.
Things you’ll need:
- Liquid dish soap
- Soft towel
Step 1. Clean Beautyblender with a splash of dish soap & water
- Squirt a little liquid soap on your Beautyblender. Be mindful of the quantity of the soap, as too much soap may take a lot of time to rinse out.
- Wet the Beautyblender and rub it with your fingertips to produce a lather.
- Knead the Beautyblender with your fingertips to remove the grime and product buildup, squeezing occasionally to work out the gunk from within.
Step 2. Rinse it out
- Rinse the Beautyblender with plain water and squeeze out the soap.
- Continue squeezing and rinsing until it’s free of suds.
Step 3. Dry it with a soft towel
Place the clean Beautyblender on a soft towel to soak up the excess water, then let it air-dry in a well-ventilated area.
Method 4: Using a Mild Bar Soap
Using a mild bar soap is another option for cleaning your Beautyblender. It works almost as well as a solid store-bought cleanser. It will also be much gentler on your hands than liquid dish soap. So if you have sensitive skin, a mild bar soap is a good and cost-efficient alternative to clean your Beautyblender.
Things you’ll need:
- Mild bar soap
- Soft towel
Step 1. Wet Beautyblender
Wet the Beautyblender completely with water. When it’s moistened thoroughly, the soap can easily get in.
Step 2. Clean it with mild soap
- Rub the Beautyblender over the soap bar, so that the soap gets all over the sponge.
- Work up a lather by gently kneading the sponge.
- Work on the surface stains with your fingertips.
- Squeeze and knead simultaneously to draw out the product buildup from inside your Beautyblender.
Step 3. Rinse it out
- Rinse the Beautyblender with plain water.
- Keep squeezing and rinsing until all the lather is gone and the water runs clean.
Step 4. Pat it dry with a soft towel
- Wrap the soaking wet Beautyblender in a soft towel and give it a gentle squeeze until the towel soaks up as much of the water as possible.
- Leave your Beautyblender in a well-ventilated place to air-dry completely.
- Use warm water to wash and rinse the Beautyblender for better results.
- Handle your Beautyblender delicately while washing. Avoid pinching and twisting to keep it in a good shape and without any rips and tears.
- Clean your Beautyblender at night, so it’s all clean and ready the following morning.
- Let the Beautyblender dry completely after every cleaning to prevent mold.
- Dirty or clean, always dry your Beautyblender before storing. Storing a damp Beautyblender in your makeup bag right after using it can promote bacteria growth.
- Don’t subject your Beautyblender to harsh cleaning products. It will not only ruin your Beautyblender before its time but may also be harmful for your skin when you use the freshly cleaned Beautyblender.
- If you find daily cleaning quite tedious, buy more than one Beautyblender. Then, you can just throw the dirty ones in a net lingerie bag and wash them in your washing machine. Use a gentle cycle along with an extra rinse cycle and use Blendercleanser instead of laundry detergent.
- You can also use the given methods (except the washing machine) to clean your makeup brushes.
Summary of How to Clean a Beauty Blender:
Download this infographic.