Steps to Make Tortilla De Patatas or Spanish Omelet
Things you’ll need:
- Potatoes, medium-sized – 4
- Onion – 1
- Eggs – 5
- Olive oil – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
Step 1. Prepare the potatoes and onions
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly, peel and chop them into small pieces as shown above.
- Peel the onion and cut it into thin slices.
Step 2. Combine the potatoes, sliced onion and salt
- Put everything together in a bowl and add the salt.
- Mix well.
Step 3. Cook the potatoes and onion slices together
- Heat up 1 cup of olive oil in a frying pan on low flame.
- You can use a small piece of potato to determine when the oil is ready.
- Now put the potatoes and onion mixture into the frying pan, cover it to get a better cook and stir from time to time.
- After 30 minutes, the onion slices will be transparent and the potatoes soft.
Step 4. Prepare the egg mixture
- Crack and whisk the 5 eggs in a bowl.
- Remove the frying pan from the fire, drain the mixture (wait for a little until it has cooled down a bit ), and add it to the beaten eggs.
- Add salt and pepper; mix well.
- Remove the excess oil from the frying pan. Now, just a tablespoon of oil is enough. Put the frying pan over the fire again.
Step 5. Cook the omelet
- When the pan is hot, add the egg mixture; it takes around 5 minutes for the eggs to thicken.
- Use a spatula to separate the edges from the pan and ensure that the omelet does not get stuck to the bottom.
- Put a plate over the frying pan to flip the omelet.
- Cook for another 5-8 eight minutes on the other side. Toss the omelet in the pan to check whether it’s stuck to the bottom.
Serve and enjoy your Spanish Omelet!
- You can also add some freshly chopped cilantro into the egg mixture for a hint of freshness.
- Add in grated Cheddar and Parmesan cheese to the egg mixture to make a cheesy Spanish omelet.
- This recipe shows you how to make a simple and traditional Spanish omelet; however, you can add fillings of your choice including chopped lean ham and tomatoes.
- You can also make a baked Spanish omelet, fry the potatoes and onions as described above and add them to the whisked eggs. Add filling of your choice and mix well.
- Pour the omelet batter into a greased baking dish. Pre-heat the oven to 350° F and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or till the batter turns a beautiful golden brown.