Did you know that your body has a balance of good bacteria and bad bacteria? And did you know that it might cause major health issues if this equilibrium is disturbed? Many things can cause an imbalance and allow the bad microbes to multiply out of control and make you ill.
Candida albicans is one microbe that commonly proliferates and causes an infection. It is a kind of fungus or yeast that can cause fungal infections like oral thrush, candidiasis, and candidemia, which is a serious infection of the bloodstream.
In a perfectly healthy immune system, Candida albicans exists harmlessly in the mucous membranes of the skin like the abdomen or the vaginal area. But a weak immune system or a poor diet can result in a bacterial imbalance and cause a Candida infection.
The following are different types of Candida infections:
- Method 1: Apple Cider Vinegar
- Method 2: Garlic
- Method 3: Probiotics
- Method 4: Coconut Oil
- Method 5: Oregano Oil or Leaf Extract
- Method 6: Caprylic Acid
- Method 7: Hydrogen Peroxide
- Method 8: Cinnamon
- Method 9: Baking Soda
- Method 10: Tea Tree Oil
- Method 11: Diet
- A weak immune system may lead to a yeast infection.
- An improper or high sugar diet can lead to an imbalance of Candida fungi.
- Antibiotic medicines kill both the good and bad bacteria, which causes an imbalance.
- Overconsumption of alcohol leads to the growth of Candida.
- It is common for Candida to overgrow in people with diabetes.
- Various health conditions, such as pregnancy, using dentures, transplantation of organs, and kidney failure, can contribute to an imbalance.
- Chronic stress may cause a candida infection. When under stress, your body releases a hormone called cortisol that weakens your immune system.
- It can occur in people with hypothyroidism.
- Wearing wet or sweaty cloths for too long is also a key factor.
- Feeling exhausted all the time or chronic fatigue.
- Constant mood swings or a hormonal imbalance.
- Frequently occurring urinary tract or vaginal infections.
- Various sinus infections like a persistent cough, an increase in nasal congestion and allergies.
- Intestinal trauma like continuous bloating, burping, flatulence or stomach cramps.
- Persistent skin and nail fungal infections.
- Avoid long-term consumption of antibiotics, birth control pills, and steroid pills.
- Stay away from sugary food and eat a balanced diet.
- Try meditating to eliminate stress.
- Change wet or sweaty clothes immediately.
- Wear loose and breathable clothes.
- Do not use fragrant feminine hygiene products.
- If you have diabetes, manage your diet accordingly.
- Maintain a hygienic lifestyle.
Here are some effective home remedies you can use to get rid of candida and eliminate the fungus infection naturally.
Method 1: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties, due to the presence of acetic acid in it. This inhibits the growth of fungi and eliminates it completely. Including apple cider vinegar in your daily diet will balance the pH level of your body, riding you of any bacterial and fungal infections.
Single-Step Treatment: Dilute apple cider vinegar in a glass of water & drink
- Pour 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and mix it well.
- Drink this solution on an empty stomach.
Drink this solution 2 or 3 times a day to treat the infection.
Method 2: Garlic
Garlic is a natural antifungal and antibiotic ingredient that kills fungi effectively without killing the good bacteria in your body. If you like the taste of garlic, then include it in your daily diet.
Single-Step Treatment: Eat garlic cloves every day
- Peel and crush 2 - 3 garlic cloves and consume it with water every day.
- Alternatively, crush 2 - 3 garlic cloves and mix it with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Consume this once every day.
Method 3: Probiotics
Probiotics are basically healthy or good bacteria that protect and strengthen your immune system. There are various naturally occurring probiotics, such as yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut. Including these in your diet will help prevent and treat fungal or bacterial infections.
Single-Step Treatment: Consume yogurt every day or take probiotic supplements
- If you’re planning on taking probiotic supplements, consult your doctor for the appropriate dosage.
- Fermented foods are naturally probiotic. Include 1 cup of yogurt in your diet every day.
Method 4: Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has various health benefits, due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties. Include coconut oil in your diet to keep infections at bay. Use extra-virgin coconut oil for this remedy to work.
Single-Step Treatment: Add coconut oil to your food and smoothies
- Consume 1 to 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil directly every day.
- You can also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the oil to your smoothies and beverages.
- Use coconut oil instead of olive oil for salad dressings.
Method 5: Oregano Oil or Leaf Extract
Oregano is not just aromatic; its oil is a powerful natural antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial agent. It is one of the most popular treatments for Candida infections. The Candida yeast is less likely to develop a resistance to oregano oil, which makes all the more effective any time you need it.
Things you’ll need:
- Oregano oil - 1 drop
- Extra-virgin olive oil - ½ tablespoon
- Water – 3 tablespoons
Single-Step Treatment: Combine the three ingredients & drink it
- Mix 1 drop of oregano oil and ½ tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil into 3 tablespoons of water.
- Drink the mixture 3 times throughout the day, before or after each meal.
- Begin with 1 drop on the first day, 2 drops on the second day and 3 drops on the third day. Continue with 3 drops per day for 2 to 4 months.
Use this remedy every day until the symptoms of the infection clear up completely.
Method 6: Caprylic Acid
Caprylic acid is a natural antifungal ingredient found in coconut oil. However, it can be purchased from a pharmacy in tablet or capsule forms as well.
Single-Step Treatment: Consume 1 capsule every day
- The recommended dosage for an adult is 1,000 mg to 2,000 mg per day. Take the capsule 3 times a day, 30 minutes before each meal.
- Start with a smaller dosage if you’re a first-time user. Take a 500-mg capsule once or twice a day for a few days, then increase the dosage.
Do this for 2 to 3 months to stop the overgrowth of Candida.
Method 7: Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is an antibacterial agent that breaks into oxygen and water when it comes in contact with the yeast.
Single-Step Treatment: Use 3% hydrogen peroxide to treat Candida
- Mix 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide into 1 cup of water, and dip a cotton ball in it to apply it on the infected area.
- You can also mix 1 pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide into a bathtub full of water and soak yourself in it.
- If you’re suffering from a vaginal yeast infection, mix 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 1 quart of distilled water and douche your vagina.
Use these remedies once a day to treat a Candida infection.
Method 8: Cinnamon
Cinnamon does more than just make your dessert tasty. It has antibacterial, antiparasitic and antifungal properties. Including cinnamon in your diet can help you greatly by getting rid of any fungal or bacterial infection in your body. Just add it to your French toast, sprinkle it on your coffee or have a cup of cinnamon tea.
Single-Step Treatment: Consume cinnamon powder by dissolving it in water
- You can consume 1 to 4 grams of ground cinnamon bark mixed in warm water per day. One gram of cinnamon powder is equal to ¼ teaspoon.
Do this daily for 1 to 2 months.
Method 9: Baking Soda
Baking soda is alkaline in nature and has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. When it comes in contact with bacteria or yeast, it alkalizes the infected area, which makes it difficult for the yeast to survive. It balances the pH levels of the body and draws water content from the fungi, eventually killing it from dehydration.
Single-Step Treatment: Dissolve baking soda in water & drink it
- Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda into 1 cup of warm water.
- Drink this water on an empty stomach.
Do this twice a day until the symptoms fade away.
Method 10: Tea Tree Oil
The Australian aborigines used tea tree oil to treat sore throats, skin infections, common colds and insect bites. It has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that will soothe the inflamed or swollen area of your body. It also has antifungal and antibacterial properties that help get rid of yeast and bacterial infections.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply diluted tea tree oil on the infected area
- Mix 5 or 6 drops of tea tree oil into ¼ cup of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the affected area.
Do this 1 to 3 times a day until the infection clears up.
Method 11: Diet
What you eat plays a very important role in healing a Candida infection. A few dietary pointers you should follow to get rid of Candida and eliminate the fungus are:
- First and foremost, avoid consuming sugary food and drinks.
- Eat food that is rich in vitamin B12, such as animal protein and organ meats.
- Consume naturally fermented probiotics like yogurt, kefir, kimchi, and sauerkraut. These probiotics will rectify the imbalance in your intestinal flora.
- Do not eat refined carbohydrates like bread, cookies or cakes for about 1year.
- Adds spices that have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties into your food.
- Eat gluten-free food like quinoa, millet, and buckwheat if you have cravings for bread or cookies.
- Eat good quality saturated fats like coconut oil, oregano oil, and butter.
- It is important to chew your food properly. Not chewing your food properly puts a lot of pressure on your stomach, which contributes to infections.
- Grapefruit seed extract is also antibacterial. Mix about 4 drops of this extract into 200 ml of water. Drink it 3 times a day.
- Drink unsweetened cranberry juice every day to cure a yeast infection.
- Consume black walnut extract or capsules as per the directions on the label. It has antifungal, antibacterial and astringent properties.