Who doesn’t love going out, grabbing a drink with friends and enjoying a great cocktail? But then there are times when you drink for a little too long and have to wobble home at the end of a fun night. And then, you suddenly realize that you are due at work in just a few hours.
So, you need to sober up fast.
While there are no sweeping cures for a hangover, there are some tricks that can help you reduce the effects of alcohol and sober up fast after drinking too much.
- Stop drinking. When you begin to feel that you have too much alcohol in your system, the first thing to do is to stop drinking.
Falling into bed drunk actually impairs sleep. This is likely to make you feel worse the next day.
- Try vomiting. To get a significant amount of alcohol out of your system, you may need to force yourself to vomit. You may even decide to induce vomiting by touching the back of your throat. This will activate the gag reflex and make you throw up.
- Eat something. Eat something if you’ve been drinking on an empty stomach. The food in your stomach, especially starch, will absorb some of the alcohol so that it doesn’t get to your bloodstream as quickly. This will reduce the effects of alcohol and help you sober up fast.
Eating a meal before drinking can help you stay sober. However, be careful not to over-stuff your stomach.
- Drink water. Water dilutes the alcohol in your system. It also helps keep dehydration at bay, while alcohol does the opposite.
Drinking water in between drinks can help you ward off a hangover. If you keep drinking plenty of water, you will feel much better at the end of the night.
- Drink coconut water. As alcohol is a diuretic, it makes you urinate more, resulting in the loss of electrolytes from your body. Coconut water will help replenish the electrolytes and also re-hydrate your body.
- Drink coffee. Any drink containing caffeine will give you an energy jolt, making you feel alert. As caffeine causes dehydration, make sure to drink more water.
- Brush your teeth and take a cold shower. A cold shower will help jolt your body out of sleepiness. It will also help calm your nerves.
If you can’t do it on your own, ask a friend or your partner to help you out. Brushing your teeth will also help get the taste of the alcohol out of your mouth.
- Take a nap. Sleeping is one of the best ways to sober up fast. As your body rests, it clears out your system. Even a nap will help you feel better. Just make sure to drink enough water and don’t go to sleep on an empty stomach.
- Exercise. When you have had too much alcohol, exercise is probably the last thing on your mind. But moving your body will pump up your blood circulation and keep your body alert.
Simply do a couple of sprints, crunches, jog or just go out and walk for a few minutes in the fresh air. Do not attempt any sort of exercise if you are intoxicated and can barely walk. Don’t do anything that might lead to accidentally injuring yourself.
- Drink a cocktail of pepper and salt. Make an alcohol-free cocktail of a pinch each of black pepper, chili pepper, and salt, along with 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil, 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Mix 1 tablespoon each of vinegar and horseradish separately, then add the mixed egg yolk, tomato paste, and peppers into it. Drink it down in one gulp.
- Being active can help you sober up fast. Dancing or playing a game like beer pong, Go Fish or Taboo while you’re drinking can help you stay active. Just make sure to keep your body moving.
Sitting and drinking will lead to further intoxication, while movements will help you sober up.
- Use reflexology techniques. Acupuncture therapy or reflexology can help clear your mind, even when you are severely intoxicated. Massage your ears and feet to sober up quickly. There is another interesting way to sober up fast. Spread a wet towel on the floor and stand on it barefoot. Then, try to scoop the towel under your feet with your toes until it is fully under your feet. It will help you sober up for a short period of time.
- Do not smoke. Know that smoking and drinking can be a nasty combination. Nicotine can make you feel more alert in the short term. But smoking while drinking alcohol can contribute to a much worse hangover.