Turmeric has gained popularity in recent times and is in the news, all over social media, and the Internet– and for good reason, too. In fact, turmeric has been widely used as a traditional medicine, due to its amazing curative and healing properties.
One of the main compounds found in turmeric is curcumin, which gives it the characteristic yellow color as well as immense health benefits. From digestion to arthritis pain, skin health to wound healing and the common cold to cancer, turmeric is good for your health in many ways. Countless studies provide evidence of its health benefits. Drinking a glass of turmeric milk daily is the best option to reap its rewards.
Turmeric milk, also known as golden milk, is very easy to make. People often just add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of hot milk, stir it, add some sweetener and drink it. This is a simple way to make turmeric milk. However, to enhance the taste and health benefits, you can make life changing turmeric golden milk it in different ways.
One such method is spiced golden milk, which uses turmeric along with other spices. A glass of this milk makes a great substitute for your late night coffee.
It is healthy as well as tasty, having a strong peppery ginger flavor.
- Steps to Make Healthy and Spiced Golden Milk
- Things you’ll need:
- Step 1. Put milk in the saucepan
- Step 2. Add turmeric powder
- Step 3. Add the spices
- Step 4. Add extra-virgin coconut oil
- Step 5. Stir and allow it to boil
- Step 6. Cover and simmer
- Step 7. Strain the milk
- Step 8. Sweeten it with honey
- Step 9. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder
- Step 10. Drink it warm
- Additional Tips:
Steps to Make Healthy and Spiced Golden Milk
Things you’ll need:
- Milk – 1 glass
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper (ground) – ¼ teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 2 small sticks
- Cardamom (ground) – ¼ teaspoon
- Honey – as per taste
- Extra-virgin coconut oil (optional) – ½ to 1 teaspoon
- Induction Stove
- Fine sieve
- Measuring spoons
Step 1. Put milk in the saucepan
Pour a glass of milk into a saucepan and turn it on low heat. You can use any type of milk, full-fat or skim as per your preference.
If you are vegan or lactose intolerant, you can use soy, almond or coconut milk.
Step 2. Add turmeric powder
Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, the main ingredient of this recipe, to the milk. If you want a stronger flavor, add more turmeric powder.
You can also add freshly grated raw turmeric. Freshly grated turmeric will give a more vibrant flavor.
Step 3. Add the spices
Add the remaining spices to the milk: ¼ teaspoon of black pepper powder, 2 cinnamon sticks and ¼ teaspoon of cardamom powder.
Step 4. Add extra-virgin coconut oil
After the spices, add ½ to 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil to the milk. If you do not like the taste of coconut oil, skip this step.
Coconut oil helps the body absorb curcumin, the main component of turmeric that provides its key health benefits.
Step 5. Stir and allow it to boil
Stir the mixture with a spoon and bring it to a rolling boil. Stirring at this point will prevent lumps from forming.
Step 6. Cover and simmer
Once the milk starts boiling, put the lid on the saucepan. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
The milk will take on a nice yellow color as the turmeric infuses it. You can also smell the aroma of different spices filling the air.
Step 7. Strain the milk
Finally, remove from heat and strain the turmeric milk into a glass using a fine sieve. Be careful, as the milk will be very hot.
Step 8. Sweeten it with honey
Sweeten the milk with 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey, depending upon your preference. Give the milk a nice stir so the honey mixes in well and does not sit at the bottom of the glass.
Use locally produced honey for the best flavor.
Step 9. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder
To enhance the flavor, sprinkle some cinnamon powder on top of your milk before drinking it. This is optional and depends upon personal preference.
You can also try ground nutmeg, chopped almonds, flaxseed powder or even chia seeds powder.
Step 10. Drink it warm
Drink your milk while it is still warm to enjoy its health benefits. In fact, you should make it fresh every time you wish to drink turmeric milk.
Try to drink it daily at night before going to bed.
- If you are making this milk for more than one person, increase the amount of the ingredients accordingly.
- You can also add grated ginger along with the other spices to the milk.
- For sweetening, you can also use jaggery, maple syrup, stevia or black strap molasses.
- You can even use vanilla essence, which goes very well with milk.
- Experiment with the ingredients and flavorings to get the right combination that suits your taste.
- Turmeric powder often settles in the bottom of the glass, so stir it well before drinking.
- If you want to grind your own powder from whole spices, you can do it ahead of time, store the powder in an airtight container and use it as needed.
Summary of How to Make Healthy and Spiced Golden Milk
Download this infographic.