No makeup routine is complete without some classy eyeshadow. Don’t you just love this amazing product that comes in dozens of hues and textures? The only downside of eyeshadow is the fact that they don’t last very long. The natural oils of your skin can make your eye makeup look creased, fragmented, or faded all too soon.
This is where an eyeshadow primer comes to the rescue. Trusted and recommended by both professional makeup artists and amateur makeup enthusiasts, a primer helps keep the eyeshadow smooth, smudge-proof, and (most importantly) in its place for hours. It also aids in enhancing your application and the appearance of your eye makeup. An eyeshadow primer absorbs excess oil from your skin, creating a smooth and even surface for your eye makeup.
Eyelids tend to have a slight natural tone to them that may prevent some eyeshadow shades from popping just right. A primer can help ensure that your eye makeup looks vibrant and bright. Nude and white primers work well for intensifying eyeshadow intensity.
However, many store-bought cosmetic products often contain toxins and other harsh ingredients that can end up damaging your skin. They may trigger allergies or lead to other more serious health or skin maladies. Excessive use of chemical-laden makeup products can also end up darkening the skin over your eyelids. Moreover, makeup and cosmetic products can be really expensive.
A simple way to steer clear of these chemicals and toxins and save money is by making your own DIY eyeshadow primer recipes. Here are two simple methods to make an eyeshadow primer with the help of some basic ingredients that you’ll find in your home or at a nearby store.
- Method 1: Eyeshadow Primer with Aloe Vera
- Method 2: Eyeshadow Primer with Foundation
- Tips for making eyeshadow primer at home
- Did you know?
Method 1: Eyeshadow Primer with Aloe Vera
The beauty benefits of aloe vera are quite well known, and this is the reason why it is used in so many skin care and beauty products. Aloe gel contains several minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and other essential nutrients that are great for the skin. It also boasts antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antipruritic properties.
Aloe vera is one of the most popular natural ingredients used for skin care, hair care, and healthcare. Aloe vera gel can help revive dull and damaged skin, treat various skin ailments, combat signs of aging, treat sunburn, keep the skin moisturized, and heal minor wounds and burns, among other things. It also makes an excellent natural makeup remover.
Aloe vera gel is the perfect base ingredient for your eyeshadow primer as it helps remove excess oil from your skin.
Bentonite clay is often used in face packs and face masks owing to its amazing cleansing abilities. It helps rid the skin pores of impurities, dirt, excess oil, etc. It is great for your skin and has no side effects.
Cornstarch helps in thickening the primer.
Things you'll need:
- Bentonite clay - 1 teaspoon
- Cornstarch – 2 teaspoons
- Aloe vera gel – 1 ½ tablespoon
Step 1. Combine the ingredients
- Add 1 teaspoon bentonite clay to a glass bowl.
- Put in 2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Lastly, add 1 ½ tablespoon of aloe vera gel to the rest of the ingredients.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients well
- Use a plastic spoon to mix the ingredients well.
- Transfer the primer to a container and store.
Using the Aloe Vera Primer
Take a small amount of the aloe vera primer and rub in gently over your eyelid. Allow it to dry for just 20 to 30 seconds. Apply your favorite eyeshadow once the primer is completely dry.
Stored in the refrigerator, this eyeshadow primer should stay good for about 2 weeks.
Method 2: Eyeshadow Primer with Foundation
Your foundation, concealer, or BB cream can also be used to make a DIY eyeshadow primer. The moisturizer acts as a base for your primer and helps keep your skin nourished. The baby talc can help you get the right consistency. All these ingredients can easily be found in your makeup kit. Why invest in expensive store-bought primers when you can get the job done for free.
- Baby talc
- Face moisturizer
Step 1. Combine the ingredients
- Pour out some foundation in a bowl.
- Add the moisturizer or lotion to it.
- Finally, add the baby talc to the other ingredients.
- Stir and mix the ingredients to get a smooth mixture.
Step 2. Transfer and store the eyeshadow primer
- Make sure the primer has no lumps.
- Transfer the primer in a container and store.
Using the Foundation-Primer
Apply the primer onto your eyelid and let it dry completely before applying your eye makeup.
Tips for making eyeshadow primer at home
- Make sure any cornstarch you use is GMO-free.
- You may use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch.
- You may use body butter instead of a face moisturizer.
- You can use cornstarch instead of baby talc.
- Do not use a lotion that is too runny.
- Add in a few drops of vitamin E oil to make your eyeshadow primer more skin friendly. This is especially recommended for those with dry skin.
Did you know?
- Eyeshadow primer can also be applied solo to give your eyelids a smooth texture and a more even hint of color.
- Apply the primer as close to the eyelash line as possible.
- You may also use the primer under your eye if you are planning to put on some eye makeup there.
- It is best to let the primer set in for a minute or two before applying the eye makeup over it. Making your own eyeshadow is much easier than you think. Check out.
- Learn different styles for applying eyeliner too with these quick and easy ways.