Growing mermaid-length hair can take a while. The wait can feel like an eternity, especially when you’re trying to grow out a horrendous haircut or if you just want in on the bun drop challenge.
For a lucky few, growing long and luxurious hair requires doing absolutely nothing. But for the rest of us, it takes patience and perseverance for months or even years.
A number of factors play an important role in your hair’s growth rate. These include your age, health status, diet, hormones, seasonal changes and climate. Emotional factors, such as trauma, stress or anxiety, also affect growth because they reduce the blood and oxygen supply to the scalp, which is essential for healthy hair.
However, you need not give up on that dream of Rapunzel-like hair. You too can achieve it by eating a nutritious diet, following a proper hair care regimen, and applying holistic and all-natural hair masks weekly.
To begin your quest for a flawless mane, try whipping up a DIY hair mask for hair growth.
Here are the top five DIY homemade hair masks for maximum hair growth. If you have dry, dull and frizzy hair, you can also check out these hair masks to tame them.
Apart from these DIY hair masks, you can also try out these DIY homemade shampoo recipes for gorgeous hair.
Note: The quantities of the ingredients in the recipes are for medium-length hair. You can increase them proportionately as needed for your hair length.
- Method 1: Egg & Olive Oil Hair Mask
- Method 2: Onion Hair Mask
- Method 3: Coconut, Avocado & Rosemary Hair Mask
- Method 4: Castor Oil & Honey Hair Mask
- Method 5: Indian Gooseberry & Aloe Vera Hair Mask
Method 1: Egg & Olive Oil Hair Mask
Eggs and olive oil are not just staple ingredients for a healthy body. They’re also very nourishing for your hair.
Eggs are naturally rich in proteins and fatty acids that fill in keratin gaps in the hair shafts. They are also rich in essential minerals that boost hair growth, such as sulfur, phosphorus, iron, zinc and vitamin E.
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants that ensure a healthy scalp to provide a favorable environment for hair to grow.
The mask also uses plain yogurt, which acts as a cleanser for the scalp, removing dead cells and oils clogging the hair follicles. The lemon juice adds antibacterial properties to the mask, thus preventing scalp problems like dandruff.
Things you’ll need:
- Egg (supplies keratin) – 1
- Plain yogurt (scalp cleanser) – 2 teaspoons
- Lemon juice (antibacterial) – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil (antioxidants) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Combine the egg, yogurt, olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl
- Break open 1 egg into a bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice as well.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients and use the hair mask once a week
- Use a hand blender to whip the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Use a cosmetic brush to apply the mask evenly on your hair and scalp. It’s easiest to apply the mask on damp hair.
- Leave the mask in your hair for 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Shampoo your hair as usual.
- Use this mask once a week to give your hair a keratin boost and promote healthy hair growth.
Method 2: Onion Hair Mask
As much as you hate the smell of onions, your hair loves them. Onions are rich in sulfur that promotes collagen production in your scalp and thus allows new hair follicles to grow. They are also rich in antioxidants that can prevent premature graying of your hair. The antibacterial properties of onions also help keep scalp problems at bay.
Things you’ll need:
- Red onion juice (promotes collagen production) – ¼ cup
- Honey (antioxidants) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Mix the honey and onion paste
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to ¼ cup of red onion juice.
- Mix the two well.
Step 2. Apply the onion hair mask once a week
- Apply the onion mask on your hair and scalp using a hair dye brush.
- Leave in the mask for at least 30 minutes. You can wear a shower cap to prevent all that dripping and leave the mask in your hair overnight.
- Rinse out the mask with plain or lukewarm water, then shampoo as usual. You can also make a DIY shampoo to keep it all-natural.
- Use this mask 1 or 2 times per week for maximum hair growth.
Method 3: Coconut, Avocado & Rosemary Hair Mask
Coconut has long been used to strengthen hair and give it a beautiful sheen. If your hair feels dull and lifeless, try out this homemade mask for maximum hair growth.
Extra-virgin coconut oil contains essential fatty acids that easily penetrate deep into the hair follicles as well as the scalp and nourish the strands from within. The oil is also an antifungal and antibacterial agent that helps ward off dandruff, scalp acne, infections and inflammation.
Avocados are also a great source of healthy fats that leave a deep conditioning effect on your hair.
The mask also contains rosemary essential oil, which is popular for preventing baldness and hair loss.
Things you’ll need:
- Avocado – ½
- Extra-virgin coconut oil – 1 teaspoon
- Aloe vera gel – 1 teaspoon
- Rosemary essential oil – 10 to 12 drops
Step 1. Mash half an avocado in a bowl
- Scoop out all the pulp from half of an avocado and put it in a bowl.
- Use a fork to thoroughly mash the pulp. You can also use a high-speed blender to get a consistent paste.
Step 2. Add aloe vera gel, coconut and rosemary oil
- Pour 1 teaspoon of fresh aloe vera gel on the mashed avocado.
- Add 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil.
- Finish by adding 10 to 12 drops of rosemary essential oil to it.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
Step 3. Apply the coconut-avocado hair mask once weekly
- Using a dye brush, apply the avocado hair mask on each and every strand, covering the entire hair shaft. Apply the mask on your scalp as well.
- Tie up your hair to prevent the mask from dripping.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it out.
- Follow it with your regular shampooing.
- Use this enriching hair mask 1 or 2 times a week for frizz-free hair and faster hair growth.
Method 4: Castor Oil & Honey Hair Mask
Over the past couple of years, castor oil has truly emerged as a panacea for health and beauty remedies. The thick, pale yellow oil is packed with nutrients, such as omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids and vitamin E, which deeply nourish your hair.
The oil also contains the much-coveted ricinoleic acid that helps balance your scalp’s pH level. It can also replenish the scalp’s natural oils and undo some of the damage of harsh chemical hair products that may be clogging the hair follicles and preventing normal hair growth.
Since castor oil is highly viscous, mixing it with olive oil makes it easier to apply and wash off later. Olive oil itself adds essential antioxidants to the mask that help strengthen your hair.
If your hair is naturally quiet frizzy, you can mix in some honey for extra moisturizing.
Things you’ll need:
- Castor oil (unclog hair follicles) – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil (antioxidant) – 1 tablespoon
- Honey, optional (extra moisturizing) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Mix olive oil, castor oil and honey
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of castor oil into a bowl.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- If you have frizzy hair, add 1 tablespoon of honey as well.
- Use a hand blender to whisk the ingredients.
Step 2. Apply the castor oil mask on your hair once every week
- Apply the oil pack on your hair, covering each and every strand from the roots to the ends.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or wrap a cloth around your head. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse it out, then shampoo your hair as usual.
- Use the castor oil mask once every week to keep your hair strong and shiny and promote faster growth.
Method 5: Indian Gooseberry & Aloe Vera Hair Mask
Indian gooseberry, also known as amla, is rich in phytonutrients that help increase blood circulation in the scalp and strengthen hair follicles. They also stimulate healthy hair growth. Additionally, the antioxidants present in amla help fight free-radical damage and thus is considered an excellent ingredient to prevent hair loss and gray hair.
Aloe vera helps repair dead hair follicles on the scalp and stimulate dormant follicles, promoting hair growth. It also conditions your scalp, prevents itching and reduces dandruff.
Rosemary oil also helps in reducing hair loss.
Things you’ll need:
- Indian gooseberry (amla) powder – ½ cup
- Coconut oil (deep nourishment) – 1 tablespoon
- Aloe vera gel (repair dead follicles) – 2 tablespoons
- Rosemary essential oil (prevent hair loss) – 10 to 12 drops
Step 1. Combine amla powder, aloe vera gel, coconut oil and rosemary oil
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera juice in ½ cup of amla powder.
- Add in 10 to 12 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Also add 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil.
- Use a spoon to mix all the ingredients into a lump-free paste.
Step 2. Apply the hair pack once weekly
- Use a dye brush to apply the mask evenly on your hair. Apply it on your scalp as well.
- Leave the mask in for 1 hour for it to work its magic.
- Wash it out with a mild shampoo.
- Use the mask once weekly to promote healthy hair growth and prevent premature gray hair.
- Get regular haircuts to snip the splits ends off and prevent further breakage of your hair.
- Always use a conditioner after shampooing your hair. Conditioner helps replace the lipids and proteins inside the hair shafts and prevents hair thinning.
- Use an apple cider vinegar rinse after you wash your hair to maintain a healthy scalp and softer hair.
- Load up on hair-boosting vitamin supplements, after consulting with your doctor.
- Use sateen fabric pillowcases instead of cotton covers to avoid hair breakage from friction.
- Do a cold water rinse at the end of each shower to seal the cuticles of your hair.
Summary of DIY Homemade Hair Masks for Maximum Hair Growth
Download this infographic.