Cane molasses has been traditionally used as a sweetener in different types of bread and cookies. But for health benefits, it’s the sibling of molasses that you’ll need – blackstrap molasses.
Blackstrap molasses is a by-product obtained during the processing of sugar, after the third boiling stage, and has been touted as a superfood for its high nutritional value.
It boasts numerous health benefits that made it your grandma’s go-to remedy for anemia, menstrual cramps, constipation, and other ailments. Her traditional wisdom wasn’t wrong after all!
The dark and viscous liquid with a robust flavor is chock-full of minerals, such as iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, copper, and phosphorus. It also contains antioxidants and essential vitamins, such as vitamins B6 and B3, thiamine, and riboflavin. All of these are crucial for fighting illnesses and ensuring a healthy body.
- Health Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses
- Method 1: Anemia
- Method 2: Fibroids
- Method 3: Menstrual Cramps
- Method 4: Constipation
- Method 5: Anxiety, Depression or Stress
- Method 6: Asthma
- Method 7: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or Arthritis
- Method 8: Hemorrhoids or Diverticulitis
- Tips to keep in mind
Health Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses
To elaborate further on its benefits, we’ve compiled the 8 medicinal and health benefits of blackstrap molasses.
Method 1: Anemia
High iron and vitamin B content are just some of the few health benefits of blackstrap molasses that make it an excellent remedy for beating iron- or vitamin-deficiency anemia. (7) About 5 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses can provide 95 percent of your required daily iron intake.
For either of the conditions, consuming blackstrap molasses regularly in warm water will benefit your body immensely.
Single-Step Treatment: Mix blackstrap molasses in warm water & drink it daily
- Add 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to a glass of warm water.
- Mix well and consume the drink.
Drink this once daily for at least 1 month to treat anemia.
Method 2: Fibroids
Blackstrap molasses along with apple cider vinegar can be used to shrink fibroids naturally. Blackstrap molasses helps regulate the hormones that can cause fibroids. It also replenishes the body with minerals and vitamins lost in heavy menstrual bleeding due to fibroids.
Apple cider vinegar works as a neutralizing agent against toxins in the body that may promote the formation of fibroids. The unprocessed variety of apple cider vinegar also contains anti-inflammatory enzymes that help reduce pain and menstrual bleeding.
Things you’ll need:
- Raw apple cider vinegar (neutralizes toxins, anti-inflammatory) – 1 tablespoon
- Blackstrap molasses (regulates hormones) – 1 tablespoon
- Warm water – 1 glass
Single-Step Treatment: Mix blackstrap molasses and apple cider vinegar in water & drink it twice daily
- Add 1 tablespoon each of blackstrap molasses and raw apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- Mix the two well and consume the drink.
Drink this concoction twice every day on an empty stomach for 1 to 2 months to get rid of fibroids completely.
Method 3: Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual cramps can be really debilitating and make it difficult for women to carry on with their daily lives. Consuming blackstrap molasses can help reduce the pain over time. One of the health benefits of blackstrap molasses is that it contains magnesium that works as a muscle relaxer and soothes the uterine walls. (3) It also helps reduce blood clots that aggravate menstrual pain.
Blackstrap molasses has been used to ease the discomforts of menstrual cycles since good old days. According to a 1989 study published in Zentralblatt für Gynäkologie, magnesium had a therapeutic effect on patients suffering from primary dysmenorrhea without any side effects. (4)
Consuming blackstrap molasses in milk also provides calcium to your body that further helps reduce period pain.
Things you’ll need:
- Blackstrap molasses (muscle relaxant) – 1 teaspoon
- Warm milk (provides calcium) – 1 glass
Single-Step Treatment: Mix blackstrap molasses in warm milk & drink it at the onset of pain
- Mix 1 teaspoon of blackstrap molasses into a glass of warm milk.
- Down the tasty drink to soothe menstrual cramps.
Consume this drink as soon as you begin experiencing menstrual pain. Continue taking it once daily for 3 to 4 days.
Method 4: Constipation
Blackstrap molasses has long been used as a folk remedy to treat constipation. The dark, oozy liquid helps draw water to the intestines and ensures smoother bowel movements. The magnesium found in it also serves as a laxative. (1) Moreover, blackstrap molasses helps neutralize the pH of your stomach and thus regulates digestion.
You can either take the molasses with water or mix it in peanut butter. The peanut butter is rich in fiber that helps soften the stool. However, you need to keep your water intake high when consuming fiber-rich foods for constipation.
Things you’ll need:
- Blackstrap molasses (balances pH of the stomach) – 2 tablespoons
- Peanut butter (softens stools) – 2 tablespoons
Single-Step Treatment: Mix peanut butter and blackstrap molasses & consume it in the morning
- Mix together 2 tablespoons each of blackstrap molasses and peanut butter.
- Consume the mix in the morning.
- Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day by drinking plenty of water.
Repeat this remedy for a few days to treat constipation. Discontinue once you get relief.
Method 5: Anxiety, Depression or Stress
In addition to keeping your body healthy, blackstrap molasses can also contribute to your emotional well-being. Certain deficiencies in the body, such as that of vitamin B6 and magnesium, can lead to depression. (2) Poor nutrition can also affect your energy level and give way to stress or anxiety.
A 2004 study published in Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics suggests that a low level of pyridoxal phosphate, the active form of vitamin B6, is associated with depression. (9)
Blackstrap molasses can help provide the necessary vitamin B6 and other nutrients to combat depression and stress. It can help counter premenstrual symptoms as well. Consume it with milk to provide adequate calcium to your body, which is known to reduce anxiety.
Things you’ll need:
- Blackstrap molasses (rich in vitamin B6) – 1 teaspoon
- Warm milk (rich in calcium) – 1 glass
Single-Step Treatment: Mix blackstrap molasses in milk & drink it
- Mix 1 teaspoon of blackstrap molasses into a glass of warm milk.
- Consume the sweet drink.
Consume this drink whenever you feel depression or anxiety creeping up.
Method 6: Asthma
Blackstrap molasses can also help reduce the frequency of asthma attacks as well as lessen their severity. The vitamins found in it help strengthen your immune system and fight off allergens that trigger asthma. (6)
Single-Step Treatment: Consume blackstrap molasses daily to boost your immunity
- Consume 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses once daily for a couple of months to reduce the frequency of asthma attacks.
Method 7: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or Arthritis
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic condition that affects the digestive system. IBS can cause gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation. Consuming blackstrap molasses on an empty stomach can help banish the symptoms successfully by soothing your digestive system.
If you have arthritis, the potassium found in blackstrap molasses will do the trick. Potassium is a prerequisite for healthy bones and strong muscles. Consuming blackstrap molasses helps ensure your body has an adequate amount of this nutrient, thus reducing stiffness and pain in your aching joints. (5)
Single-Step Treatment: Mix blackstrap molasses in water & drink it on an empty stomach
- Mix 1 teaspoon of blackstrap molasses into a glass of warm water.
- Consume this drink daily in the morning on an empty stomach to control IBS or arthritis symptoms.
Method 8: Hemorrhoids or Diverticulitis
Hemorrhoids occur when a number of blood vessels in the anal region become inflamed and swell up. Diverticulitis is a condition in which small pouches or diverticula form on the walls of the colon and get inflamed. Both conditions are quite painful but can be treated with the same ingredient: blackstrap molasses. (8)
Since constipation is one of the common contributing factors, ensuring healthy bowel movements will help prevent and treat these conditions. Consuming blackstrap molasses on a regular basis will ease your digestive system and ensure a healthy gut.
Single-Step Treatment: Consume blackstrap molasses twice daily
- Consume 1 teaspoon of blackstrap molasses twice daily for 1 month to treat hemorrhoids or diverticulitis.
Tips to keep in mind
- When using blackstrap molasses in home remedies, use an organic, sulfate-free variety only.
- Do not go overboard with blackstrap molasses. Use only the advised quantities to avoid any side effects.
- You need to use the remedies consistently for the blackstrap molasses to work. A single dose will give negligible results.
- While blackstrap molasses may be healthier than refined sugar, it is still high in calories and therefore should not be considered as an alternative to sugar.
- Bruera E. UpToDate. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-managing-common-non-pain-symptoms-in-palliative-care. Published April 3, 2017.
- Faraj J, Troy L, Bertone-Johnson E, Ronnenberg A. Vitamin B6 Status is Associated with Depression Among Women with Inflammation. The FASEB Journal. https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1096/fasebj.29.1_supplement.587.18. Published April 1, 2015.
- Proctor M, Farquhar C. Diagnosis and management of dysmenorrhoea. The BMJ. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1459624/. Published May 2006.
- Seifert B, Wagler P, Dartsch S, Schmidt U, Nieder J. [Magnesium--a new therapeutic alternative in primary dysmenorrhea]. Zentralblatt für Gynäkologie. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/20479729. Published February 1989.
- Rastmanesh R, Abargouei AS, Shadman Z, Ebrahimi AA, Weber CE. A pilot study of potassium supplementation in the treatment of hypokalemic patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. The Journal of Pain. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18468955. Published August 2008.
- Sargin SA, Büyükcengiz SASM. Plants used in ethnomedicinal practices in Gulnar district of Mersin, Turkey. Journal of Herbal Medicine. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2210803318300332. Published July 3, 2018.
- Schrier SL. Patient education: Anemia caused by low iron in adults (Beyond the Basics). UpToDate. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/anemia-caused-by-low-iron-in-adults-beyond-the-basics?search=molasses&source=search_result&selectedTitle=4~6&usage_type=default&display_rank=4. Published November 2017.
- Tumpa SI, Hossain MI, Ishika T. Ethnomedicinal uses of herbs by indigenous medicine practitioners of Jhenaidah district, Bangladesh. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265152436. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. Published January 2014.
- Hvas AM, Juul S, Bech P, Nexø E. Vitamin B6 level is associated with symptoms of depression. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15479988. Published 2004.
Informative post! It’s actually best not to dilute or otherwise mix the blackstrap molasses with anything else when consuming it, however: milk, vinegar and sweet fruit juices like apple juice are all acid-producing and can thus cancel out its beneficial, alkalinizing effects.
We’re all prone nowadays to acidosis, thanks to an ever-increasing consumption of convenient (and often cheap) acid-producing foods. Our use of medications to treat the resulting ailments is, most unfortunately, acidifying, itself. Even the antacids and other digestive tract “fixer-uppers” that we’ve been guzzling and gobbling down have long-term and ultimately acidifying effects. So, it’s important that we not blindly follow our apparent health leaders, including those in the medical field (not uncommonly misled/misinformed, themselves, by our profit-driven pharmaceutical companies)… Instead, we should all take the time to research, tailor and carefully implement our own healthy Acid and Alkaline nutritional paths. Be aware that confusion and obfuscations, intentional or not, are commonly found in this realm, as well, so we must try hard to stay focused and not fall back into hopeless complacency.
In the end, by paying closer attention to how we really feel and how what we consume alters it — not just believing what we’re told and continuing to use products/methods that don’t actually resolve our issues — we can dramatically improve our health in lasting ways.
Take care, Folks.
Glad you liked our content and thank you for adding info for our readers. It is best to be self-aware of both the sides of any home remedy or even medicines.