When put plainly, detoxification is simply the process of eliminating all the negative effects and toxins from the body.
People often associate detoxing with drinking, smoking and substance addictions. However, a healthy body also needs detoxification from time to time.
The body absorbs pollutants that are in the air like emissions from vehicles or industrial plants, herbicides and pesticides used by non-organic produce farms, and chemicals used in cosmetics and even food. These and other toxic elements lead to restricted functioning of the body, and hence detoxification becomes necessary.
Detoxification is probably one of the best holistic ways to free your mind and body from unexplained headaches and body pains. Internal detoxification targets the kidneys and the colon to flush out chemicals and toxins from the body.
Moreover, it helps in cleansing and purifying your liver, kidneys and blood. When your organs are purified, it reduces the toxic load on your body thereby boosting the immune system. Stimulation of the immune system causes a boost of the hormonal system as well, thus reducing the body’s dependency on substances like caffeine, sugar, alcohol and nicotine, to name a few.
Here are top 3 ways to detoxify your body naturally.
- Method 1: Use Detox Foods
- # Green Smoothie
- Method 2: Use Detox Drinks
- # Apple-Cinnamon Detox Drink
- Method 3: Use a Detox Bath
- # A Salt Detox Bath
- # A Clay Detox Bath
- # An Oxygen Detox Bath
Method 1: Use Detox Foods
Here are some amazing foods that help the body accomplish its process of detoxification:
Beets: Beets are loaded with betaine, pectin, magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, vitamins (A, B and C), polyphenols and other nutrients that are powerful substances for cleansing the body. The compounds increase the formation of glutathione and superoxide dismutase (enzymes that helps eliminate free radicals) in the liver, thus leading to detoxification of your system. Moreover, beets are an important vegetable that helps restore the normal pH balance in the blood.
Ginger: Ginger is one of those incredible detoxifying herbs that not only cleans your system but also rejuvenates it throughout. Ginger contains gingerols and shogaols, compounds that improve the functioning of the intestines by speeding up the movement of foods through them, thus efficiently getting rid of toxins and waste from the essential organs.
Garlic: An amazing detoxifying food, garlic is loaded with sulfur, a compound that attracts heavy metals by unfastening them from the walls of softer tissues in the intestines and causing them to cling on to the sulfur instead. This helps fight harmful bacteria and yeast in the intestines. Moreover, garlic aids the production of glutathione, a compound that filters toxins from your digestive system.
Cabbage: Cabbage contains hefty amounts of glucosinolates and sulfur-containing compounds that make it a powerful detoxifying food. It effectively breaks down harmful chemicals and flushes them out of your system. Plus, the high amounts of vitamin C and fiber in the veggie assists the liver in regulating proper bowel functions.
Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds contain both soluble and insoluble fiber that helps cleanse and detoxify your body. They help in natural removal of toxins and waste from the body by regulating proper intestinal and bowel functions. Furthermore, flaxseeds are rich in essential fatty acids, particularly omega-3s that help maintain a healthy immune system.
Apples: Apples are rich in both soluble and insoluble fibers. While the soluble fiber pectin helps prevent plaque from forming in blood vessels, the insoluble fiber cellulose assists the digestive system in quickly moving food through your intestinal tract.
Cucumbers: Cucumbers are another amazing food that helps in the elimination of toxins from the body. It filters the toxins in the blood and the debris generated after decomposing them, thus helping the kidneys flush out toxins through your urine.
Other than the regular vegetables and fruits, try this power-packed detoxifying smoothie to cleanse your system.
# Green Smoothie
Green smoothies are the most popular way of detoxifying the body. It helps the body eliminate harmful toxins, while offering a blend of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
Things you’ll need:
- Spinach – 2 cups
- Cucumber, peeled and chopped – 1 medium
- Green apple, chopped – 1
- Ginger – 3 to 5 pieces
- Lemon – 1
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Water – about 1 cup
Step 1. Throw the fruits and veggies in a blender
- Put 2 cups of spinach (thoroughly washed and blanched) in a blender.
- Add the chopped chunks of 1 medium-sized cucumber and 1 green apple to the spinach.
Step 2. Blend in the sweet and sour
- Sweeten your smoothie with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Throw in 3 to 5 chopped chunks of ginger and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the mix.
Step 3. Pour water into the blender
- Pour about 1 cup of water into the blender.
This allows easy mixing and blending of the coarse veggies, fruits and herbs.
Step 4. Blend until smooth and enjoy
- Blend all the ingredients thoroughly until the mixture has a smooth consistency.
- Pour your green smoothie into a Mason jar, sip and enjoy.
Begin with drinking 1 cup of smoothie every day and gradually increasing the amount to 2 to 3 cups a day for at least 3 weeks.
Method 2: Use Detox Drinks
While there are many detoxifying drinks available in the market, it is best to go natural. There are a number of fruits, vegetables and herbs that can be added to water to detoxify your body.
We have listed below the benefits of some of the ingredients that can be consumed individually or combined together to make your own detox drink.
Water: Water plays a vital role in eliminating waste and toxins from your system. The more water you take in, the more toxins are flushed out of your body through urine.
Lemon: Lemon helps regulate the digestive track, stimulate the production of bile and make it thinner for a free flow.
Green tea: Green tea is loaded with antioxidants like catechins that assist the liver in eliminating free radicals from the body. It also prevents dehydration and speeds up your metabolic rate.
Watermelon: Watermelon contains citrulline, an organic compound and amino acid that helps the liver and the kidneys filter and flush out ammonia from the body. In addition, it is high in water content.
Mint leaves: Mint aids digestion and improves the flow of bile from the liver to the bladder and the intestines, thus breaking down dietary fats and flushing them out.
Besides combining the above ingredients, you can also try our detox recipe, which features apple and cinnamon.
# Apple-Cinnamon Detox Drink
Things you’ll need:
- Apple (red or green), sliced – 1
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 to 3
Step 1. Pour water in a jar and add apple slices
- Fill a jar 3/4th of the way full with water.
- Throw in the slices of 1 apple (red or green, any will do) into the water.
Step 2. Throw in cinnamon sticks and allow the water to infuse
- Add 2 to 3 sticks of cinnamon.
- Set this aside for 1 to 2 hours. This allows the goodness and the richness of the apples and the spice to infuse in the water. You can also put it in the refrigerator to allow it to chill.
Enjoy this tasty, healthy and natural detox drink to refresh yourself. You can drink this 2 to 3 times every day. It’s particularly beneficial after a workout.
Method 3: Use a Detox Bath
A detox bath helps reduce your toxic load, while also giving you time to relax for mental and emotional peace of mind.
Soaking in water infused with natural salts has a therapeutic effect on your body, both inside and outside. Different salts incorporated in the baths have their own individual benefits in neuromuscular conditions, relieving pain and inflammation, flushing out toxins and much more.
The essential ingredients of a detoxifying bath are:
- Salt mixture: This adds minerals to your system that help pull out unwanted toxins.
- Peppermint essential oil: It helps stimulate and rejuvenate your system, improving the blood circulation and giving you a little extra energy.
# A Salt Detox Bath
This bath helps soothe skin irritation, boost the level of magnesium in your body and promote overall detoxification of your system.
Things you’ll need:
- Sea salt or Himalayan salt – 1/4 cup
- Epsom salt – 1/4 cup
- Baking soda – 1/4 cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 1/3 cup
- Essential oil – 10 to 12 drops
Step 1. Mix the salts together
- Start with 1/4 cup of Epsom salt in a bowl.
- Mix in an equal amount of sea salt or Himalayan salt.
Step 2. Mix in the other ingredients
- Add 1/4 cup of baking soda and 10 to 12 drops of your favorite essential oil to the salt mixture.
- Pour 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar into the bowl as well.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
Step 3. Prepare your detox bath
- Fill a bathtub with warm water and pour the mixture into the bath.
- Soak yourself in the bath for 30 to 45 minutes and pat dry.
# A Clay Detox Bath
The clay detox bath helps flush out toxins as the clay binds to heavy metals. Epsom salt further helps in pulling out toxins, while replenishing the level of magnesium in the body.
Things you’ll need:
- Bentonite clay – 1/2 cup
- Epsom salt – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup to add to the salt plus enough to use with the clay
- Essential oil – 10 to 12 drops (optional)
Step 1. Dissolve the Epsom salt in water
- Put 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in a bowl.
- Pour in an equal amount of water.
- Stir until the salt is completely dissolved in the water.
Step 2. Infuse your favorite essential oil
- Blend in 10 to 12 drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Mix thoroughly, then set the mixture aside.
Step 3. Blend bentonite clay in water to make a paste
- In another bowl, mix 1/2 cup of clay and just enough water to make a paste.
- Mix until there are no more clumps in the mixture.
Step 4. Combine the two mixtures
- Pour the salt solution (prepared in Steps 1 and 2) into the clay mixture.
- Mix thoroughly so that no lumps form and you have a smooth consistency.
Step 5. Apply the clay mask and soak in the tub
- Stand in a tub of water and rub the salty clay mix all over your body.
- Let the skin mask dry for 5 to 10 minutes before sitting down.
- Then, soak yourself in the bath for another 20 minutes or for as long as you like.
# An Oxygen Detox Bath
Oxygen detox bath eliminates toxins and cultivates an environment that is difficult for free radicals and toxins to flourish.
It is specifically helpful in times of illness, as ginger helps clear away congestion in the body. It also helps alleviate body aches, allergies and any kind of irritation in the skin.
Things you’ll need:
- Ginger powder – 2 tablespoons
- 35% hydrogen peroxide – 2 cups
Step 1. Dissolve the ginger powder in hydrogen peroxide
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of ginger powder in 2 cups of 35% hydrogen peroxide.
Step 2. Add to bathwater and soak in it
Pour this solution into your bathwater and soak in the tub for 30 to 40 minutes.
- For a detox bath, the warmer the water, the better and more powerful the detox will be.
- If your water contains chlorine or fluorine, add a few tablespoons of bentonite clay to the water. The clay will absorb the elements so that they are not absorbed into the skin.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients in the above remedies, depending upon your requirements.
- Drink as many fluids (water, fruit and vegetable juices, herbal teas) as you can. This helps eliminate toxins from the system.
- Oil pulling is also an effective method to detox your body as it draws toxins and bacteria out of your body.
- Exercise regularly to help manage stress and improve your energy level. You can try alternative therapies like homeopathy, hydrotherapy and acupuncture, or taking a hot shower for 5 minutes and following up with 30 seconds of cold water.
- Cut down on sugars in your diet for increased energy and proper metabolism. If you feel a craving for sweets, choose a healthy and naturally sweet option like fruits.
- Dry brushing is an effective remedy for improving blood circulation in your body. It also helps encourage new cell renewal by shedding off dead skin cells.
Summary of How to Detox Your Body Naturally
Download this infographic.