Sure, life can’t be perfect, but your hair can be. If you have been searching high and low for an elixir that can give you long and luscious locks in the shortest span of time, your search successfully ends on a bottle of castor oil.
Also known as Ricinus communis, castor oil has been around for ages as a go-to remedy for solving many health conundrums.
Rich in omega 6 and 9 fatty acids, ricinoleic acid, and vitamin E, castor oil is also packed with immense goodness for healthy skin and hair.
Ricinoleic acid, in particular, had antimicrobial properties that fight off scalp infections, and vitamin E prevents hair loss.
However, before anyone else could take notice, big players of the cosmetic industry saw the potential and commercialized castor oil.
They added synthetic compounds with fancy names and offered it to the world with hefty price tags in the name of hair growth tonic.
But, you do not have to fall prey to these commercial gimmicks. All you require is some cold-pressed castor oil that can be combined with other healthy oils, essential oils, or household ingredients for boosting hair growth. We have covered all for you!
Here is a consolidated list of castor oil-based home remedies that will not only boost hair growth but also treat scalp troubles that might be coming in the way of attaining those gorgeous tresses you always desired.
- Method 1: Use Plain Castor Oil
- #CASTOR OIL WITH OTHER OILS
- Method 1: Castor Oil and Coconut Oil
- Method 2: Castor Oil and Olive Oil
- Method 3: Castor Oil and Mustard Oil
- Method 4: Castor Oil and Vitamin E Oil
- #CASTOR OIL & ESSENTIAL OIL
- Method 1: Castor Oil and Rosemary Oil
- Method 2: Castor Oil and Lavender Oil
- Method 3: Castor Oil and Lemon Oil
- Method 4: Castor Oil and Tea Tree Oil
- #CASTOR OIL MASKS
- Method 1: Castor Oil and Onion Juice
- Method 2: Castor Oil and Aloe Vera
- Method 3: Castor Oil and Curry leaves
- Method 4: Castor Oil and Cayenne Pepper
- Method 5: Castor Oil and Garlic
- Method 6: Castor Oil and Ginger
- Additional Tips
Method 1: Use Plain Castor Oil
The easiest way to use castor oil to boost hair growth and prevent hair loss is to apply it directly. Massaging your hair with castor oil will increase the blood circulation in your scalp.
The oil will soak in and reach the follicles to boost hair growth and improve the texture and quality of new hair growth.
Single-Step Method: Massage your scalp with castor oil
- Take some oil and rub it between your palms.
- Scrunch the oil into your roots.
- Once the entire scalp is covered, spread the oil through the hair shaft.
- Massage your scalp using mild pressure for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Leave it on for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Shampoo your hair in the morning.
Repeat application 2 times weekly to boost your hair growth.
#CASTOR OIL WITH OTHER OILS
Method 1: Castor Oil and Coconut Oil
As castor oil is quite thick, blending it with other potent oils can make it easier to use and also increase its potency.
Furthermore, these oils will help mask the not-so-amazing smell of castor oil. If you are suffering from hair loss, then this method is a must-try.
Castor oil with coconut oil is a match made in heaven. The antimicrobial properties and nutritional value of both the oils form an excellent amalgam to treat and prevent scalp infections and curb hair loss.
Single-Step Treatment: Mix castor and coconut oil and apply
- Take 1 tablespoon each of castor oil and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Blend well and massage it into your hair.
- Leave it on for 2 hours. Cover your hair with a shower cap while the oils work.
- Shampoo your hair thereafter.
Repeat application 2 times weekly to curb hair fall and ensure healthier hair growth.
Method 2: Castor Oil and Olive Oil
Another popular blend is of castor oil with olive oil. Olive oil is loaded with antioxidants that help reverse hair damage to give you luxuriant locks.
The fatty acids present in both the oils nourish the hair follicles to accelerate hair growth.
Single-Step Method: Mix olive oil and castor oil and massage it on your scalp
- Take 1 tablespoon each of olive and castor oil. You can increase the quantities according to your hair length.
- Blend the two well.
- Microwave the oil for 10 seconds and massage your scalp with it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for 1 hour, and then wash it out with your regular shampoo.
Use the oil blend once or twice a week to boost hair growth.
Method 3: Castor Oil and Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is also popular for accelerating hair growth. The golden-colored oil owes its color to beta-carotene. The beta carotene gets converted into Vitamin A in our body that is essential for good hair and skin.
Both castor and mustard oil provide a healthy blend of fatty acids and proteins to help promote hair growth. They also help stimulate growth by increasing blood circulation.
Single-Step Method: Massage your hair with mustard and castor oil mix
- Combine castor oil and mustard oil in equal quantities.
- Apply and massage the oil blend for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Optionally, you can cover your hair with a moist and warm towel for the oils to absorb faster.
- Shampoo your hair using tepid water.
Use this blend once every week to improve your hair and scalp health for better hair growth.
Method 4: Castor Oil and Vitamin E Oil
If you have managed to ruin the natural texture of your mane with excessive styling and heat, it’s time to redeem your hair. The enriching blend of castor oil, olive oil, and Vitamin E oil will make even the most damaged hair recoup.
Vitamin E can permeate easily through the skin, and the antioxidants present in it can help repair hair at the cellular level. The castor oil, along with olive oil helps retain moisture in the hair shaft for faster recovery.
Single-Step Method: Mix vitamin E oil with castor oil and olive oil, then apply
- Blend castor oil and olive oil in equal proportions (1 tablespoon each).
- Puncture 2 vitamin E capsules and squeeze out the content over the oil blend.
- Mix the three oils thoroughly.
- Apply this nourishing oil blend to the roots of your hair.
- Use your fingertips to massage your scalp in a circular motion for 10 minutes.
- Let the oil work for an hour, before washing it off with a mild shampoo. You can also try making your own shampoo to aid in hair repair.
Repeat this oil therapy 2 or 3 times every week until your natural hair bounces back.
#CASTOR OIL & ESSENTIAL OIL
Method 1: Castor Oil and Rosemary Oil
Rosemary essential oil is the most revered one when it comes to hair troubles.
Considered sacred by Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians, this volatile oil is known to prevent baldness, premature graying of hair, and promote hair growth by increasing blood circulation in the scalp.
As essential oils are strong oils, it is important to dilute them first. You can mix rosemary essential oil with castor oil to boost hair growth and prevent hair loss.
Single-Step Method: Blend the oils and apply on your scalp
- Mix 1 tablespoon of castor oil.
- Add 4 to 6 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Massage your scalp with this elixir for 5 to 10 minutes. Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Repeat weekly for a few months to solve your hair woes and promote strong hair growth.
Method 2: Castor Oil and Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil is next in line for boosting hair growth. When mixed with castor oil, it works by increasing the blood circulation in your scalp to expedite hair growth.
Lavender oil is also antibacterial that helps reduce dandruff, a common deterrent to hair growth.
This method includes coconut oil for its antimicrobial and nourishing properties. It also dilutes castor oil, making it easier to apply and washes later.
Single-Step Method: Mix lavender essential oil with castor oil
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of castor oil and coconut oil.
- Add to it 3 to 5 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Apply the oil mix to your scalp as well as along the hair length.
- Massage and leave it on for an hour.
- Wash it off with your regular shampoo.
Use it weekly to promote healthy hair growth.
Method 3: Castor Oil and Lemon Oil
Lemon essential oil is especially effective if you have dandruff. Lemon oil, in combination with castor oil, works as a scalp cleanser, exfoliates the hair follicles and boosting hair growth.
The olive oil in this mix will further help nourish the hair and soothe the scalp.
Single-Step Method: Mix castor oil and olive oil with lemon essential oil
- Take 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and castor oil.
- Add 3 drops of lemon essential oil.
- Blend them well.
- Apply the oil to your hair and scalp and massage for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Repeat once every week until your dandruff is gone, and your hair and scalp are healthy.
Method 4: Castor Oil and Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful antibacterial and antifungal oil for your skin and hair.
Single-Step Method: Combine castor oil and tea tree oil
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of castor oil and olive oil.
- Add to it 1 teaspoon of tea tree essential oil.
- Blend it well with the oils and apply to your scalp.
- Let the oils work its charm for 30 minutes, and then shampoo your hair using warm water.
Use this oil to massage your scalp twice every week to get rid of scalp troubles to enhance hair growth.
#CASTOR OIL MASKS
Method 1: Castor Oil and Onion Juice
Castor oil can also be combined with other common household ingredients to boost hair growth and prevent hair loss. The best mask in this category is one that uses onion along with castor oil.
Onion contains sulfur that supports the keratin in our hair shaft and maintains hair elasticity. Sulfur is also antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, which helps bring down inflammation in scalp-related conditions such as folliculitis, eczema, or dandruff.
Things you’ll need:
- Castor oil (nourishes scalp) – 2 tablespoons
- Onion juice (gives a sulfur boost to hair) – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Take castor oil and onion juice in a bowl
- Take 2 tablespoons of castor oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add to it 2 tablespoons of onion juice.
Step 2. Mix well and apply on your hair and scalp
- Use a motorized blender to blend the two liquids.
- Apply the solution to your hair roots and massage your scalp to increase the blood flow.
- Leave it for at least 2 hours.
- Use a mild shampoo and lukewarm water to cleanse it off from your hair.
Repeat twice every week to improve hair texture and expedite hair growth.
Method 2: Castor Oil and Aloe Vera
Nutrients and the water content present in aloe vera help revitalize hair by hydrating them.
It also balances the pH level of the scalp to treat itchy scalp caused due to dryness. This mask also uses honey that acts as a humectant and an antibacterial agent.
Things you’ll need:
- Honey (retains moisture in hair) – 2 tablespoons
- Aloe vera gel (maintains pH of scalp) – 2 tablespoons
- Castor oil – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Combine honey, aloe vera gel, and castor oil
- Take 2 tablespoons each of castor oil, aloe vera gel, and honey in a mixing bowl.
Step 2. Mix well and apply to your hair
- Use a hand blender to whisk up the ingredients.
- Apply it to your scalp and also along the hair length.
- Massage for 5 minutes, and then let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Use a mild herbal shampoo to wash it out.
Repeat once or twice weekly to regain your hair health for better growth.
Method 3: Castor Oil and Curry leaves
Curry leaves hold immense potential when it comes to restoring your hair health. The leaves are rich in beta carotene that works as an antioxidant to prevent cell damage and reduce hair fall.
Combine it with castor oil to boost hair growth and helps reduce hair loss.
Things you’ll need:
- Castor oil (strengthens hair roots) – ½ cup
- Curry leaves (contains antioxidants) – ½ cup
Step 1. Boil curry leaves in castor oil
- Set up a double boiler and pour ½ cup of castor oil in it.
- Add to it ½ cup of curry leaves.
- Continue to cook on medium heat until the curry leaves turn black.
- Once done, remove from heat and allow it to cool down.
Step 2. Strain the oil to store and use
- Use a strainer to collect the infused oil in a bottle.
- Apply the curry leaf-infused oil to your scalp and hair.
- Massage it for a few minutes and leave it overnight.
- Wash your hair the next morning using a mild or herbal shampoo.
Use this mixture 2 to 3 times every week to notice positive results in a month.
Method 4: Castor Oil and Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper can also be used along with castor oil to boost hair growth. The active compound capsaicin present in cayenne pepper helps increase the blood flow to the scalp.
As a result, more nutrients are supplied to the hair follicles via blood, which makes them grow at a faster pace.
The castor oil, on the other hand, provides additional nourishment to support growth. It's like a scalp massage in a bottle, better the circulation the more nutrients reach the scalp and hair.
Things you’ll need:
- Cayenne pepper powder (boosts blood circulation) – 1 tablespoon
- Castor oil (provides nourishment to hair roots) – 1 cup
Single-Step Method: Mix cayenne pepper in castor oil and apply
- Add 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper powder to 1 cup of castor oil.
- Stir well and apply it to your scalp.
- Massage it for a few minutes, and then let it sit for an hour.
- Shampoo your hair as usual.
Repeat the application twice every week to grow strong and shiny hair faster.
Method 5: Castor Oil and Garlic
Garlic works as an antibacterial and antifungal agent to kill off pathogens colonizing the scalp. Garlic also contains sulfur that assists in hair growth.
Infusing castor oil with garlic is an easy way to combine two powerful ingredients in one and use it to get long and strong hair.
Things you’ll need:
- Castor oil – 3 tablespoons
- Garlic cloves (antibacterial) – 2 to 3
Single-Step Method: Heat up garlic in castor oil and apply on your hair
- Take 3 tablespoons of castor oil in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Chop 2 to 3 garlic cloves and add them to the oil.
- Heat the ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Take it out and allow the oil to cool down.
- When the oil is lukewarm and comfortable to touch, apply it to your scalp and hair.
- Massage your scalp and leave it on for 2 to 3 hours.
- Wash it out with a mild shampoo.
Repeat this application 2 times every week for optimum results.
Method 6: Castor Oil and Ginger
Ginger contains an antioxidant gingerol that helps prevent free radical damage in hair cells. Ginger is also anti-inflammatory and helps combat scalp-related problems.
Combining it with castor oil also helps increase blood circulation in the scalp for healthy hair growth.
Things you’ll need:
- Ginger root (anti-inflammatory)
- Castor oil (boosts blood circulation) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Extract the ginger juice
- Take 1-inch long piece of ginger root.
- Scrape off the skin and grate it into fine shreds.
- Bundle-up the grated ginger in a muslin cloth and twist and squeeze it over a bowl to extract the juice.
- Collect around 1 teaspoon of ginger juice.
Step 2. Mix ginger juice in castor oil and use the mixture as a hair mask
- Add the ginger juice to castor oil.
- Mix the two thoroughly.
- Apply the oil to your entire scalp and the hair shafts.
- Massage your scalp in circular motions to spread it out evenly.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash your hair with an herbal shampoo.
Use this hair mask once or twice a week to boost hair growth, prevent hair loss, and keep your scalp healthy.
- Avoid using chemical-based shampoos when using castor oil to boost hair growth.
- Avoid styling and shampooing your hair too often as these would strip your hair of its natural oils, turning it dull and limp.
- Support the topical remedies with a healthy diet for a better quality of hair.
- You can also use a mixture of castor oil and glycerin as a hair-growth remedy when mixed with rosemary essential oil.
- For maximum benefits, it is better to apply castor oil to slightly damp hair. This ensures better absorption. You can also cover your hair with a warm and moist towel after oiling your hair.
- If stress is causing hair fall, try to practice meditation or yoga or any other activity that keeps you busy and relieves stress. You can also diffuse lavender essential oil.
- Let your hair air-dry after shampooing. Using too much heat will reduce the effect of castor oil.