Soft pink lips are a symbol of beauty, while flaky, cracked and dark lips can be a clear sign of improper care or poor health. Many things can take a toll on the beauty of your lips. Using chemical-rich products, biting your lips with your teeth, an unhealthy lifestyle and over exposure to harmful sun-rays are just few of them.
Your delicate lips need proper care and attention to maintain softness and enhance your natural lip color. Many people spend money on lip-care products, but you can easily make a homemade lip scrub with readily available ingredients.
Strawberries, honey, sugar, glycerin and olive oil are all that you need to make a superior-quality lip scrub. It will be cost effective and free of harmful chemicals.
- Steps to Make a Lip Scrub with Strawberries
- Additional Tips:
Steps to Make a Lip Scrub with Strawberries
Things you’ll need:
- Strawberries – 2 to 3 ripe strawberries
- Olive oil–¼ teaspoon
- Honey–1 teaspoon
- Glycerin–1 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar – 1½ teaspoons
Step 1. Puree the strawberries
Wash and cut the tops off of 2 or 3 strawberries. Put them in a small bowl and use a fork to mash the berries to make a puree. Mash them thoroughly to eliminate any large chunks of fruit.
Strawberries contain several minerals and vitamins that keep your skin and lips healthy. In particular, the high vitamin C content helps improve lip texture, protects them from harmful ultraviolet (UV) sun-rays and make them appear healthier.
Step 2. Add the glycerin and honey
Once the puree is ready, add 1 teaspoon each of glycerin and honey to it.
Honey and glycerin work as natural moisturizers and help prevent chapped lips. They also help soften lips to restore your natural lip color.
Step 3. Mix thoroughly
Mix the ingredients thoroughly. As both honey and glycerin are thick in texture, you will have to work a little to mix them in well.
Step 4. Mix in the olive oil
- Add ½ teaspoon of olive oil to the mixture and stir it.
Olive oil also contains essential nutrients that keep the lips soft and beautiful. It’s best to use extra-virgin olive oil, but if you don’t have any on hand, you can use coconut or almond oil.
Step 5. Mix in the sugar, little by little
Finally, add the granulated sugar to the mixture.
- Instead of adding the 1½ teaspoons of sugar all at once, add ½ teaspoon at a time and mix it in each time.
Depending upon the texture of your scrub, you may have to adjust how much sugar you use. Sugar helps exfoliate dead skin cells from the lips. This prevents dark coloration and restores your lips’ natural pink color.
Instead of white sugar, you can also use brown sugar.
Step 6. Transfer your scrub into a container and put it in the refrigerator
Once the scrub is ready, transfer the contents into an airtight container.
- Put it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before using.
- Use it 2 or 3 times a week for softer and pink lips.
- Apply the homemade scrub on your lips and use your finger to rub it across your lips for a few seconds.
- Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Finally, apply a bit of extra-virgin olive oil on your lips.
- You can store this homemade lip scrub in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
- If the product smells rancid, discard and make a new batch.
- Instead of preparing a strawberry flavored lip scrub, you can even dip half a strawberry in olive oil and then sugar, and use it to scrub your lips.
- Always rub some olive oil or honey on your lips before going to bed, especially during the winter months.
- A soft tooth brush also works as very good exfoliate or for your lips.