In today’s tech-savvy world, an average person spends 8 hours and 41 minutes per day using electronic devices like TVs, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. That is 20 minutes more than the average sleep time! So, it’s no surprise that our eyes get tired and look worn out, too.
The skin under the eyes is more delicate than any other part of your face. Anything from tired eyes to wiping your eyes or crying can cause puffiness underneath the eyes.
Although there are various under-eye creams available in the market, there’s nothing like a chemical-free product to naturally soothe our eyes and bring back that natural shine.
A store-bought under-eye cream works by temporarily compressing the blood vessels and coating the skin for it to look toned. However, these do not have long-lasting effects and might damage your skin in the long run.
We bring to you the easiest and inexpensive, two best DIY homemade eye cream recipes using natural ingredients to deal with dark circles, wrinkles under your eyes, puffy and tired eyes.
- Method 1: Coconut Oil & Vitamin E Under-Eye Cream for Dark Circles
- Method 2: Coffee-Infused Under-Eye Cream for Wrinkles
Method 1: Coconut Oil & Vitamin E Under-Eye Cream for Dark Circles
Coconut oil packs a punch of nutrition and is beneficial in whatever way you use it. It has great skin-moisturizing properties and strengthens the underlying tissues of the skin. It also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, which help soothe the delicate skin under the eyes.
Vitamin E helps tighten the skin and ward off premature aging. Both vitamin E oil and frankincense essential oil helps in healing and lightening any hyperpigmentation on the skin.
Things you’ll need:
- Extra-virgin coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Vitamin E – 3 or 4 capsules
- Frankincense essential oil – 10 drops (optional)
Step 1. Melt the coconut oil & add vitamin E oil and frankincense oil
- Put ¼ cup of extra-virgin coconut oil in a bowl and microwave it for 15 seconds. You can also melt the oil by setting up a double boiler.
- Allow it to cool off.
- Puncture 3 or 4 vitamin E capsules and squeeze the oil into the coconut oil, while stirring it.
- Optionally, add 10 drops of frankincense essential oil.
Step 2. Blend the ingredients well & apply
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Transfer the mixture into a reusable container.
- Refrigerate the salve for about 1 hour. This solidifies the mixture, giving it a creamy texture.
Apply a small amount of this cream under your eyes before going to bed every night. You should wake up to fresher looking eyes.
You can store this under-eye serum in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
Method 2: Coffee-Infused Under-Eye Cream for Wrinkles
Coffee has high levels of antioxidants, which can be easily absorbed into the skin. If you place ground coffee under your eyes, you’ll see that it reduces the puffiness. This happens because coffee shrinks the blood vessels and removes the excess water that has inflated your under-eye area.
Coffee also has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the dark circles. Plus, it tightens the skin under the eyes. Shea butter is known for its exceptional healing qualities.
The beeswax creates a barrier to trap moisture into the skin as well as protect it from impurities. This doesn’t mean that it suffocates the skin, it allows the skin to breathe sufficiently. It is rich in vitamin A, which is great for skin hydration and cell regeneration.
Almond oil penetrates deep into the skin and removes all the dirt clogging the pores and follicles. The rosehip seed oil acts as a skin tightening agent and the chamomile oil has calming effect on the inflammed skin.
Things you’ll need:
- Beeswax – ½ tablespoon
- Shea butter – 2 tablespoons
- Ground coffee – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Almond oil – 5 to 6 tablespoons
- Rosehip seed oil – 1 teaspoon
- Vitamin E – 3 capsules
- Chamomile essential oil – 7 drops
- Frankincense essential oil – 10 drops
Step 1. Put ground coffee and almond oil in a jar
- Put 2 to 3 tablespoons of ground coffee in a jar.
- Add 5 to 6 tablespoons of almond oil. Make sure that it completely covers the coffee grounds.
- Mix them well.
- Put the lid on the jar and let it sit for as long as 1 week so the coffee infuses into the almond oil.
Step 2. Strain the coffee-infused oil into a bowl
- Strain the almond oil infused with coffee through a cheesecloth into a separate bowl.
- Bundle up the cheesecloth and squeeze out as much oil as possible.
Step 3. Melt beeswax and shea butter in a double boiler
- Set up a double boiler.
- Put ½ a tablespoon of beeswax and 2 tablespoons of shea butter in the glass bowl.
- Heat it on low temperature and stir it until everything is melted.
Step 4. Combine all the ingredients
- Allow the melted beeswax and shea butter to cool down, then pour the coffee-infused oil into it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of rosehip seed oil to it.
- Add 7 drops of chamomile essential oil and 10 drops of frankincense oil to it.
Step 5. Add vitamin E and mix it well
- Puncture 3 vitamin E capsules and squeeze the oil into the blend.
- Mix everything well.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate it.
Apply a small amount of the cream gently under your eyes before going to bed every night. This DIY eye cream will keep up to 6 months.
- Water can spoil your DIY under eye cream, so make sure you keep water away from it.
- DIY creams like these may take 1 or 2 days to thicken.
- Under-eye creams work best when your skin is clear of all dirt and oil. So, make sure you wash your face before using any of the DIY under eye creams.
- Ensure that under eye cream or under eye gel is the last thing that you apply before going to sleep.
- Refrain from using any ingredients in these cream recipes if you are allergic to them.