Your first date, an important event you’ve looked forward to for days and weeks, you decide to wear his favorite dress – a black, backless maxi – and suddenly you spot an acne breakout right there in the middle of your back, and it has ruined it all.
However dramatic it may sound, an acne breakout is just enough to bring a pause into your love life. Those bumps on your skin are a result of hair follicles clogged with dirt, dead skin and excessive sebum, thus forming a breeding ground for germs and bacteria that give rise to painful, itchy red bumps.
While acne may appear anywhere from your face to your shoulders, arms, chest, buttocks and legs, the trouble becomes graver if they appear on your back and make it difficult for you to get proper sleep. What’s more, acne on your back cannot be easily seen, so you cannot analyze its severity.
Although most acne will go away quickly, some stubborn pimples just stay there, leaving you agitated and frustrated yet helpless. While over-the-counter creams and serums are available, they usually come with heavy price tags, adverse effects, and the results are not satisfying and often just a short–term solution.
How do you cope with the problem then? Natural remedies. Yes, these are inexpensive and, most importantly, they are effective. Just find the one that suits your skin type, keep up with the routine and you shall soon feel grateful.
Here are five simple natural remedies to help you get rid of back acne in a week. You may need to ask a family member or friend to assist you if you can’t reach the affected areas. Don’t be embarrassed to do so.
- Method 1: Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Method 2: Use Tea Tree Oil
- Method 3: Use Dish Soap (Dawn)
- Method 4: Use Witch Hazel
- Method 5: Use Aspirin and Aloe Vera Gel
Method 1: Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar serves as an incredible treatment for acne. Acidic in nature, it naturally eliminates acne breakouts by clearing out dirt, excess sebum and dead skin buildup. Loaded with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, ACV balances the pH levels in your body and unclogs the pores.
Step 1. Dilute ACV with water
- Dilute some ACV (about 1 tablespoon) with an equal portion of water.
Step 2. Mix and apply the diluted ACV on your acne
- Mix the solution well.
- Soak a cotton ball in the diluted ACV and apply it on your back.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry with a soft towel and apply a light, water-based moisturizer.
Repeat the process 2 or 3 times a week, until you achieve the desired results.
Also, you can mix 1 teaspoon of ACV and a little raw honey in a glass of warm water and drink the concoction twice every day for effective results.
Method 2: Use Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree essential oil has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that eliminate bacteria causing back acne and thus help you cope with the problem.
Step 1. Dilute the tea tree oil
- Pour a small amount of water in a bowl.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of tea tree essential oil to the water.
Step 2. Mix and dab the diluted oil on the affected area
- Mix the solution thoroughly.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and dab it on the affected area.
- Let it dry for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat the treatment twice daily for a week. Alternatively, you can leave the oil on your back overnight.
Note: Do not apply undiluted tea tree essential oil on your skin as this may lead to itching, irritation, redness and blistering. Always dilute the oil with water in a 1:3 ratio.
Method 3: Use Dish Soap (Dawn)
An antibacterial agent, Dawn dish soap works as an exfoliator to eliminate your dead skin cells, thus clearing up clogged hair follicles and treating or preventing acne.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply dish soap on your acne
- Soak a cotton ball in dish soap and dab it on your acne.
- Let it dry for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft towel.
Repeat the treatment 2 times a day until you see a positive result.
Note: If you have a sensitive skin, dilute the dish soap in half the amount of water.
Method 4: Use Witch Hazel
Witch hazel, an anti-inflammatory herb, contains catechol tannin, an active astringent that works to cleanse clogged skin pores. It also leaves your skin moisturized and rejuvenated.
Single-Step Treatment: Dab witch hazel on your acne
- Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel and dab it on the affected area.
- Let it dry for 20 minutes, then rinse your skin with lukewarm water.
- Optionally, you can mix a few drops of tea tree essential oil in witch hazel and apply it on the acne for effective results.
Use the treatment 2 times a day until you see a difference.
Method 5: Use Aspirin and Aloe Vera Gel
Aspirin contains salicylic acid, a compound that has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that restricts the breeding ground for acne-causing bacteria, and thus serves as a good treatment for mild acne.
Aloe vera gel has antimicrobial and healing properties that soothes the irritated skin around the acne.
Things you’ll need:
- Aspirin (restricts the breeding of acne-causing bacteria) – 2 tablets
- Aloe vera gel (soothes the irritated skin) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Add fresh aloe vera gel to aspirin
- Place 2 aspirin tablets in a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of fresh aloe vera gel.
Step 2. Mix and dab the solution on your acne
- Mix the ingredients until the aspirin dissolves into the aloe vera gel.
- Dip a cotton ball in the solution and dab it on the acne.
- Let it dry on your back for 20 minutes, then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
Use the treatment once every day until your acne heals.
- When fighting back acne, wear breathable, clean and loose-fitting cotton clothing. This will prevent further irritation from the fabric rubbing on the acne and also allow air to circulate to the skin.
- Try sleeping on your side to avoid rubbing your back against the bed while sleeping.
- Always use clean sheets and blankets, as dirty and grimy linens can affect the health of your skin.
- Drop the backpack while suffering from back acne. It will only worsen your condition. Resume once you have cleared up the acne.
- Drink herbal teas like green, chamomile or rooibos tea. They help clear up your acne from within.
- Incorporate fruits and vegetables into your diet. They help detoxify your body and improve your immunity.
- Water flushes toxins and impurities out of your body. Increase your water intake to between 100 and 135 ounces (3 to 4 liters) on a daily basis until your condition clears up.
Summary of How to Get Rid of Back Acne in a Week
Download this infographic.