Steps to Make mouth-watering Coca-Cola Chicken at Home
Things you’ll need:
For the fried chicken:
- Chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces– 20 oz
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Milk – 1/3 cup
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Egg – 1
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper – ¼ teaspoon
For the sauce:
- Coca-Cola – 3 cups
- Soy sauce – 3 tablespoons
- Ground ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic – 5 minced cloves
- Vinegar – 4 teaspoons
- Oil for frying – 1 ½ cups
- Sesame seeds, optional – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Mix the ingredients for the sauce
- Pour the 3 cups of Coca-Cola in a wok or a pan.
- Add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Add 4 teaspoons of vinegar.
- Add 1 teaspoon of finely-ground ginger.
- Add 5 minced garlic cloves.
- Stir everything together.
Step 2. Let the sauce boil and reduce
- Put the sauce to boil on medium heat for approximately 35 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- It is ready when you can see the trace of the spoon at the bottom of the pan.
Step 3. Prepare the batter for the chicken
- Take 1 egg in a large bowl and beat it slightly.
- Add 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Add 1/3 cup of water.
- Add 1/3 cup of milk.
- Whisk the ingredients with a wire whisk to mix them thoroughly.
- Add the chicken.
- Add ½ a teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Mix well.
Step 4. Fry the chicken
- Put 1 ½ cups of oil in a pan.
- Let it heat up.
- Fry the chicken in batches.
- Turn the pieces over to get them evenly browned.
- Place the fried chicken in a bowl lined with a paper towel.
Step 5. Mix the chicken with the sauce
- Put the fried chicken over the sauce in the pan.
- Mix gently; take care not to break the crispy coating on the chicken.
- Optionally, you can add about 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds to the chicken as well. If you want, you can also add some chopped spring onions to add a fresh touch.
Share and enjoy your delicious Coca-Cola chicken with friends and family.
- This is better served immediately. If you want to serve it later, for a party or a family gathering, don’t mix the chicken with the sauce. Heat the sauce just before serving, and add the chicken in.
- You can add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce to the Coca-Cola sauce to turn up the heat.
- For enhanced flavor, marinate the chicken in some salt, black pepper and freshly-squeezed lemon juice for a few hours or overnight.
- You can also use this recipe to make Coca-Cola chicken ribs or wings by using the desired chicken pieces instead of chopped chicken breast and adjusting the cooking time accordingly.
- In case your sauce becomes too runny, just sprinkle in some cornstarch as it acts as a thickening agent. Just take care not to add it near the end as it will leave you with the taste of raw cornstarch in your mouth.
- You can also toast the sesame seeds for extra flavor and crispiness before adding it into the chicken.
- If you are interested in more DIY sauce recipes, then you can also learn how to make your own barbecue sauce or mustard sauce at home.