You probably already have a bottle of Listerine in your bathroom cabinet to help you keep up with your oral health routine. In fact, Listerine is the brand responsible for making mouthwashes a common household commodity.
But have you ever used Listerine for anything other than your regular bacteria-zapping gargles? Well, believe it or not, you can use Listerine to fix skin, hair and health issues.
Formulated in the late 1800s Listerine was initially sold to surgeons as a surgical disinfectant. Over time, it has been sold as a floor cleaner, a dandruff remedy, a hair tonic, a deodorant and even a remedy for diseases like dysentery and gonorrhea.
Its primary and popular use as a mouthwash took hold as a result of some ingenious marketing in the 1920s, which reintroduced bad breath as a medical problem called chronic halitosis.
This brief history of Listerine gives you an idea of how it can be used for different health and beauty remedies. It has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties that make it quite versatile in its applications.
When using Listerine for health and beauty hacks, always use the original, amber-colored Listerine. To help you get started, here are seven ways you can use Listerine to fix skin, hair and health issues.
- Method 1: Treat Pimples
- Method 2: Remove Armpit Odor
- Method 3: Clear Up Fungal Infections with a Foot Soak
- Method 4: Cure Itching in Pets
- Method 5: Treat Head Lice
- Method 6: Get Rid of Dandruff
- Method 7: Heal a Sore Throat
Method 1: Treat Pimples
If you’re prone to acne or deal with frequent pimple outbreaks, Listerine is an effective and inexpensive solution.
Its antibacterial and antiseptic properties that make it a pro at keeping cavities at bay also come in handy for eliminating pimple-causing bacteria. Listerine also helps dry out pimples, thus speeding up the healing process.
Single-Step Treatment: Use Listerine to dry out a pimple overnight
- Before going to bed, dip a cotton swab in Listerine and dab it on the pimple, saturating it completely.
A single application should eliminate the pimple overnight. If your pimples are severe, apply Listerine twice daily for 2 or 3 days for complete recovery.
Method 2: Remove Armpit Odor
Smelly armpits can give you a bad rep at your workplace and even alienate you from your peers. If your regular deodorant isn’t cutting it, let Listerine come to your rescue and keep your armpits, groin, feet and other smelly areas of the body stink-free.
Note: Avoid applying Listerine on your armpits after shaving or waxing, as it may cause irritation.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply Listerine on your armpits twice a day
- Wipe your armpits with cotton balls soaked in Listerine.
- Let the Listerine dry and you’re good to go.
Repeat twice a day for effective and lasting relief from armpit odor.
Method 3: Clear Up Fungal Infections with a Foot Soak
Listerine is not just good for eliminating bad foot odor. It also can be used to treat or prevent other foot problems.
This foot soak solution uses Listerine combined with white vinegar for even better results.
Things you’ll need:
- Listerine – ½ cup
- White vinegar – ½ cup
- Water – 1cup
Step 1. Combine the ingredients
- Pour ½ cup each of Listerine and white vinegar into a pitcher.
- Pour in 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Your Listerine foot soak formula is ready.
Step 2. Soak your feet daily to treat a toenail fungus or athlete’s foot
- Pour the Listerine foot soak formula into a tub or basin filled with water.
- Soak your feet in the tub for 15 to 20 minutes. Pat dry with a soft towel afterward.
Repeat daily until the infection clears up completely. If the infection is mild, it should be gone within 1 week.
Method 4: Cure Itching in Pets
Persistent itching in pets can make them lose their smiles and tail wags. If the problem isn’t treated timely, they can end up scratching the itchy patch raw.
Listerine offers a popular topical remedy that has been hailed by many pet owners.
A simple combination of equal parts of Listerine, baby oil and water can help eliminate the cause of the itchiness and help the skin heal. Listerine can also help keep ticks and fleas at bay.
Note: Don’t use this remedy if your pet has scratched its skin raw.
Things you’ll need:
- Listerine – 2 tablespoons
- Baby oil – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Combine the ingredients
- Pour 2 tablespoons each of Listerine, baby oil and water into a pitcher.
Step 2. Mix well and spray it on the itchy area 3 times daily
- Mix the ingredients well with a stick mixer.
- Pour the concoction into a spray bottle.
- Spray the Listerine solution on the itchy area on your dog.
Repeat 3 times daily for a few days or until the problem clears up.
Method 5: Treat Head Lice
Dealing with a lice infestation is truly icky, but the solution can be as easy as the Listerine in your bathroom cabinet. Listerine stuns the lice, which can then be combed out of the hair. Its alcohol content also dissolves the adhesive with which the lice attach their nits (eggs) to the hair shafts.
Plus, the antibacterial and antifungal properties of Listerine prevent secondary infections in the areas of the scalp irritated by incessant scratching.
People with a sensitive scalp can dilute the Listerine prior to use.
Single-Step Treatment: Spray diluted Listerine on the scalp
- Fill ⅓ of a small spray bottle with water and the rest with Listerine.
- Spray the diluted Listerine on your head, saturating the scalp and hair shafts.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Comb out the stunned lice with a good quality nit comb.
- Shampoo as usual to remove the Listerine.
Repeat the remedy twice a week for 6 to 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the lice.
Method 6: Get Rid of Dandruff
Listerine is also an effective remedy for dandruff. If you’re shedding flakes all over your shoulders, you can get rid of the problem with this Listerine and lemon juice remedy.
Besides clearing up a flaky scalp, this remedy will also treat the fungal infection that causes dandruff.
Things you’ll need:
- Listerine – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 tablespoon
Single-Step Method: Combine Listerine, lemon & water to treat dandruff
- Pour 1 tablespoon each of Listerine, lemon juice and water into a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Apply the solution on the scalp, saturating it entirely.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then shampoo as usual.
Repeat twice a week for 2 weeks to get rid of dandruff completely.
Method 7: Heal a Sore Throat
Gargling with Listerine kills the bacteria responsible for the sore throat, thus supplementing the body’s ability to fight the infection and heal.
Single-Step Treatment: Gargle with Listerine 3 times daily
- Simply take the required amount of Listerine in your mouth and gargle for about 1 minute.
- Use the remedy 3 times a day for 3 or 4 days to notice significant relief from a sore throat.
- Always test your skin sensitivity to Listerine before you use Listerine to fix skin, hair and health issues. If even the diluted Listerine doesn’t work for you, consider other alternatives.
- When using Listerine to get rid of dandruff, don’t let the solution get into your eyes, as it may cause severe irritation.
Summary of How to Use Listerine to Fix Skin, Hair and Health Issues
Download this infographic.