Herpes is an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus. There are two types of the virus – herpes simplex-1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex-2 (HSV-2). (1)
While the former is responsible for oral herpes causing cold sores and fever blisters, the latter causes genital herpes outbreaks. With some home remedies, you can get rid of herpes naturally.
The virus is most commonly spread from one person to another through close contact. The HSV-1 is usually transmitted through contact with infected saliva from instances like kissing, sharing toothbrushes or other personal items, or eating from the same utensil. HSV-1 is associated with an infection of the mouth, lips, and face.
HSV-2 is associated with genital sores and ulcers and is spread during sexual contact. Oral-genital contact may also lead to cross-infection causing genital herpes in the mouth and infection in the genital area.
- Symptoms of Herpes
- Natural Treatment for Herpes
- Method 1: Use Apple Cider Vinegar
- Method 2: Use Hydrogen Peroxide
- Method 3: Use L-Lysine
- Method 4: Use Garlic
- Method 5: Use Oregano Oil
- Method 6: Use Coconut Oil
- Single-Step Treatment: Apply coconut oil on the affected area
- Tips to manage herpes at home
Symptoms of Herpes
The symptoms of herpes are characterized by mouth sores, fever blisters, enlarged lymph nodes or pain during urination (genital herpes). The condition usually appears as single or multiple blisters on areas like the mouth, genitals or rectum. (3)
Natural Treatment for Herpes
After an outbreak, the virus retreats to the nervous system, and thus there is no permanent cure for the problem. However, there are certain treatments that can help relieve the symptoms of the condition, while decreasing the total number of outbreaks.
Method 1: Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, a natural disinfectant, contains amazing astringent, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties that help to reduce herpes breakouts, while also reducing the pain and discomfort.
A study published in the Immune Network also suggests that vinegar processed Daphne genkwa was effective in fighting with HSV-1 infection. (2)
Single-Step Treatment: Dab diluted apple cider vinegar on the affected skin
- Pour 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Saturate one end of a cotton swab in apple cider vinegar.
- Dab the saturated cotton swab on the skin affected by herpes.
- Allow it to dry for 30 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
Repeat 3 or 4 times each day for 2-3 days to get effective results.
Alternatively, if you feel a burning sensation on the skin, you can dilute some apple cider vinegar in water before applying it.
Method 2: Use Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide, a natural disinfectant, kills the virus responsible for the herpes breakout. (4)
Hydrogen peroxide contains an extra oxygen molecule that chemically reacts with the virus to speed up the healing process.
# Apply to the Affected Area
Single-Step Treatment: Dab hydrogen peroxide on the affected area
- Pour 1 tablespoon of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide in a bowl.
- Saturate one end of a cotton swab in the solution.
- Dab the cotton swab on the affected skin.
- Leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
Repeat 4 times each day for 4 days to observe the sores disappear almost completely.
# Use as a Mouthwash
Single-Step Treatment: Use diluted hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash
- Dilute 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide in water in a 1:3 ratio.
- Use the solution as a mouthwash.
- Rinse your mouth with the solution 3 or 4 times each day for 2-3 days.
Method 3: Use L-Lysine
Reducing high sugar intake and carbohydrates can be beneficial along with eating foods high in bioavailable lysine. Other supplements that can help are zinc, vitamin C, and vitamin E.
L-lysine helps reduce the frequency and length of a herpes outbreak.
Essentially an amino acid, L-lysine restricts the activation and replication of the herpes virus. It lowers the levels of the amino acid L-arginine that is essential for the functioning of the herpes virus, thus making it difficult for the virus to activate and produce symptoms. Moreover, L-lysine can reduce the severity and shorten the length of a herpes outbreak. (5)
Take L-lysine supplements or include more L-lysine in your diet with foods like potatoes, mangoes, soybeans, apricots, fish, chicken, eggs, dairy products, and nuts to reduce the symptoms of infection.
Legumes are also high in lysine. Poaching or boiling high protein foods can help retain adequate amounts of lysine. Tuna and turkey are great lysine containing foods too.
A typical daily dose of 500 mg of L-lysine is recommended to control and restrict herpes. In cases of active herpes, up to 6 grams of lysine daily between meals is safe to promote quick healing.
Short-term administration of 1-3 g lysine daily has been found to reduce the duration of attacks, with higher doses being more effective than lower doses.
Method 4: Use Garlic
Garlic contains allicin and ajoene, compounds that help kill a host of bacteria, viruses, and parasites that cause infections. (6)
Moreover, garlic contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties to ease the pain and irritation due to a herpes outbreak.
# Consume Garlic Paste
Things you’ll need:
- Garlic, minced (antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties) – 1 teaspoon
- Honey (soothing) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Put garlic and honey in a bowl
- Place 1 teaspoon of minced garlic in a bowl.
- Add an equal portion of honey.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients together and consume
- Combine the ingredients well.
- Put the mixture in your mouth and hold it for as long as possible.
- Slowly, swallow the mixture.
Repeat this once each day for a week to observe amazing results.
# Apply Garlic Oil
Things you’ll need:
- Garlic, crushed (antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties) – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil (promotes healing) – 3 tablespoons
Step 1. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet
- Pour 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet.
- Turn on the heat.
Step 2. Add 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic to the oil
- Add 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic to the oil.
Step 3. Cook until golden brown
- Cook the crushed garlic in the oil until the color changes to a golden brown.
Step 4. Strain the oil and apply it to the affected area
- Strain the hot oil into a bottle or jar.
- Apply this garlic oil on the affected area and allow it to dry completely.
Repeat the process 3 times each day for 15 days to observe significant results.
Method 5: Use Oregano Oil
Oregano oil contains antiviral attributes that help improve the condition of the skin affected by herpes. (7)
Things you’ll need:
- Olive oil (promotes healing)– 1 tablespoon
- Oregano oil (antiviral properties)– 3 or 4 drops
Single-Step Treatment: Apply diluted oregano oil on the affected skin
- Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl.
- Add 3 or 4 drops of oregano oil and mix.
- Soak a cotton swab in the oil blend.
- Apply on the affected area of skin.
Use the treatment each night before going to bed for a week to observe amazing results.
Alternatively, you can consume oregano oil orally. A daily dose of 100 to 150 mg for 15 days is appropriate for getting rid of the condition.
Method 6: Use Coconut Oil
An excellent antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, coconut oil works as an amazing remedy to kill the virus that leads to herpes outbreaks. (8)
Coconut oil contains lauric acid that transforms into monolaurin, a compound that imparts antimicrobial properties to deactivate the virus to perform its activities.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply coconut oil on the affected area
- Dip one end of a cotton swab in coconut oil.
- Apply it on the affected area of the skin.
- Allow the oil to get completely absorbed into the skin.
Repeat this remedy every night before going to bed for a week to get good results.
Alternatively, you can consume coconut milk daily to help alleviate the problem.
Tips to manage herpes at home
- Avoid eating sugary and processed foods with high arginine content that causes irritation and slows down the healing process.
- Incorporate manuka honey in your diet. It is loaded with antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and practice proper hygiene habits after touching the affected area.
- Wear cotton garments to allow air circulation around the skin. Avoid silk, synthetic or nylon garments.
- Baking soda is an effective alternative to get rid of itching, pain, and discomfort. Dip a damp cotton ball in baking soda and apply it on the affected area.
- Saleh D. Herpes Simplex Type 1. StatPearls [Internet]. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482197/. Published March 8, 2019.
- Uyangaa E, Choi JY, Ryu HW, Oh S-R, Eo SK. Anti-herpes Activity of Vinegar-processed Daphne genkwa Flos Via Enhancement of Natural Killer Cell Activity. Immune network. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4411514/. Published April 2015.
- Herpes simplex. Herpes simplex | American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/contagious-skin-diseases/herpes-simplex#symptoms.
- Newcomb WW, Brown JC. Internal catalase protects the herpes simplex virus from inactivation by hydrogen peroxide. Journal of virology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22915822. Published November 2012.
- Singh BB, Udani J, Vinjamury SP, et al. Safety and effectiveness of an L-lysine, zinc, and herbal-based product on the treatment of facial and circumoral herpes. Alternative medicine review: a journal of clinical therapeutic. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15989381. Published June 2005.
- Mikaili P, Maadirad S, Moloudizargari M, Aghajanshakeri S, Sarahroodi S. Therapeutic uses and pharmacological properties of garlic, shallot, and their biologically active compounds. Iranian journal of basic medical sciences. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3874089/. Published October 2013.
- Gilling DH, Kitajima M, Torrey JR, Bright KR. Mechanisms of antiviral action of plant antimicrobials against murine norovirus. Applied and environmental microbiology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4135763/. Published August 2014.
- Gupta A. Article Information. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. http://ijpsr.com/bft-article/coconut-oil-the-healthiest-oil-on-earth/?view=fulltext. Published 2017.
Summary of How to Get Rid of Herpes Naturally
Download this infographic.