“Scars are tattoos with better stories.”
While all stories may not be worth revealing, the scars that they leave behind are sometimes difficult to hide. They can even become a reason for embarrassment, especially if the scar is on your face or if the scar has turned into a keloid scar.
Be it from an injury, burn, pregnancy, acne, or any other kind of trauma, it is quite human to sustain a scar or two during your lifetime.
Scars are fibrous tissues that replace the damaged skin after an injury. They can be pink, brown, or white in color, and the texture depends on the nature of the injury, the depth of the wound, and also the location of the wound. Your sex, age, ethnicity, and genes can also influence the appearance of the scar.
While it can take years for scars to lighten, the odds are that the scars won’t go away completely. However, you can certainly improve the texture of the scar and also lighten it significantly using some common, yet effective, household ingredients.
If a recent scar has become a reason of botheration, read on to know the best 10 remedies that can help you reduce the appearance of scars.
- Method 1: Use Aloe Vera
- Method 2: Use Vitamin E Oil
- Method 3: Use Castor Oil
- Method 4: Use Lemon
- Method 5: Use Baking Soda (for Treating Acne Scars)
- Method 6: Use Honey
- Method 7: Use Cocoa Butter
- Method 8: Use Onion Juice
- Method 9: Use Turmeric
- Method 10: Use Coconut Oil
- Tips to lighten scars at home
Method 1: Use Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel is one of the best treatments for scars. Combined with almond oil that is rich in vitamin E, aloe vera gel can easily penetrate the skin, keeping it moisturized and enabling regeneration of the skin. It is anti-inflammatory that also reduces skin irritations during the early stages of new skin formation over the scar. Aloe vera also improves the elasticity of the new tissue being formed.
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera (moisturizes skin) – 1 tablespoon
- Almond oil (rich in vitamin E) – 2 drops
Step 1. Mix almond oil in aloe vera gel
- Add 2 drops of almond oil in 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel in a glass bowl. If the scar is bigger, you can increase the quantities of the ingredients proportionately.
Step 2. Apply the mix on the scar
- Apply the mixture on the affected area with your fingers or using a cotton ball.
- Massage the scar with gentle strokes until the mix is completely absorbed in the skin.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with water. You can also apply the mix at night and wash it off in the morning.
Repeat the application 3 to 4 times every day to see improvement in a week. However, it may take longer for the scar to lighten, depending on the severity of the scar.
Method 2: Use Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E is a lipid-soluble vitamin that can easily penetrate your skin. Its antioxidant nature fastens the cell division process in the skin. Thus, the old scarred skin is replaced by the new skin, resulting in the lightening or disappearance of the scar.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply vitamin E oil on the scar
- Rub vitamin E oil on the scar, especially after a shower and during bedtime.
- Massage the area gently to absorb the oil completely in the skin. You don’t need to wash it off.
Apply the oil 3 to 4 times every day to get palpable results after 1 or 2 weeks. Continue to apply for a month to get rid of the scar completely.
Method 3: Use Castor Oil
Castor oil works by penetrating the skin to soften the area and break up the scar tissue. Castor oil is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E that promotes healing. Castor oil is also a humectant that draws in moisture. Massaging with castor oil also increases blood circulation around the scar to promote faster healing.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply castor oil on the scar
- Wash the scar with mild soap and warm water to remove any debris or excess oil from the skin, which helps open up the pores. You need not pat the area dry.
- Apply and massage the castor oil on the scar and massage the area lightly for 1 or 2 minutes. Alternatively, you can apply the oil on the scar and wrap it with a clean and warm cloth for 20 minutes. Use a hair dryer to warm up the cloth.
- Blot away the excess oil with a cotton ball or cotton cloth.
Repeat the application twice every day to get rid of scars gradually in 1 or 2 months, depending on the severity of the scar.
Method 4: Use Lemon
Lemon is a rich source of alpha hydroxyl acid that helps bolster healthy skin. Lemon also acts as a cleanser and exfoliator to reveal fresh skin, especially in case of acne scars. Citric acid reduces the discoloration of the scar and lightens the area. However, do not use plain lemon juice directly on your face. Dilute it with an equal amount of water and then apply.
If you experience excessive itching or redness, stop using the lemon juice treatment.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply fresh lemon juice on the scar
- Soak a cotton ball in fresh lemon juice.
- Dab the lemon-soaked cotton ball over the scar. You may feel a slight tingling sensation, which is completely normal. It is the acid working on your skin.
- Keep it on for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with tepid water.
- Follow it with a light moisturizer or sunscreen if stepping out in the sun.
Use the application twice daily to treat scar in 1 or 2 months.
Method 5: Use Baking Soda (for Treating Acne Scars)
Baking soda is an excellent remedy to treat acne scars. It works by gently scraping the scar tissue layer by layer. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation and redness of the skin. Baking soda also sloughs off dirt and excess oil from the pores, thus acting as a deep cleanser to prevent the reoccurrence of acne. It also helps in the regeneration of the skin by encouraging production of collagen.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply baking soda paste on the scar
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the scar and massage gently in circular motion for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Keep it on for 5 to 10 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply a light moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated as baking soda can turn your skin dry.
Use the application 2 or 3 times a week to get rid of acne scars in 2 months.
Method 6: Use Honey
Unfiltered and unprocessed honey acts as a natural humectant to keep the scar tissue well moisturized and to speed up healing. Honey is also beneficial in the regeneration of tissues. Combined with baking soda, honey can exfoliate the skin as well as lighten the scarred area.
Things you’ll need:
- Baking soda (exfoliates skin) – 2 tablespoons
- Raw honey (moisturizes skin) – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Make a paste of baking soda and honey
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 2 tablespoons of unfiltered honey in a glass bowl.
- Mix the ingredients well to get a paste-like consistency. You can also increase or decrease the quantities to get a thick consistency.
Step 2. Apply the paste on the scar
- Apply the paste on the scar and massage in gentle circular motions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Soak a towel in warm water and wring out the excess water.
- Place the warm towel on the scarred area until the towel cools off. Wipe off the paste with the same towel.
Use this remedy 3 to 4 times a week to treat the scar in 2 to 3 months.
Method 7: Use Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter is the concentrated fat extracted from cocoa beans. Cocoa butter melts at body temperature and gets easily absorbed into the dermis layer of the skin that can lock in the moisture. When the skin is well hydrated, it can re-grow the skin tissue at a faster pace and in turn reduce the scars. Cocoa butter is also rich in antioxidants that improve the tone and texture of healthy skin and prevents it from damage because of the environmental pollutants.
While cocoa butter may not get rid of the scar completely, it will certainly improve the texture of the skin around the scar and lighten the scar.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply cocoa butter on the scar
- Take a dollop of cocoa butter and massage it on the scar.
- Continue to massage the area in circular motions until the cocoa butter is completely absorbed into the skin.
Apply cocoa butter thrice every day to lighten the scar in 2 to 3 months. The effectiveness will depend upon the texture of your skin and the severity of the scar.
Method 8: Use Onion Juice
Onion juice works on scars by stimulating the production of collagen in your skin. It is also anti-inflammatory and can reduce the redness of the injured skin. The regular application of onion juice replaces the damaged skin with a new layer of skin, and the scar is effectively removed.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply onion juice on the scar
- Soak a cotton ball in fresh onion juice.
- Dab it over the scar and allow it to dry completely.
- You can leave it as it is, or rinse it off if the smell bothers you.
Apply onion juice to the scar 3 to 4 times every day. You should be able to see some improvement only after 2 months, and it can take up to 6 months to get rid of scars effectively. So, you will have to be a little more patient with this remedy.
Method 9: Use Turmeric
Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is loaded with skin-healing properties. It is both anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial that can kill the bacteria if you are prone to acne and the resulting acne scars. Curcumin also has regenerative properties that enable faster-wound healing. Combined with lemon, turmeric can lighten and make the scar disappear for good.
Turmeric can also be used to erase dark spots on the skin.
Things you’ll need:
- Turmeric powder (anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties) – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh lemon juice (skin lightening properties) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Mix lemon juice and turmeric into a paste
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice to it.
Step 2. Apply the lemon turmeric paste on the scar
- Apply the paste on your scar and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and apply a light moisturizer.
Repeat the application twice every day to see improvement in 2 to 3 months. Continue to use until the scar disappears completely.
Method 10: Use Coconut Oil
The saturated fats in coconut oil keep the skin supple and hydrated, ensuring faster healing of the wound. Coconut oil is also rich in vitamin E that speeds up the regeneration of your skin, and the antioxidants prevent the new skin from free-radical damage. The coconut oil remedy works well for treating acne scars too!
Single-Step Treatment: Apply organic coconut oil on the scar
- Massage organic coconut oil directly on the scar for 2 to 3 minutes.
Repeat the application 2 to 3 times every day to treat scars in 3 months.
Tips to lighten scars at home
- Do not expose the scars to the sun as it can slow down the healing process and also turn the scar darker.
- When dealing with scars on face, avoid using makeup on and around the injured area. The chemicals used in makeup products can irritate and inflame the sensitive skin of the scar tissue.
- Don’t touch the scar too often as it can deter the healing process and also increase the inflammation.