There is no enemy of hair as fierce or frustrating as the much-dreaded devil – split ends! The two, three, and sometimes four-headed monster never fails to ruin the beauty of hair.
Hair is the most significant adornment of a human body that enhances its beauty, splendor, and grandeur. If you imagine yourself without hair, you definitely wouldn’t recognize yourself!
On average, the human head has about 150,000 strands of hair that endure dust, dirt, wind, and pollution daily. And don’t forget the curlers, dryers, straighteners, styling tools, gels, serums and other hair products packed with chemicals.
While these probably make your hair look great for special occasions, no doubt they damage it to a considerable extent as well. And the obvious result is – those dreaded split ends!
Split ends tend to occur when the outer protective layer of your hair cuticles wear away due to external stressors like chemicals and styling tools. This leads to weak, damaged, and dehydrated hair that often results in split ends.
While the only true way of treating split ends is to snip them off, there are certain things you can do to prevent the further damage that can be caused due to split ends between salon visits.
Here are 5 easy home remedies you can use to get rid of split ends easily.
- Method 1: Use the Trimming Technique
- Method 2: Use an Oil Treatment
- Method 3: Use an Egg Mask
- Method 4: Use Mayo
- Method 5: Use Henna
- Tips You Should Keep in Mind
Method 1: Use the Trimming Technique
The best and the most effective solution to fix split ends is to trim them off.
Trimming off the damaged hair helps prevent further damage.
Single-Step Treatment: Twist your hair into sections & trim
- Divide your hair into small sections and twist them as much as you can. For long hair, you can just grab a pen, pencil, or any other similar object and twist and roll your hair around it.
- As you twist your hair, the split ends pop out from the twisted bundle. All you have to do is trim these pop-outs to get rid of the split ends.
Method 2: Use an Oil Treatment
Oiling is one of the best remedies for treating split ends and dry, damaged hair.
Massaging with oil helps nourish your hair and restore the moisture in your scalp. Oil tends to form a protective sheath around your hair, thus reducing the damage that is caused during the washing process.
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil
- Dried rosemary herb
- Essential oil
Step 1. Add some rosemary to the oil and heat it
- Add a small amount of dried rosemary to some coconut oil.
- Heat it in the microwave for 15 seconds.
Rosemary works wonders for your hair by helping to combat premature graying, encouraging blood circulation in the scalp, toning down the action of sebum and ensuring healthy, strong and non-greasy hair.
Alternatively, you can choose to add another herb, even a combination, of your choice.
Step 2. Add your favorite essential oil and apply the blend
- Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the oil solution and mix it in well. (We used lavender essential oil since it helps promote hair growth, balance the production of sebum, and prevent hair loss.)
- Massage this oil onto your scalp.
- Work the oil around on your scalp and hair (from roots to tips) in gentle circular motions, ensure that the oil covers every bit of your hair.
- Leave it on for 45 to 60 minutes. If you have extremely dry hair and extensive split ends, you can leave the oil on overnight.
- Wash the oil out using lukewarm water and a mild shampoo.
- Repeat the process twice every week for effective results.
Alternatively, you can use olive oil or almond oil for the treatment.
Method 3: Use an Egg Mask
Eggs are rich in proteins and essential fatty acids that help treat split ends.
They help strengthen your hair follicles while making your hair smooth, tangle-free, and resistant to breakage.
Things you’ll need:
- Egg – 1
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Take up all the ingredients together
- Break 1 egg and empty the contents into a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of honey and olive oil.
Step 2. Whisk the ingredients thoroughly and use
- Whisk thoroughly until the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Apply this mask on the lengths and ends of your hair.
- Let it sit on your hair for 1 hour.
- Rinse it out first with water, followed by normal shampooing and conditioning.
Repeat this twice every week on a regular basis for softer, healthier, and shinier hair.
Method 4: Use Mayo
Mayonnaise is an excellent remedy for treating dry and damaged hair full of split ends.
The oil in the mayo conditions your hair, leaving it soft, shiny, and healthy.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply mayo twice a week
- Apply the required amount of mayonnaise directly onto your hair.
- Leave it on for at least 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with normal water.
- Finish by shampooing your hair normally.
Repeat the treatment twice a week for effective results.
You may notice a faint smell in your hair for 3 to 4 days after application, but this will fade away eventually.
Method 5: Use Henna
Henna is one of the most powerful ingredients for all your hair troubles.
Here’s how henna helps your hair:
- It easily soaks into the hair follicles to nourish them.
- It acts as a natural conditioner to moisturize your hair.
- It helps maintain the pH balance of your scalp and hair, thus keeping your scalp hydrated, reducing dandruff, and preventing the formation of split ends.
Henna will impart some color into your hair. However, you can reduce or increase the color effect by adjusting the amount of time you let the henna mixture sit before use.
Things you’ll need:
- Henna powder – 5 tablespoons
- Indian gooseberry powder – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Yogurt – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Prepare henna mixture
- To prepare the henna mixture, put about 5 tablespoons of henna powder in a bowl. It is always best to prepare the henna mix in an iron bowl, as this helps the herb release the maximum color. However, plastic or a glass bowl will also do.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of Indian gooseberry powder and lemon juice along with 2 tablespoons of yogurt to the henna powder.
Step 2. Mix all the ingredients and apply
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly so that there are no lumps in the mixture, and it has a smooth and thick consistency.
- Cover the mixture and let it stand for 45 to 60 minutes (you can also leave it overnight). The longer you allow it to sit, the stronger the henna color will be. However, for those desiring fewer color effects, 15 to 20 minutes of resting the mixture will suffice.
- Divide your hair into small sections and apply the mixture evenly, covering every bit of your hair and scalp.
- Let the mixture sit on your hair for 30 minutes, then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
Repeat the process once every 15 days for most effective results.
Tips You Should Keep in Mind
- Never brush your hair when wet, as this can loosen the hair shafts, leading to hair loss, and damage hair when it is weakest.
- Get your hair trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks to remove split ends and promote growth.
- Never use hot water to wash your hair. Hot water strips away protective oils from your hair and dries it out.
- Invest in hair-trimming scissors to keep your hair healthy.
- Avoid using paper scissors to trim your hair at home; they will likely cause your hair to fray, producing split ends.
- Limit the use of heating appliances, hair colors, highlights, and other chemicals that can weaken and break your hair down.
- Always use a wide-tooth comb through your hair to prevent snaps and breakage that result in split ends.
- Do not wash your hair every day. Washing your hair a couple of times a week gives your hair time to restore its natural balance of oil, keeping it soft, shiny, and smooth.
- Never swim with your hair unprotected, as chlorinated water can do serious harm to your hair, especially if using dyes or other chemicals. Apply some coconut or olive oil to prevent possible damage to your hair.
Summary of How to Get Rid of Split Ends
Download this infographic.