When put plainly, detoxification is simply the process of eliminating all the negative effects and toxins from the body. People often associate the need for detoxing with drinking alcohol, smoking and substance addictions. However, a healthy body also needs detoxification from time to time.
The body absorbs pollutants that are in the air such as emissions from vehicles or industrial plants, herbicides and pesticides used by non-organic produce farms, and chemicals used in cosmetics and even food. These among the few and other toxic elements lead to restricted functioning of the body, and hence supporting your body’s natural detoxification processes becomes desirable.
Detoxification is probably one of the best holistic ways to free your mind and body from unexplained headaches and body pains. Internal detoxification helps to support the kidneys and the colon to flush away chemicals and toxins from the body.
Moreover, adopting a healthier diet and lifestyle that reduces the toxic load on your body helps to boost the immune system and support hormonal balance. As you start to experience the benefits, you will naturally feel less need to rely on substances like caffeine, sugar, alcohol, and nicotine, to name a few.
Here are top 3 ways to support your body’s natural detoxification processes.
- Method 1: Use Detox Foods
- Method 2: Use Detox Drinks
- Method 3: Use a Detox Bath
- # A Salt Detox Bath
- # A Clay Detox Bath
- Tips to help your body detox naturally
Method 1: Use Detox Foods
Here are some amazing foods that help the body accomplish its process of detoxification:
Beets: Beets are loaded with betaine, pectin, magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, vitamins (A, B and C), polyphenols and other nutrients that are powerful substances for cleansing the body. The compounds increase the formation of glutathione (an antioxidant) and superoxide dismutase (an enzyme that helps eliminate free radicals) in the liver, thus aiding detoxification processes. Moreover, beets are an important vegetable that helps restore the normal pH balance in the blood, as well as lowering blood pressure. (1)
Ginger: Ginger is a detoxifying herb that not only cleans your system but also rejuvenates it throughout. Ginger contains gingerols and shogaols, compounds that improve the functioning of the intestines by speeding up the movement of foods, thus efficiently getting rid of toxins and waste from the essential organs.
Garlic: An amazing detoxifying food, garlic is loaded with sulfur, a compound that attracts heavy metals such as lead by unfastening them from the walls of softer tissues in the intestines and causing them to cling on to the sulfur instead. A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology demonstrated the efficacy of garlic in reducing the lead concentration in rats and highlighting its therapeutic benefits. (2) This helps fight harmful bacteria and yeast in the intestines. Moreover, garlic aids the production of glutathione, an antioxidant that reduces toxin damage in the liver and the lining of your digestive system.
Cabbage: Cabbage contains hefty amounts of glucosinolates and sulfur-containing compounds that make it a powerful detoxifying food. It effectively absorbs and breaks down harmful chemicals to help flush them out of your system. Plus, the high amounts of fiber in the veggie assists proper bowel emptying.
Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds contain both soluble and insoluble fiber that helps cleanse and detoxify your body. They help in natural removal of toxins and waste by regulating proper intestinal and bowel functions. Furthermore, flaxseeds are rich in essential fatty acids, particularly omega-3s that help to suppress inflammation and maintain a healthy immune system.
Apples: Apples are rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber. While the soluble fiber, pectin, helps prevent plaque from forming in blood vessels, the insoluble fiber, cellulose, assists the digestive system in quickly moving food through your intestinal tract. Both types of fiber also promote a healthy balance of digestive bacteria in the bowel.
Cucumbers: Cucumbers are another amazing food that helps in the elimination of toxins. They are a great low-calorie food that provides water to maintain hydration, helping the kidneys to flush out toxins through your urine, plus fiber to aid bowel function.
Other than the regular vegetables and fruits, try this power-packed detoxifying smoothie to cleanse your system.
# Green Smoothie
Green smoothies are the most popular way of detoxifying the body. It helps the body eliminate harmful toxins while offering a blend of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
Things you’ll need:
- Spinach – 2 cups
- Cucumber, peeled and chopped – 1 medium
- Green apple, chopped – 1
- Ginger – 3 to 5 pieces
- Lemon – 1
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Water – about 1 cup
Step 1. Throw the fruits and veggies in a blender
- Put 2 cups of spinach (thoroughly washed and blanched) in a blender.
- Add the chopped chunks of 1 medium-sized cucumber and 1 green apple to the spinach.
Step 2. Blend in the sweet and sour
- Sweeten your smoothie with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Throw in 3 to 5 chopped chunks of ginger and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the mix.
Step 3. Pour water into the blender
- Pour about 1 cup of water into the blender.
This allows easy mixing and blending of the coarse veggies, fruits, and herbs.
Step 4. Blend until smooth and enjoy
- Blend all the ingredients thoroughly until the mixture has a smooth consistency.
- Pour your green smoothie into a Mason jar, sip and enjoy.
Begin with drinking 1 cup of smoothie every day and gradually increasing the amount to 2 to 3 cups a day for at least 3 weeks.
Method 2: Use Detox Drinks
While there are many detoxifying drinks available in the market, it is best to go natural. There are a number of fruits, vegetables, and herbs that can be added to water to detoxify your body.
We have listed below the benefits of some of the ingredients that can be consumed individually or combined together to make your own detox drink.
Water: Water plays a vital role in eliminating waste and toxins from your system. The more water you take in, the more toxins are flushed out of your body through urine.
Lemon: Lemon helps regulate the digestive tract, contains vitamin C to stimulate the production of bile in the liver, and makes it thinner for free flow.
Green tea: Green tea is loaded with antioxidants, especially catechins that assist the liver in eliminating free radicals from the body. It also prevents dehydration and speeds up your metabolic rate.
Watermelon: Watermelon contains citrulline, an amino acid that helps the liver and kidneys filter to flush out ammonia from the body. In addition, it is high in water content.
Mint leaves: Mint aids digestion and improves the flow of bile from the liver to the gallbladder where it is stored until needed by the intestines, thus breaking down dietary fats and flushing them out.
Besides combining the above ingredients, you can also try our detox recipe, which features apple and cinnamon.
# Apple-Cinnamon Detox Drink
Things you’ll need:
- Apple (red or green), sliced – 1
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 to 3
Step 1. Pour water in a jar and add apple slices
- Fill a jar 3/4th of the way full with water.
- Throw in the slices of 1 apple (red or green) into the water.
Step 2. Throw in cinnamon sticks and allow the water to infuse
- Add 2 to 3 sticks of cinnamon.
- Set this aside for 1 to 2 hours. This allows the goodness and the richness of the apples and the spice to infuse in the water. You can also put it in the refrigerator to allow it to chill.
Enjoy this tasty, healthy and natural detox drink to refresh yourself. You can drink this 2 to 3 times every day. It’s particularly beneficial after a workout.
Method 3: Use a Detox Bath
A detox bath helps to support the detox function of the skin, while also giving you time to relax for mental and emotional peace of mind.
Soaking in water infused with natural salts has a therapeutic effect on your body, both inside and outside. Different salts incorporated in the baths have their own individual benefits in neuromuscular conditions, relieving pain and inflammation, flushing out toxins and much more.
The essential ingredients of a detoxifying bath are:
- Salt mixture: This adds minerals to your system that help pull out unwanted toxins.
- Peppermint essential oil: It helps to stimulate and rejuvenate your system, improving the blood circulation and giving you a little extra energy.
# A Salt Detox Bath
This bath helps soothe skin irritation, boost the level of magnesium in your body and promote overall detoxification of your system.
Things you’ll need:
- Sea salt or Himalayan salt – 1/4 cup
- Epsom salt or Dead Sea salt (magnesium rich) – 1/4 cup
- Baking soda – 1/4 cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 1/3 cup
- Essential oil – 10 to 12 drops
Step 1. Mix the salts together
- Start with 1/4 cup of Epsom salt in a bowl.
- Mix in an equal amount of sea salt or Himalayan salt.
Step 2. Mix in the other ingredients
- Add 1/4 cup of baking soda and 10 to 12 drops of your favorite essential oil to the salt mixture.
- Pour 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar into the bowl as well.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
Step 3. Prepare your detox bath
- Fill a bathtub with warm water and pour the mixture into the bath.
- Soak yourself in the bath for 30 to 45 minutes and pat dry.
# A Clay Detox Bath
The clay detox bath helps to support the detox functions of the skin as the clay binds to heavy metals. Epsom salt further helps in pulling out toxins, while replenishing the level of magnesium in the body.
Things you’ll need:
- Bentonite clay – 1/2 cup
- Epsom salt – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup to add to the salt plus enough to use with the clay
- Essential oil – 10 to 12 drops (optional)
Step 1. Dissolve the Epsom salt in water
- Put 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in a bowl.
- Pour in an equal amount of water.
- Stir until the salt is completely dissolved in the water.
Step 2. Infuse your favorite essential oil
- Blend in 10 to 12 drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Mix thoroughly, then set the mixture aside.
Step 3. Blend bentonite clay in water to make a paste
- In another bowl, mix 1/2 cup of clay and just enough water to make a paste.
- Mix until there are no more clumps in the mixture.
Step 4. Combine the two mixtures
- Pour the salt solution (prepared in Steps 1 and 2) into the clay mixture.
- Mix thoroughly so that no lumps form and you have a smooth consistency.
Step 5. Apply the clay mask and soak in the tub
- Stand in a tub of water and rub the salty clay mix all over your body.
- When the skin mask starts to dry out in a minute or 2, soak yourself in the bath for another 20 minutes or for as long as you like.
Tips to help your body detox naturally
- For a detox bath, the warmer the water, the better and more powerful the detox will be.
- If your water contains chlorine or fluorine, add a few tablespoons of bentonite clay to the water. The clay will absorb the elements so that they are not absorbed into the skin.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients in the above remedies, depending upon your requirements.
- Drink as many fluids (water, fruit and vegetable juices, herbal teas) as you can. This helps eliminate toxins from the system.
- Oil pulling is also an effective method to detox your body as it draws toxins and bacteria out of your body.
- Exercise regularly to help manage stress and improve your energy level. You can try alternative therapies like homeopathy, hydrotherapy, and acupuncture, or taking a hot shower for 5 minutes and following up with 30 seconds of cold water.
- Cut down on sugars in your diet for increased energy and proper metabolism. If you feel a craving for sweets, choose a healthy and naturally sweet option like fruits.
- Dry brushing is an effective remedy for improving blood circulation in your body. It also helps encourage new cell renewal by shedding off dead skin cells.
- Bahadoran Z, Mirmiran P, Kabir A, Azizi F, Ghasemi A. The Nitrate-Independent Blood Pressure-Lowering Effect of Beetroot Juice: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Advances in Nutrition. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29141968. Published November 15, 2017.
- Senapati SK, Dey S, Dwivedi SK, Swarup D. Effect of garlic (Allium sativum L.) extract on tissue lead level in rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11448543. Published August 2001.
Summary of How to Detox Your Body Naturally
Download this infographic.