We have all been taught the basic formula for clear and beautiful skin is proper cleansing. FYI, whoever told you that left out the fact that flawless skin requires regular exfoliation.
Exfoliation is a fancy word for removing the dead cells from the surface of the skin. Were anyone to ask for one good reason to exfoliate, it is this – refreshed and radiant skin!
When all of that dead stuff is bluffed off, what revealed is renewed, healthy and glowing skin.
Over the days, months and years, the skin goes through a number of changes to adapt to the conditions of the changing seasons, everyday dirt, dust, heat, cold, dryness and what ever else!
Yet many make the mistake of ignoring the troubles their skin is going through, and the result – dull, sagging, and rough skin!
So, if you are looking for smooth and shiny skin all-year-round, exfoliation is the key to making that happen.
Every day, new cells are created in the skin’s inner layer (dermis) and as they form, the old, dead cells are pushed to the outer layer (epidermis).
While many of these dead cells flake off naturally, some hang on for too long, thus fading your complexion and while possibly clogging your pores.
You may even end up with acne, blemishes, and other marks on your skin. Exfoliating regularly will help treat and prevent these problems.
- DIY Scrub Recipes for Exfoliation
- Method 1: Use Coffee
- Method 2: Use a Lemon, Honey and Sugar Scrub
- Method 3: Use Oatmeal
- Method 4: Use Baking Soda
- Method 5: Use Sea Salt
- Method 6: Use Green Tea
- Tips You Should Keep in Mind
DIY Scrub Recipes for Exfoliation
Here are some simple and effective remedies that you can use at home to exfoliate your skin like a pro.
Method 1: Use Coffee
Coffee is an excellent remedy for the proper exfoliation of your skin. It is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties (caffeic acid effect) that are excellent for the exfoliating process.
Moreover, caffeic acid aids the production of collagen, which further helps diminish acne scars and improves the skin’s elasticity.
Things you’ll need:
- Raw sugar (evens out skin tone) – 1 tablespoon
- Coffee grounds (natural exfoliant) – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil (natural moisturizer) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Take coffee, sugar and coconut oil to make a scrub
- Put 1 tablespoon of ground coffee in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of sugar and coconut oil to the coffee.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients and apply the scrub
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly, until oil is completely absorbed into the mixture.
- Use this as a scrub to exfoliate your skin and wipe away the dead skin cells.
Use this treatment 2 or 3 times every week for effective results.
Method 2: Use a Lemon, Honey and Sugar Scrub
Lemon, a natural source of vitamin C and a natural astringent, helps lighten age spots, balance the skin tone, tighten skin pores, and brighten your complexion.
Sugar contains glycolic acid and acts as a natural exfoliant to even out your skin tone, clear out pores as well as remove dead and dull skin cells.
Honey is a natural humectant which helps lock water into the skin, thus keeping it moisturized and hydrated. Moreover, honey contains antibacterial and antioxidant properties that help clear up your skin and treat breakouts.
Things you’ll need:
- Lemon juice (brightens skin)– 1 tablespoon
- Sugar (natural exfoliant) – 1 teaspoon
- Honey (moisturizer) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Add lemon and honey to sugar
- Put 1 teaspoon of sugar in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
Step 2. Mix it well and apply the paste twice a week
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly to form a paste.
- Put a small amount of this scrub on your palm and gently rub it on your face in circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Wash it off using lukewarm water.
Use this scrub on your skin at least twice a week to remove dead skin cells.
Method 3: Use Oatmeal
Oatmeal is one of those incredible exfoliates that not only helps wipe away dead cells, dirt, and impurities but also keeps the skin moisturized and nourished. It also helps absorb oil from your skin, so you cleanse while you are exfoliating.
And for those with sensitive skin, oatmeal is a boon! It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe irritation and treat inflammation.
Things you’ll need:
- Water – 1 teaspoon
- Oatmeal (removes dead cells, dirt, and impurities) – 1 tablespoon
- Sea salt (sloughs off dead skin cells) – ½ teaspoon
Step 1. Mix oatmeal, sea salt, and water in a bowl
- Mix 1 tablespoon of oatmeal, ½ teaspoon of sea salt and 1 teaspoon of water in a bowl.
Step 2. Blend it well and apply for 10 min before scrubbing
- Blend well and apply this scrub on your skin.
- Gently rub in circular motions for 5 minutes, then allow it to dry for another 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off using warm water and pat dry your skin with a clean, soft towel.
Use this remedy every other day for softer, hydrated, and flawless skin.
Method 4: Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is alkaline, which may help balance the pH level of certain skin types. Baking soda is a gentle exfoliant.
The coarse granules are mildly abrasive and excellent for buffing away the dead cells from the skin and helps to clear away the dirt and debris.
Things you’ll need:
- Facial cleanser – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda (gentle exfoliant) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Use baking soda & facial cleanser to make a paste
- Add 1 tablespoon each of water and 1 teaspoon of facial cleanser to 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients and apply the paste
- Mix the ingredients to form a smooth paste.
- Put some of the paste on your palm and apply it on your face.
- Gently massage it on your skin in circular motions for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Let it dry for another 5 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
Repeat the treatment twice every week for flawless and acne-free skin.
Method 5: Use Sea Salt
The large, coarse granules and non-sticky texture make sea salt an amazing exfoliant for your skin.
Moreover, sea salt is full of trace minerals that help moisturize and rejuvenate your skin, while accelerating the growth of new skin cells.
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil (natural moisturizer) – 1 teaspoon
- Sea salt (mild exfoliant) – 1 tablespoon
- Essential oil – a few drops
Step 1. Put coconut oil, sea salt and essential oil in a bowl
- Put 1 tablespoon of sea salt in a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
Step 2. Blend it well and apply the scrub for 5 min
- Mix the ingredients to form the scrub.
- Apply this on your face and rub gently in circular motions for 5 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water to close the pores.
Use this scrub once or twice every week for incredible results.
Method 6: Use Green Tea
Green tea leaves (dry) have a slightly rough texture that helps to properly exfoliate of your skin and to clear away dead skin cells, dirt, and other impurities.
Things you’ll need:
- Olive oil (natural moisturizer) – 1 teaspoon
- Honey (natural humectant) – 1 teaspoon
- Brown sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Dry green tea leaves (removes dead skin cells) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Take honey, olive oil, green tea, and brown sugar
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey in 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of olive oil and green tea leaves to the brown sugar mixture.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients & use it to massage your skin
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly until the oil and honey are completely absorbed in the sugar.
- Apply this scrub on your face and gently scrub in circular motions.
- Finish by rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Use this scrub twice every week for wonderfully effective results.
Tips You Should Keep in Mind
- You need a fresh and clean face for the exfoliation treatment to properly penetrate the skin.
- Always remove your makeup and wash your face before proceeding with any of the above exfoliation methods.
- When using essential oils or unfamiliar ingredients or on areas of the body always do a patch test to make sure there is no reaction on the skin.
- Use a high-quality moisturizer to keep your skin nourished and hydrated.
- Do not over-exfoliate, as this may dry out your skin and lead to wrinkles and fine lines.
- Normal skin can be exfoliated two times a week or as necessary.
- Dry and mature skin should be exfoliated only twice a week with moisturizing products.
- An oil-based scrub is best for treating dry skin.
- Using salt scrubs on areas of dry skin can be counterproductive.
- Oily skin and combination skin should not be exfoliated more than three times a week.
- Although any scrub would do for oily skin types, clay-based scrubs are often the best to absorb excess oils from the skin.
- Many of these scrubs can be used on other parts of the body, in specific areas to treat certain problems or more generally for overall skin conditioning.
- Do not forget to moisturize your skin after exfoliating.
Summary of How to Exfoliate your Skin Like a Pro
Download this infographic.
I liked u r health & beauty tips … keep posting more info ..
Coffee/raw sugar/coconut oil
So I’m usually a soap and water kind of gal, but I decided to try this mask. The ingredients were found in my pantry (that’s a plus) and easy to mix. My preparation time was less than a minute. I used a glove to apply the mask to my face to reduce the mess factor. While applying the mixture I immediately felt the scrubbing and exfoliating. After washing it off my face felt smooth and softer to the touch. The coconut oil left my face moisturized and feeling youthful. Overall I loved the experience and will be adding this to my skin regimen and I can’t wait to try the others
ingredients diy mask: coffee, sugar, and coconut oil
as i washed my face i notice that it feels so smooth and looks more younger !! thanks to this natural regimen.i think this is better enough for my everyday use .and also coffee helps whiten our skin .so for the other ladies i also want you to try this:)
I picked the Baking Soda exfoliation.
The mask was quick and easy to prepare, with the bonus that I had all the ingredients at home. The cleanser gave the product a luxurious feel, while the baking soda was gentle on the skin which was left feeling very smooth and clean. This is a great treatment if you want a bit of ‘me time’. Close the bathroom door, light a scented candle and relax!
Thank you all for such a positive feedback.
Stay tuned for natural solutions to all your skin problems. Our team wishes you good health.