How many times has it happened that your sight landed on someone with beautiful pink lips and you became painfully aware of your not-so-pink n’ pretty lips? You might even think that your lips are naturally dark and that there’s nothing you can do about it.
But when properly taken care of, everyone’s lips can retain their natural healthy pink glow. Usually, dark lips are caused by tanning or a dead-skin buildup.
Lips are one of the most appealing features of a person’s face. Lips that are healthy, radiant and pink also make you look younger, whereas dry, discolored and dull lips can add years to your appearance.
There are some very easy ways to make your lips naturally pink and glossy, and to keep them that way. So go on and get ready to flash that beatific smile you know you have!
- Steps to Make Your Lips Naturally Pink
- Things you’ll need:
- Step 1. Put brown sugar in a bowl
- Step 2. Add honey
- Step 3. Make a paste
- Step 4. Exfoliate your lips
- Step 5. Wipe off the scrub
- Step 6. Put mint leaves into a mortar
- Step 7. Add lemon juice
- Step 8. Pound into a paste
- Step 9. Apply the mint paste on your lips
- Step 10. Gently wipe off the paste
- Step 11. Put rose petals into the mortar
- Step 12. Add milk
- Step 13. Crush to form a paste
- Step 14. Apply rose petal paste evenly on your lips
- Step 15. Wipe your lips clean
- Additional Tips:
Steps to Make Your Lips Naturally Pink
Things you’ll need:
- Brown sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh mint leaves – 10 to 15
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice – ½ of a lemon
- Fresh rose petals – 10 to 12
- Milk – 1 teaspoon
- Bowl of lukewarm water
- Cotton balls
- Measuring spoons
- Mortar and pestle
- Small mixing bowl
Step 1. Put brown sugar in a bowl
Measure 2 tablespoons of brown sugar into a small mixing bowl. Sugar works as a natural scrub, but brown sugar is gentler than its white counterpart, making it a better option for the sensitive skin of your lips.
Step 2. Add honey
Pour 1 tablespoon of honey into the bowl. Honey will thoroughly soften and moisturize your lips.
Step 3. Make a paste
Mix the ingredients in the bowl with a spoon (or just your finger) to make a paste that’s neither too thick nor too runny.
Step 4. Exfoliate your lips
Gently apply the paste on your lips with your finger. Give your lips a tender massage with the scrub. It will help exfoliate your lips, gently removing the buildup of dead skin.
Leave the scrub on your lips for 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 5. Wipe off the scrub
Dip a soft cotton ball into lukewarm water.
Use it to thoroughly wipe the scrub off your lips. You might already notice that your lips are softer.
Step 6. Put mint leaves into a mortar
Put 10 to 15 fresh mint leaves into a mortar. Mint leaves act as a lightening agent for skin and lips.
Step 7. Add lemon juice
Squeeze the juice of ½ of a lemon into the mortar. Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent, but it is tender enough for the sensitive skin of your lips.
Step 8. Pound into a paste
Pound the pestle into the mortar until you turn the leaves into a paste. The consistency of the paste shouldn’t be too runny or it won’t stay on your lips.
Transfer the mixture to a plate or a bowl.
Step 9. Apply the mint paste on your lips
Again, use your finger to apply the paste on your lips. Coat your lips thoroughly and leave the paste on for another 4 to 5 minutes. This paste helps improve and lighten the color of your lips.
Step 10. Gently wipe off the paste
Dip another cotton ball into some lukewarm water.
With the soaked cotton ball, gently wipe your lips clean.
Step 11. Put rose petals into the mortar
Clean your mortar and put 10 to 12 fresh rose petals in it. The antibacterial properties of rose petals help protect your freshly exfoliated lips. Rich in vitamin C, they also work as a decent sunblock. Rose petals are an excellent toner for all skin types, as well.
Step 12. Add milk
Add 1 teaspoon of milk to the mortar. Use raw milk if possible. Milk helps nourish and smooth the skin of your lips, besides toning them.
Step 13. Crush to form a paste
Work the pestle until you have a paste of consistent texture that is thick enough to spread easily and evenly over your lips. The rose petals will have formed a pretty pink-colored paste.
Again, transfer the contents of the mortar to a plate or bowl to apply.
Step 14. Apply rose petal paste evenly on your lips
Once more, use your finger to apply the pink rose petal paste onto your lips thoroughly and evenly. Leave it on for a good 5 minutes before wiping it off.
Step 15. Wipe your lips clean
Dip another clean cotton ball in lukewarm water and use it to wipe your lips completely clean. The rose petal paste will have given your lips a natural pink tint, making them look beautiful.
Apply a moisturizer or lip balm (of 15 SPF) as a final step. You can repeat the procedure after 15 to 20 days to get better results.
- You can repeat the procedure with mint leaf paste and rose petal paste more frequently (say, once a week), but exfoliating with the sugar scrub should only be done after 15 to 20 days.
- You can also use your toothbrush to very gently exfoliate your lips. Moisturize them afterwards. Again, never exfoliate more than twice a month.
- Completely remove all makeup, especially any lip makeup, at night to avoid dry, dull and discolored lips.
- Tobacco from excessive smoking can also darken your lips. So, you might need to bid adieu to cigarettes for your lips’ (as well as your lungs’) sake.