Excess facial hair can be a sensitive subject for many women. It can be the cause of low self-esteem, embarrassment or even the feelings of inadequacy.
Almost everyone, at least on some level, has facial hair. For some, it may not be a problem. However, for others it may appear to be darker and more coarse, prompting them to look for ways to get rid of it.
Although facial hair is primarily found on the upper lip, sideburns, chin and along the jawline, some women may experience hair growth on their cheeks and forehead, which can cause embarrassment and emotional distress.
Though hair does protect the body by providing insulation, excess hair can often ruin a person’s ability to interact on a social level. So, if you are among those facing a similar situation, fret not!
Here’s the solution – two simple remedies that you can choose from according to your preference to get rid of unwanted facial hair quickly and easily.
- Method 1: Use Homemade Sugar Wax
- Method 2: Use Corn Flour, Egg and Sugar
Method 1: Use Homemade Sugar Wax
Homemade sugar wax is an effective remedy that will not only wax away your unwanted hair but also works like bleach. (1)
Things you’ll need:
- Sugar – 3 tablespoons
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Put sugar and honey in a bowl
- Put 3 tablespoons of sugar in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of honey on top of the sugar.
Step 2. Microwave the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes
- Microwave the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes, making sure that the sugar dissolves completely.
Step 3. Mix in lemon juice
- Trickle a few drops of lemon juice into the melted mixture and stir thoroughly.
Alternatively, you can microwave the ingredients for an additional 2 minutes until it is well blended.
Step 4. Allow the mixture to cool before using
- The mixture is in a molten state and requires cooling before use. Spread the contents of the bowl evenly on an aluminum sheet or a dish, and allow it to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- While the mixture is still warm, apply it to the areas with unwanted hair growth with a small spatula or a crafting stick.
- Place a waxing strip over the mixture, pressing it down firmly. You will then use one hand to pull your skin tight while at the same time using the opposite hand to quickly remove the strip off in the same direction as the hair growth. This method is somewhat painful, but it’s one of the most effective treatments for unwanted hair.
You can store the leftover wax in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Method 2: Use Corn Flour, Egg and Sugar
Egg whites work as an excellent natural peel-off mask for getting rid of unwanted facial hair.
Along with the egg whites, the sugar in this recipe helps remove dead skin cells, thus making the skin look fresh and rejuvenated along with clearing away impurities!
You can also use DIY peel-off masks to remove blackheads and clean pores for a healthy skin.
Things you’ll need:
- Corn flour – ½ tablespoon
- Egg – 1
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Break an egg and extract the egg white
- Break 1 egg and separate the egg white into a bowl.
Step 2. Blend in sugar and corn flour
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and ½ tablespoon of corn flour to the egg white.
Step 3. Whisk the ingredients together and use
- Whisk or beat the mixture until there are no lumps and it forms a smooth paste.
- Apply this as a mask on your face and leave it to dry for 20 minutes.
- Using firm hands start at your chin and gently peel the mask in an upward direction ending at your forehead. This mask may bring a little tear to your eyes as you remove it because it is slowly lifting out the hair with it. But, trust us, it is worth it.
Use the treatment 3 or 4 times a week for best results.
- Patience is the key to these home remedies.
- Drink plenty of water and have a healthy diet for glowing skin.
- Taking a steam bath before proceeding with any of the above remedies will help open up your skin pores, thus accelerating easy removal of hair as well as whiteheads.
- Wash the treated area well afterward to ensure proper hygiene.
- If you have unusual hair growth along with issues like increased muscle mass, decreased breast size and deepening of the voice, consult your doctor to ensure that there are no underlying conditions.
- Tannir D, Leshin B. Sugaring: an ancient method of hair removal. Dermatologic surgery: An Official publication for American Society for Dermatologic Surgery.
- R. H. S. S. Ediriweera, Premarathna NYS. Medicinal and cosmetic uses of Bee’s Honey – A Review. Ayu: An International Quarterly Journal of Research in Ayurveda.
- Smit N, Vicanova J, Pavel S. The Hunt for Natural Skin Whitening Agents. International Journal of Molecular Sciences.
Summary of How to Get Rid of Unwanted Facial Hair (Quick and Easy)
Download this infographic.