Angry, pus-filled boils typically start appearing on people’s skin when they are in their teens. It’s common to expect acne to cease to be a problem the moment you enter your 20s.
It does go away for some people. However, many find themselves unable to get rid of acne completely, even into their 20s. In certain cases, it remains a lifelong problem.
Acne is usually genetic and requires medical treatment when the problem is major, and you've frequent breakouts, less severe cases can be dealt with at home.
The reasons may vary from poor diet and nutrition to digestive issues, causing your skin to produce excessive amounts of sebum (a natural oily substance) that ends up blocking your pores.
These blocked pores often lead to blackheads and, bacteria being trapped within the pores. Here are the 5 homemade face masks for minor scarring and breakouts.
- Method 1: Turmeric Mask
- Method 2: Cinnamon & Honey Mask
- Method 3: Clay & Vinegar Mask
- Method 4: Aloe Vera & Tea Tree Oil Mask
- Method 5: Egg White Mask
- Tips You Should Keep in Mind
Method 1: Turmeric Mask
Turmeric has long been used in traditional Indian medicine for its strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
The rice flour in this mask acts as an excellent oil absorbent and contains many beneficial nutrients for your skin.
Yogurt further helps to cool and soothe inflamed skin, and it contains lactic acid that helps brighten skin and soften acne scars.
Things you’ll need:
- Turmeric powder (antibacterial and anti-inflammatory) – 1 teaspoon
- Rice flour (oil absorbent) – 2 teaspoons
- Plain yogurt (contains lactic acid) – 3 tablespoons
Step 1. Combine yogurt, turmeric and rice flour in a bowl
- Add 3 tablespoons of yogurt into mixing bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Add 2 teaspoons of rice flour as well.
Step 2. Mix well and apply it on your skin to treat acne
- Blend all ingredients together to form a smooth, yellow paste.
- Apply it on your face, especially the acne-prone areas, with a cosmetic brush.
- Let it air-dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wet the dried face pack and gently scrub it on your skin for 1 minute or so.
- Wash it off with cool water and pat dry your face with a soft towel.
You can apply this homemade face mask for acne twice a week to soften acne scars and brighten your skin.
Method 2: Cinnamon & Honey Mask
Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties that can be used against bacteria and will help heal your skin. Honey has been valued since ancient Egyptian times for its antibiotic and healing properties.
This amber liquid is not just useful for treating acne and healing the damage caused to your skin; it also acts as an effective moisturizer and is highly recommended for dry skin with oily patches and breakouts.
Things you’ll need:
- Cinnamon powder (antimicrobial) – 2 teaspoon
- Honey (acts as a humectant) – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Combine honey and ground cinnamon powder
- Put 2 tablespoons of honey in a bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder.
Step 2. Blend and apply the mask on your face
- Use a spatula to thoroughly mix the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Apply it on the acne-affected areas or your entire face.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water, as the mask can be a little sticky.
- Pat dry with a soft towel.
Use this homemade face mask 3 or 4 times a week to get soft, glowing, and blemish-free skin. This face mask is particularly beneficial for those who have dry skin with oily patches and breakouts.
Method 3: Clay & Vinegar Mask
Natural clay masks help tighten your skin, reduce the size of your pores, and absorb extra oil produced by your skin. They also contain several minerals that enrich your skin, improving its natural appearance and health.
The apple cider vinegar in this mask acts as a strong astringent to treat pustules.
Lavender essential oil has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that make it highly effective for treating acne.
Things you’ll need:
- Clay (absorbs oil and tightens skin) – 1 tablespoon
- Apple cider vinegar (acts as an astringent) – as needed to make a paste
- Lavender essential oil (reduces inflammation) – 1 or 2 drops
Step 1. Combine clay, apple cider vinegar, and lavender essential oil
- Put 1 tablespoon of clay in a bowl.
- Add apple cider vinegar as needed to form a thick paste.
- Carefully add 1 or 2 drops of lavender essential oil as well.
Step 2. Mix and apply the mask on the acne-affected skin
- Mix well to form a thick paste and apply the mask on your face.
- Let it sit until it dries, roughly for about 30 min. However, if your skin is sensitive, keep it on for only 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water and gently pat dry your skin.
Apply this clay mask once a week as needed.
Method 4: Aloe Vera & Tea Tree Oil Mask
Aloe vera gel has highly effective antimicrobial, skin-healing, and soothing properties that help reduce breakouts and soothe the skin.
Tea tree essential oil is considered to be one of the most powerful natural remedies to treat skin infections and reduce inflammation.
Using a blend of the two as a homemade face mask for breakouts will help effectively treat and prevent breakouts.
Things you’ll need:
- Tea tree essential oil (reduces inflammation) – 2 or 3 drops
- Aloe vera gel (antimicrobial and skin healing) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Combine aloe vera gel and tea tree essential oil in a bowl
- Put about 1 tablespoon of freshly extracted aloe vera gel in a small bowl.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of tea tree essential oil to the gel.
Step 2. Mix well and apply the blend on your face
- Mix well to get a smooth blend.
- Wash your face with a gentle face wash, then apply the aloe vera-tea tree blend on your skin with a cosmetic brush.
- Wash it off with cold water after 10 to 15 minutes. Pat dry your skin with a soft towel.
Use this face mask every other day to successfully treat your acne and minimize or fade acne scars.
Method 5: Egg White Mask
Egg whites have a mild astringent effect on the skin and will help lift dirt and debris from the surface of the skin.
Lemon juice contains citric acid that works to brighten skin and fade scars, making this mask an excellent way to get brighter and blemish-free skin.
The honey will moisturize your skin and further promote healing.
Things you’ll need:
- Egg white (astringent) – 1 egg
- Lemon juice (acts as an astringent and brightens skin) – 1 teaspoon
- Honey (acts as a humectant) – ½ teaspoon
Step 1. Whisk egg white and lemon juice together
- Carefully extract the whites from 1 egg into a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Whisk the ingredients together to form a smooth blend.
Step 2. Add honey, mix well and apply the mask on your acne
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey to the whisked egg whites and mix well with a spoon.
- Apply the mask on your face.
- Leave it on for approximately 15 minutes, then wash it off with water.
- Gently pat dry your skin with a soft towel or cloth.
You can apply this homemade face mask for breakouts twice a week for soft, smooth skin.
Tips You Should Keep in Mind
- Always do a patch test before applying any new face mask to test for skin allergies or irritation.
- Avoid the sensitive areas around your eyes and mouth while applying a face mask, as strong ingredients can irritate these areas with delicate skin.
Summary of Homemade Face Masks for Acne and Scars
Download this infographic.
The Egg white mask made my skin feel so soft and radiant. The ingredients are everyday items you will find lying around your home, and if not, they are very cheap at food markets. How I like to apply my product is with a synthetic foundation brush (that way they mask will not adhere to the bristles too much) for a smoother application. Once the mask is on, you can feel it working on your skin. I immediately feel my face tighten a bit. Nothing that is uncomfortable though, it just seems as if it is “sucking” the dirt out of my pores. I rinsed it off with cold water like stated above. I realized they might have said cold water, so your pores will close to keep all nutrients you received from the mask trapped into the skin. Removing the mask is easy and mess free. I enjoyed the process of making the mask because it was not a “hard task” by any means and my results render a much more smoother, radiant face!
Egg White Mask – Great face mask, easy to do and loved that all ingredients are natural and in most people’s kitchen cupboards. The recipe was simple to follow. Afterwards my skin felt smooth and soft. Would definitely recommend this recipe.
the cinnoman and honey face mask made my face smooth and it cleared my face big time thank you abd any time i need a face mask i will come too this website
Thank you all for such positive feedback. This really encourages us to come up with more
natural solutions to your everyday problems.
Can we wear cinnamon and honey face mask over night
We do not suggest leaving the cinnamon-honey face mask overnight. Also, please do a patch test before trying the cinnamon mask, as it is not suited for all skin types.