Did your post-work cocktail last night turn into two, three and then four?
It happens! But then those mornings … phew!
Waking up with a hangover is not at all pleasurable. A stinging headache that throbs whenever you try to move even an inch, along with a heavy head, nausea and dizziness. Moving about, eating meals and even sleeping – everything becomes difficult. Such is the price you pay for drinking excessively the night before.
And so you decide not to indulge during the week ever again! But should weekends be the only time reserved for happy hours? Well, no!
When consuming alcohol in excess, symptoms of a hangover will appear over time. The ethanol content of alcoholic beverages leads to heavy morning-after conditions.
There are a number of ways to get rid of a hangover. Many aim to eliminate the alcohol quickly from your body and counteract dehydration and its other effects. You just have to find the one that works for you and you can drink to your delight.
Here are a few simple tricks, tips and remedies to tackle every morning-after symptom of drinking that might take a toll on you.
- Method 1: Stay Hydrated
- Method 2: Take a Cold Shower
- Method 3: Use Lemon
- Method 4: Use Oil Pulling
- Method 5: DIY Gatorade
- Method 6: Get Proper Sleep
Method 1: Stay Hydrated
One of the simplest natural remedies for relieving a hangover is drinking water.
Water intake helps counteract the dehydrating effect of alcohol. Moreover, it helps dilute the impurities in your stomach.
- Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water during the day to keep yourself hydrated. Ice cold water is best, but you can sip normal water as well.
- Alternatively, you can grab some electrolyte-filled energy drinks to help your body recover from the dehydration. They will help replenish the sugar and water content that the alcohol depleted from your body and flush out toxins, thus getting you back to normal.
Method 2: Take a Cold Shower
Freshening up always works wonders for any kind of tiredness, fatigue or even a hangover. It helps normalize the raised temperature of your body, thus making you feel more alert and active.
A sudden splash of cold water gives your body a jolt, which induces the quick production of adrenaline, thus increasing the body’s tolerance for the hangover’s effects.
Taking a short, cool shower awakens your inner systems as well as relieves the headache and overall dryness symptoms associated with a hangover.
Method 3: Use Lemon
Lemon is one of the best remedies for getting rid of a bad hangover. It helps alleviate the after-effects of excessive drinking like dizziness, muscular pain, queasiness and sensitivity to light and sound.
Lemon helps control the blood sugar levels and restore the pH levels, thus rebalancing your body.
Things you’ll need:
- Lemon (helps alleviate the after-effects of excessive drinking)
- Water (re-hydrates your body)
Single-Step Treatment: Drink lemon water
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into a glass of water.
- If you like, you can add 1 teaspoon of honey as a sweetener.
- Drink the lemon water first thing in the morning, followed by 2 or 3 times throughout the day.
Method 4: Use Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a natural detoxifying technique, which helps flush harmful toxins out of your system.
Your body stores toxins primarily in the salivary glands. When you pull oil and spit it out, you draw out impurities that you absorbed the night before, thus helping you feel better and refreshed.
Single-Step Treatment: Swish coconut oil in your mouth
- Swish 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil around in your mouth and through your teeth for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spit the oil out, then rinse your mouth with water.
- Do this first thing in the morning after drinking, on an empty stomach before you even brush your teeth.
Note: Do not gargle or swallow the oil.
Method 5: DIY Gatorade
Gatorade works wonders to help you get rid of a hangover. A mixture of salt and electrolytes, it works amazingly to replenish the water lost from your body while drinking.
Alcohol dehydrates your body. Drinking lots of liquids helps flush the alcohol out of your system and restore the water balance in your body.
Things you’ll need:
- Water (re-hydrates your body) – 2 cups
- Orange juice (gives body instant energy) – 1 cup
- Honey (helps metabolize the extra alcohol in the body) – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice (controls blood sugar level) – 1 tablespoon
- Granulated sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- Table salt – 3/4 teaspoon
Step 1. Pour the liquids into a pitcher
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pitcher or jug.
- Add 1 cup of orange juice, 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the water.
Step 2. Add dry ingredients and mix well
- Add 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, 3/4 teaspoon of table salt and 1 teaspoon of sea salt to the liquids.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Chill and consume your DIY Gatorade.
This homemade Gatorade will last in your refrigerator for at least 2 weeks, so you can prepare a batch well ahead of time before a party.
Method 6: Get Proper Sleep
One of the best methods of dealing with a hangover is to stay in bed until your room stops spinning. In fact, sleeping is one of those essential elements that help your body recover from a bad hangover.
Alcohol takes a long time to run through your system, so sleeping it off allows your body to do what it does naturally.
Try spending more time sleeping the day after a night of partying. It helps relieve tiredness, fatigue, a headache and other symptoms of a hangover.
If you have trouble falling asleep, listen to some soft, soothing music to lull you into a deep slumber.
- After drinking, take 1 or 2 B-complex vitamins as alcohol depletes the vitamins in your body. B vitamins aid effective functioning and detoxification of your liver.
- Eat vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, as these contain enzymes that support liver detox.
- Do not drink alcohol on an empty stomach.
- Avoid eating anything sweet while drinking, as this tends to double the effect of drinking.
Summary of How to Get Rid of Hangover
Download this infographic.