Clearing out your trash can is one thing, keeping it stench-free is completely another. It can get a little tiring to wash your trash can every week or even to wash it at all.
People who like to keep things in order but are not always able to get done what they need to do, this is for you. You wake up in the morning trying to plan your schedule, and ina blink of an eye, the day is over. You feel like you had so much to do but with such little time.
For those of us who are constantly trying to fit a load of tasks into a tight schedule, easy-breezy life hacks can come in handy. We bring you something similar to make your life a little easier and odor-free.
We’re talking about trash can deodorizers. Learn to make these little deodorizer tabs, and you won’t have to worry about the stinking trash every other day.
In this recipe, we used baking soda. It is amphoteric, meaning it can act as both an acid and a base. So if your garbage smells because of items like fruits, vegetables, and garlic or acids like vinegar and cheese, baking soda will help neutralize the pH levels of both. It is a great odor eliminator.
The vanilla extract in this recipe has a very strong pleasing fragrance. In addition to trash can deodorizers, it can be used to remove odor from the refrigerator.
The lemon essential oil has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that, combined with its fresh smell, makes a perfect natural ingredient to eliminate any odor.
The lavender essential oil also has antibacterial properties that help kill odor-causing bacteria, providing a fresh and clean scent when mixed with vanilla extract and lemon essential oil.
The distilled water in the recipe helps all the ingredients bind to each other and into the desired shape.
Steps to make DIY trash can deodorizers
Things you’ll need:
- Baking soda – 1½ cups
- Vanilla extract – 1 tablespoon
- Distilled water – ¼ cup
- Lemon essential oil – 20 drops
- Lavender essential oil – 10 drops
Step 1. Combine baking soda, vanilla extract and distilled water in a bowl
- Put 1½ cups of baking soda in a mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Pour ¼ cup of distilled water into the bowl.
Step 2. Add the essential oils & mix well
- Dribble 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 20 drops of lemon essential oil into the mixture.
- Blend all the ingredients well.
Step 3. Put the mixture into silicon molds
- Scoop out the mixture and fill silicon molds in the shapes of your choice.
- Press the mixture down in the mold. Doing this ensures that the mold is tightly packed and sturdy. Otherwise, your deodorizer tab will fall apart.
Step 4. Allow the deodorizer tabs to dry overnight & store them in an airtight container
- Let the deodorizer tabs dry overnight.
- Remove them from the molds when they’re completely dry.
- Store them in an airtight container.
- Simply drop one deodorizer tab in the trash can each time you change the trash bag.
- Use normal filtered water if you don’t have distilled water.
- If the dough is too dry, add a few drops of water. If it is too wet, add a little more baking soda.
- Ensure that your mixture doesn’t have any clumps and looks like cookie dough when you are done mixing. You can use your hand instead of a spoon to break up any clumps.
- It could take 2 to 3 days for the tabs to dry completely if you live in a humid climate. Running a dehumidifier can help them dry quickly.
- Make sure you store the deodorizer tabs in an airtight container. They might become loose and start to fall apart otherwise.