Despite all precautions, your skin accumulates dirt and grime throughout the day, especially if you have naturally oily skin.
While many commercial products are available in the market to cleanse or wash away these impurities, such products often contain harsh chemicals that can cause irritation or an allergic reaction.
Additionally, these products are pretty expensive and can burn a hole in your pocket since you have to use a face wash or cleanser on a daily basis.
You can buy the cheaper versions, but they can be extremely harsh on your skin and cause more damage than good.
The solution is obvious: make your own DIY face wash or cleanser. Don’t worry if you’re clueless about how to proceed. We’ve done the groundwork for you.
In fact, if you are a fan of DIY skin care products, you can also check out our very own tried and tested recipes to make DIY sunscreen and after-sun spray, DIY chemical-free shampoos, and even DIY peel-off facial masks to deep clean pores and blackheads.
Here are four extremely easy and hassle-free methods to make your own DIY homemade face wash for the clearest skin ever.
- Method 1: Oil Cleanser
- Method 2: Honey Face Wash
- Method 3: Charcoal Cleanser
- Method 4: Aloe Face Wash
Method 1: Oil Cleanser
When you use a commercial face wash to cleanse your skin, it often strips away the natural oil (sebum) that your skin produces.
This leaves your skin dry and, consequently, the skin produces more oil to compensate for the loss of natural oil. This excess sebum production can lead to clogged pores, blackheads, and acne.
Using an oil-based cleanser removes just the excess oil, along with dirt and impurities, from your skin. The oil dissolves the sebum present on the surface of your skin. As you wipe off the cleanser, you’ll also wipe off the excess oil without drying out your skin.
Olive oil suits all skin types, while liquid Castile soap foams easily and is especially suitable for sensitive skin. This DIY face cleansing wash also contains glycerin, which keeps your skin moist and glowing.
Things you’ll need:
- Olive oil (contains vitamin E) – 2 teaspoons
- Castile soap (gentle cleanser) – 2 tablespoons
- Glycerin (acts as a humectant) – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- Clean, empty bottle
Step 1. Combine Castile soap and olive oil
- Put 2 tablespoons of pure Castile soap in a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
Step 2. Add glycerin and water
- Add 1 tablespoon of glycerin into the mix.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water as well.
Step 3. Mix well and pour into a clean bottle for use daily
- Use a small, motorized whisk to blend all ingredients together.
- Let the mixture settle for a few minutes in the bowl.
- Then, transfer it via a funnel into a clean bottle for storage. You can clean and reuse an old lotion bottle for this purpose.
- Apply some of this oil cleanser over your face and neck area. Gently massage it into your skin for about 1 minute, then wipe it off with a washcloth dipped in warm water.
You can store and use this oil cleanser for up to 1 year.
Method 2: Honey Face Wash
Honey has been used for centuries to heal wounds and repair damaged skin. This amber liquid has moisturizing and skin-lightening properties that leave you with a soft, golden glow.
Combined with olive oil, liquid Castile soap and distilled boiled water, this face wash can be used daily for soft, supple and blemish-free skin.
Things you’ll need:
- Honey (moisturizes, promotes skin regeneration) – ⅓ cup
- Castile soap (gentle cleanser) – ⅓ cup
- Distilled boiled water – 3 tablespoons
- Olive oil (contains vitamin E) – 2 tablespoons
- Clean, empty lotion bottle
Step 1. Pour the distilled water and Castile soap into a mixing bowl
- Pour 3 tablespoons of distilled boiled water in a mixing bowl.
- Add ⅓ cup of liquid Castile soap.
Step 2. Add honey and olive oil into the container
- Pour ⅓ cup of honey into the bowl.
- Finally, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Step 3. Transfer it to a recycled lotion bottle and use daily
- Whisk all the ingredients together to blend them thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture into a clean lotion bottle. If needed, use a funnel to prevent spills.
- Gently rub this cleanser into your skin for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water, then pat dry your face with a soft towel.
- Use it daily to wash your face, while also keeping your skin supple and soft.
You can safely store this homemade face wash in your refrigerator and use it for up to 2 months. So, then what are you waiting for, get hold of these ingredients to make your own DIY homemade face wash for the clearest skin ever.
Method 3: Charcoal Cleanser
Activated charcoal absorbs and removes impurities from the skin. It’s particularly effective at removing excess oil and softening the grime and gunk out of blackheads.
Mixed with coconut oil, baking soda, and essential oils, this scrub gently removes all the grime and dead skin cells, giving your face a flawless appearance.
Things you’ll need:
- Activated charcoal powder (absorbs excess oil and impurities) – 1 tablespoon
- Organic coconut oil – ½ cup
- Baking soda (exfoliates) – 1 tablespoon
- Rosemary essential oil (reduces inflammation) – 2 or 3 drops
- Lavender essential oil (controls acne) – 2 or 3 drops
Step 1. Put activated charcoal and coconut oil in a bowl
- Put 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal powder in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in ½ cup of organic coconut oil.
Step 2. Add baking soda and essential oils
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda into the bowl.
- Carefully add 2 or 3 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of rosemary essential oil as well.
Step 3. Blend well, pour it into a bottle and use 2 or 3 times a week
- Use a tiny, motorized hand blender or whisk to thoroughly mix all the ingredients.
- Transfer it via a funnel into a clean lotion bottle.
- Use the scrub to gently exfoliate your skin, then softly pat dry your face with a white cotton towel.
You can easily store this cleanser for up to 6 months and use it 2 or 3 times a week for clear and smooth skin.
Method 4: Aloe Face Wash
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera gel (soothes and repairs skin) – ¼ cup
- Almond oil (moisturizes) – 2 tablespoons
- Castile soap (gentle cleanser) – 1 tablespoon
- Rose water (hydrates) – 2 tablespoons
- Lavender essential oil – 4 or 5 drops
- Vitamin E oil (nourishes and protect) – 1 capsule
Step 1. Put aloe vera gel and almond oil in a bowl
- Pour ¼ cup of fresh aloe vera gel into a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of almond oil.
Step 2. Add rose water and Castile soap
- Add 2 tablespoons of fragrant rose water. You can buy it or make your own rose water at home.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of liquid Castile soap.
Step 3. Add the lavender and vitamin E oil
- Add 4 or 5 drops of lavender essential oil as well.
- Pierce and empty a vitamin E capsule into the mix.
Step 4. Whisk everything together and store in a bottle for daily use
- Whisk it until all the ingredients are completely blended together.
- Transfer the prepared blend into a pump bottle for easy use.
- Use it daily to wash away all the dirt and impurities from your face.
This DIY face wash, when stored in a refrigerator stays good for 2 to 3 weeks. You can now make your own DIY homemade face wash for the clearest skin ever.
You can add a capsule of Vitamin E to any of the DIY cleansers, or add ½ Aspirin tablet as they help preserve the product naturally.