Body butter, scrubs, and lotions – your dressing room is probably loaded with all sorts of products to help keep your skin healthy and glowing. Wouldn’t you gladly trade them all for one single natural ingredient that can help with all your skincare needs?
The pollution and impurities in the air are particularly harsh on one’s skin. But the abundance of chemicals in the products you use maybe even worse.
Anti-aging creams, glow packs, sunscreens, and a variety of other products can pose a double threat to your skin.
Regarded as the largest organ in the body, your skin is both durable and yet delicate. Aloe vera is one gift of nature that’s capable of catering to a wide variety of your skin’s essential needs.
Hailed as Cleopatra’s beauty secret, Alexander’s healing secret, the green power of the Romans and Greeks, aloe vera is now known as the multi-purpose medicinal solution of people in India, China and increasingly across the globe. You can use aloe vera to get clear, glowing, and spotless skin.
Aloe vera is a thick, short-stemmed succulent plant that stores water in its leaves, which usually grow to about 12 to 19 inches in length. The slimy substance in the leaves is the gel that we often associate with aloe vera products.
- Beauty Benefits of Aloe Vera
- Method 1: Face Wash
- Method 2: Face Moisturizer
- Method 3: Mask to Remove a Suntan
- Method 4: Skin-Lightening Face Mask
- Method 5: Face Pack for Acne-Free Skin
- Method 6: Facial Scrub
- Method 7: Massage Oil
- Additional Tips
Beauty Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel contains multiple bioactive compounds, including vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants that are exceptionally good for the health of your skin.
Aloe vera gel also contains two hormones, namely auxin, and gibberellins, which promote healing and contain anti-inflammatory properties.
It also has antimicrobial properties that help eliminate harmful pathogens from the skin, and anti-inflammatory and other components that help deal with acne, fine lines, and wrinkles, spots, freckles, and blemishes.
The nutritional qualities and antioxidant properties of aloe vera also form a powerful protective layer on the skin that seals in moisture, which further helps to keep skin troubles at bay.
All of these features make aloe vera exceptionally good at providing lasting moisture and protection for the skin. Not only this, aloe vera is incredibly good for your hair, too!
So, dump the toxic skincare products on your vanity and use the all-natural aloe vera for softer, younger, and healthier skin.
Method 1: Face Wash
Rough, uneven skin with acne, blackheads, and clogged pores prompts you to buy bucket loads of face washes that seem ineffective at protecting your skin from everyday exposure to harsh environmental conditions.
A homemade face wash made with aloe vera can take care of that, and more. It will seal essential nutrients and moisture into your skin to make it softer and healthier in the process.
The best thing about this homemade face wash is that you can personalize the ingredients to best suit your skin type with your personal choice of fragrance.
Besides being a natural moisturizer and anti-inflammatory, aloe vera is loaded with antioxidants that promote the growth of new skin cells and fight off skin irritation and allergic reactions.
In addition to aloe vera, we used rose water, castile soap, almond oil, vitamin E oil, and lavender essential oil in our face wash.
Rosewater is another anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and astringent that is beneficial to the skin for removing oil and dirt from the pores.
While castile soap (full of saponins) acts as a natural cleanser and anti-inflammatory, almond oil is loaded with vitamins and minerals that help soothe irritation and restore the skin’s normal pH level. Vitamin E oil is another natural moisturizer, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory agent.
Essential oils are optional, but they can add specific healing properties and an aroma to the face wash, so go ahead and add a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera gel (hydrating and nourishing properties) – 2 tablespoons
- Almond oil (natural moisturizer) – 1 tablespoon
- Rosewater (natural toner and astringent) – 1 tablespoon
- Castile soap (cleanser and anti-inflammatory) – 2 teaspoons
- Lavender essential oil (antiseptic and aromatic) – 3 or 4 drops
- Vitamin E oil (moisturizing properties) – 2 or 3 drops
Step 1. Put the ingredients in a bowl
- Put 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of almond oil, followed by 1 tablespoon of rose water.
- Add 2 teaspoons castile soap.
Step 2. Puncture a vitamin E capsule and add 2 or 3 drops of the oil
- Puncture a vitamin E capsule to extract the oil.
- Squirt 2 or 3 drops of the oil into the mixture.
Step 3. Add your preferred essential oil
- To add a scent or additional benefits to the mixture, use 3 or 4 drops of your favorite essential oil.
We used lavender essential oil for its excellent aroma and antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and soothing properties.
Tea tree essential oil and orange essential oils are also great choices as an aromatic and for skin benefits.
Step 4. Mix the ingredients, store in a bottle and apply twice daily
- Use a hand whisk and whip the ingredients together and mix them well.
- Pour the solution into a bottle for storage.
- Use the aloe vera face wash each day in the morning and evening for clear, soft, and healthy skin.
- Apply 2 or 3 drops of the solution on your face.
- Rub it around in circles for 30 to 60 seconds, then wash it off with lukewarm water.
This homemade face wash should keep for 4 to 6 weeks. The water and oil may separate, so shake it well before each use.
Method 2: Face Moisturizer
This homemade face moisturizer is made with aloe vera gel, coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin E oil, almond oil, and essential oils – all of which are incredibly good for your skin’s health.
Both aloe vera and coconut oil boast of natural moisturizing, hydrating, and healing properties that help eliminate harmful pathogens from the skin.
Shea butter is called a superfood for the skin, due to its constituents like unsaturated fats, essential fatty acids, vitamins E and D, and pro-vitamins.
Almond oil and vitamin E oil are exceptionally good for wrinkles, acne, scars and fine lines due to the presence of multiple vitamins (A, B, D, and E), proteins, essential minerals, fats and antioxidants
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera gel (lightens skin color) – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Almond oil (removes wrinkles and fine lines) – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil (natural moisturizer)– 1 tablespoon
- Shea butter (contains vitamins and minerals) – ½ tablespoon
- The essential oil of your choice (adds fragrance and nourishment) – 2 or 3 drops
- Vitamin E oil (moisturizing properties) – 2 or 3 drops or ½ capsule
Step 1. Put aloe vera gel and shea butter in a bowl
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Add ½ tablespoon of shea butter to the aloe vera gel.
Step 2. Blend in the oils
- Pour 1 tablespoon each of coconut and almond oils into the mixture.
- Puncture a vitamin E capsule and squirt 2 or 3 drops of the oil into the mixture.
- Finish with 2 or 3 drops of your preferred essential oil.
Step 3. Whisk the ingredients, store and use the moisturizer nightly
- Whisk the mixture until the ingredients thoroughly incorporate into each other.
- Pour the moisturizer into a container of your choice.
- Apply this DIY aloe vera moisturizer each night before going to bed for softer, healthier and glowing skin.
Method 3: Mask to Remove a Suntan
Aloe vera, curd, cucumber, and lemon work as an excellent combination of ingredients to lighten the pigmentation on your skin and clear up a suntan.
While lemon juice offers natural cleansing and bleaching benefits, aloe vera juice helps lighten the skin color and exfoliates the dead and damaged cells.
The lactic acid present in curd gives it mild bleaching properties that also help lighten the skin.
Cucumber helps cool and soothe the skin while reducing any symptoms of itching, redness, or irritation.
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera gel (natural healer) – 2 tablespoons
- Cucumber paste (soothes and cools skin) – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice (natural skin lightener) – 1 tablespoon
- Curd (mild lightening properties) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl
- Pour 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel into a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of plain curd.
- Extract and add 1 tablespoon of cucumber paste, followed by 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Step 2. Whisk the ingredients and use the mask to lighten a suntan
- Whisk the ingredients together to form a creamy mask.
- Pour the mask into a container of your choice. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 30 days.
- Smear the aloe vera mask liberally over the suntanned areas.
- Allow it to dry for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the aloe vera suntan treatment once each day for excellent results.
Method 4: Skin-Lightening Face Mask
For those with sensitive skin who just can’t handle any and every remedy flooding the Internet, aloe vera will help you obtain incredible results.
Long known for its healing, hydrating, skin-lightening and toning properties, aloe vera gel is a natural solution that works wonders on your skin.
An incredible moisturizer, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and healer, aloe vera keeps your skin fresh and blemish-free.
Aloe vera, along with lemon juice, forms a powerful combination for the skin. An excellent source of citric acid, lemon juice works as a natural bleach and a powerful astringent to lighten discolorations and help restore the skin’s pH balance.
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera gel (skin-lightening property) – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice (natural bleach) – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Mix aloe vera gel and lemon juice
- Put 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a small bowl.
- Add an equal amount of lemon juice to it.
Step 2. Whisk the ingredients, store, and use
- Whisk the mixture for about 1 minute to blend the ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer the homemade face mask to an airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
- Use it as you would normally use a face mask. Put a small amount on your palm and apply it evenly on your face and neck.
- This skin lightening aloe vera face mask can be applied twice a week for a month or till you achieve the desired results.
Method 5: Face Pack for Acne-Free Skin
Aloe vera is loaded with antimicrobial, healing properties that help soothe irritated skin. It not only heals acne but also helps prevent scarring and future breakouts.
Nutmeg, which has antiviral and antibacterial properties, serves as an ideal ingredient to treat skin infections, clear up clogged pores and control excess oil in the skin. Nutmeg is extremely powerful against cystic acne in particular.
An alternative natural bleach, lemon juice has skin-lightening properties that help reduce dark spots and other marks on the skin.
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera gel (treats and prevents breakouts) – 2 teaspoons
- Organic nutmeg powder (antimicrobial and healing properties) – ¼ teaspoon
- Lemon juice (lightens pigmentation) – ½ teaspoon
Step 1. Put all three ingredients in a bowl
- Pour 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel into a bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon of lemon juice to it.
- Finish by adding ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg powder.
Step 2. Mix it well and use the facial pack twice a week
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Pour the mixture into a container of your choice for storing.
- Apply the pack evenly on your face.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with normal water.
- Use the aloe vera mask twice a week for acne-free, soft, and healthy skin.
Method 6: Facial Scrub
For any skincare regime, exfoliation is one of the most important components. Exfoliation clears away dead skin cells and unclogs the pores, thus allowing your skin to breathe properly. Well-exfoliated skin also absorbs and retains moisture and nutrients more easily.
Ideally, a healthy skincare regime calls for the proper coordination of exfoliating and moisturizing your skin. A simple combination of sugar, aloe vera, and coconut oil is just the way to do that!
While aloe vera and coconut oil have hydrating and moisturizing properties, sugar acts as an incredible exfoliating agent.
What’s more, you can customize your scrub with the ingredients of your choice. For example, for intense aroma and benefits, you may add your own choice of essential oils and herbs.
We used tea tree essential oil that works great for acne and green tea that is loaded with antioxidants. You may incorporate any other ingredient of your choice.
Things you’ll need:
- Aloe vera gel (seals moisture into the skin) – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil (moisturizing property) – 2 tablespoons
- Castor sugar (exfoliating agent) – ½ cup
- Dry green tea (contains antioxidants) – 2 teaspoons (cut open 2 tea bags)
- Vitamin E oil (contains essential vitamins and minerals) – 3 or 4 drops
- Tea tree essential oil (antiseptic and healing properties) – 5 or 6 drops
Step 1. Combine sugar, aloe, coconut oil, and green tea
- Start with ½ cup of castor sugar in a bowl.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel into the bowl.
- Blend in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, followed by 2 teaspoons of dried green tea.
Step 2. Add in Vitamin E and tea tree oil
- Put in 3 or 4 drops of vitamin E oil.
- Add 5 or 6 drops of tea tree essential oil to the mixture.
Step 3. Mix the ingredients, store and exfoliate your skin twice weekly
- Combine all the ingredients well.
- Pour it into a plastic or glass container for storage. You can store the scrub for up to 2 months.
- Apply the aloe vera scrub, gently massaging and rubbing it around on your skin to remove dead skin cells.
- Allow it to sit for 7 to 8 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water.
- Use the scrub twice a week for soft, supple and nourished skin.
You don’t need to apply a moisturizer after using the scrub, as it contains ample coconut oil to nourish and moisturize your skin.
Method 7: Massage Oil
Massaging your skin is probably one of the easiest and most effective means of overcoming skin troubles. A gentle massage with certain oils supply necessary nutrients to the skin and also promotes improved blood circulation.
While coconut, olive and castor oil are among the most preferred oils for skin, coconut oil is considered a magic formula for soft, supple and healthy skin. Its nourishing, moisturizing, and hydrating properties help fulfill the skin’s nutritional requirements.
Adding aloe vera to the coconut oil boosts the benefits of this natural skin treatment. The presence of amino acids, folic acid, vitamins A and C, and multiple enzymes makes aloe vera a panacea for all your skin troubles. The combination also works to restore the skin’s pH balance.
Things you’ll need:
- Fresh aloe vera gel (hydrating and nourishing properties) – ½ cup
- Coconut oil (moisturizing and healing properties) – ½ cup
Step 1. Place the ingredients in a double boiler
- Prepare a double boiler.
- Pour ½ cup of fresh aloe vera gel into the bowl.
- Add ½ cup of coconut oil to it.
- Turn on the heat.
Step 2. Cook on medium heat, store and enjoy your oil massage
- Heat the ingredients on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Keep stirring occasionally until the coconut oil melts completely and mixes well with the aloe vera gel.
- Pour the oil blend into a dark bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
- Massage the aloe vera oil blend into the skin each night before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and wash it off the next morning with water.
- Repeat each night for soft and healthy skin.
You may add 2 or 3 drops of your favorite essential oil for added benefits and aroma.
- Aloe vera suits most skin types, but do a spot test before using any of the given remedies to be sure that you’re not allergic to it.
- Adding some vitamin E oil in all aloe vera skin recipes can increase the shelf life.
- Many ingredients and nutrients, especially vitamin E and olive oil, are believed to lose potency from UV exposure and other factors.
- To ensure best results store in a sterile dark or opaque glass containers, and seal well after every use.
Summary of How to Use Aloe Vera to Get Glowing Skin
Download this infographic.