If you have naturally dark tone you can embrace your dark lips with pride, but those with lighter skin tones seldom delight in having dark lips.
Dark, dull and discolored lips can dim your appearance and curb your confidence. Dark lips often contrast starkly with the rest of your coloration, giving you a peculiar appearance.
The complexion of your lips can become unsightly due to dead skin build-up while sun damage and lack of proper care can often make the condition more pronounced.
If darkened lips are making a negative impact on your self-esteem, you can include some simple and natural ingredients in your daily beauty routine to brighten the dark and dull shade of your lips quickly.
For starters you might need to detox your lips for a while. Avoid using any lip makeup for at least a month, since it can play a key role in darkening, discoloring, even staining your lips over time.
In the meantime, use only natural moisturizers on your lips to keep them hydrated. Drink lots of fluids, especially water, and eat lots of fruits, especially those of the citrus variety.
In the meantime, here are two home remedies to lighten dark lips and get pink lips fast and naturally.
Method 1: Use a Honey-Sugar Scrub
You can use this yummy honey and sugar scrub to give your lips a little TLC. This will gently exfoliate the dead skin cells, which often give lips an unpleasant appearance.
Sugar scrubs are best known for their efficiency in exfoliation. This scrub is very gentle, making it well-suited to the tender skin of your lips.
While you can make this scrub with white sugar, brown sugar is much gentler on the skin. It is also rich in antioxidants that protect your skin from ultraviolet (UV) damage due to sun exposure.
The glycolic acid present in the sugar also helps to condition the skin and protects it from toxins.
Honey is a natural humectant, which means that it attracts moisture. Honey helps keep the exfoliated lips hydrated and healthy. The enzymes present in honey can also help lighten the skin tone of your lips.
Things you’ll need:
- Brown sugar (removes dead skin cells)– 1 tablespoon
- Honey (works as a moisturizer)– 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Take brown sugar and honey to make a scrub
- Put 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to it.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients & exfoliate your lips with it
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply the scrub over your lips with your finger.
- Lightly massage it on your lips for 1 minute. The massage not only helps with exfoliation, it improves blood circulation in the lips, making them healthier and lighter over time.
- Leave the scrub on your lips for a few minutes before washing it off with plain water.
Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times a week until you see noticeable results.
Method 2: Use Lemon and Almond Oil
Lemon is a wonderful natural skin-lightening agent and skin toner, and lemon juice is safe to use on most skin types.
Lemon is an effective way to heal the sun damage on your lips while lightening them naturally.
To prevent your lips from drying out, a good moisturizer like sweet almond oil is needed. Sweet almond oil hydrates your lips from within and helps even out their color as well.
Things you’ll need:
- Lemon, halved – 1
- Sweet almond oil – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Squeeze lemon juice into sweet almond oil
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil.
Step 2. Mix the solution and apply it on your lips
- Mix the two thoroughly with a utensil or your finger.
- Take a little of the almond oil and lemon juice mixture and lightly massage it on your lips.
- For best results, leave the mixture on your lips overnight.
Repeat this process every night for 3 to 4 weeks to notice a significant change.
- Resist the urge to lick the sweet honey-sugar scrub off your lips. The saliva will dry out the freshly exfoliated skin of your lips, leaving them chapped and dry making them dark and dull over time.
- Always remove lip makeup before going to sleep.
- Commercial lip balms often contain chemicals that can make your lips dull over time. Try using lip balms made from natural ingredients or use a homemade lip balm instead.
- You can also use the juice of fresh mint leaves mixed with lemon juice and honey as a lip brightener.
- Wear a good sunscreen to protect your lips from UV damage.
- Keep your body hydrated with lots of water and eats lots of fruits.
- If the darkness of your lips is a genetic trait you should lower your expectations of treatment results accordingly.
- Cut down on your smoking as well as caffeine and alcohol intake.
- Never use any expired lip products. Throw them out instead.
Summary of Lighten Dark Lips and Get Pink Lips Fast and Naturally
Download this infographic.