While most of us give skin care and hair care their due importance, we often forget to take care of our lips. This extremely sensitive part of your body is subjected to many potentially harmful conditions and things every day. Sun damage, harsh weather, pollutants, and irritants – all of these can rip the moisture and beauty of your lips. Other factors that can harm them are smoking, excessive consumption of coffee or tea, an unhealthy lifestyle, poor health, excessive use of chemical-laden beauty products, and low-quality lip colors.
Dry, chapped, and discolored lips are pretty common and can be taken care of by following a healthy lip care regime that includes exfoliation and moisturization. Exfoliation can help cure chapped and flaky lips, even out their texture, and minimize dark spots. It also effectively treats dark lips and helps restore their natural color.
Instead of investing in fancy commercial products, you can make your very own lip scrub using a few common ingredients. Here is a recipe for all-natural homemade lip scrub with coffee that will help you get rid of dull and damaged lips.
With just three basic ingredients, this coffee lip scrub will give you the gorgeous, pink, “selfie-perfect” pout you’ve always wanted. An effective scrub consists of two components – an exfoliant and an emollient. While coffee grounds will gently remove the dead skin over your lips, olive oil and honey will help keep them moisturized and nourished.
How to make a homemade coffee lip scrub
Things you’ll need:
- Honey – 2 teaspoons
- Olive oil – 2 teaspoons
- Coffee grounds – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Combine the honey, olive oil, and coffee grounds
- Put in 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds in a bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Now add 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients to form a scrub
- Using a spoon, thoroughly mix the ingredients.
- Make sure the paste is smooth and lump-free.
- Store the homemade lip scrub with coffee in a container.
Using the coffee lip scrub
Take a sufficient amount of scrub and gently massage it over your lips for a few seconds. Make sure you do not apply too much pressure as this may end up damaging your lips. Rinse off the scrub. Finish by applying a moisturizing and nourishing lip balm.
About the ingredients
Let’s have a look at how each ingredient used for making this all-natural homemade lip scrub with coffee can help to make your lips smooth, soft, and beautiful.
Coffee: Other than being the fuel that helps you kick-start your day, coffee also serves many beauty and cosmetic purposes. Coffee is used in improving brain power, combating stress, boosting immunity, and more.
According to a study published in the International Journal of Dermatology (2015), consumption of coffee aids in protecting the skin from photoaging due to its polyphenols content. It is believed to be useful in the reduction of hyperpigmentation. (1)
Coffee grounds and extracts are widely used in making natural face masks, skin scrubs, and lip scrubs. Grounded coffee is a highly efficient exfoliator and effectively buffs off dead skin and impurities. It also helps by promoting the regeneration of new healthy skin and offers antioxidant benefits. This ingredient can help keep your skin glowing and youthful and your lips plump and soft.
The mildly abrasive texture of coffee is perfect for exfoliating the lips to get rid of dry and flaky skin without causing them any damage. It can help smoothen, soften, and moisturize cracked lips. It also adds a delightful aroma to your lip scrub.
Honey: Honey has been used for beauty, hair care, and skin care purposes since ages. If you know anything about natural remedies, then you must already be aware of the numerous benefits this versatile ingredient offers. Honey comes with several essential nutrients as well as antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and humectant properties. It is excellent for your health as it helps in regulating blood sugar, improving digestion, beating insomnia, promoting weight loss, and boosting energy levels.
Other than having a fantastic moisturizing ability, honey helps cleanse skin pores, lighten scars and marks, fight acne, reduce premature signs of aging, heal sunburns, and brighten the complexion, among other things.
This magical remedy works wonders for dry, chapped, and sore lips. Being a natural humectant, it helps keep them both moisturized and hydrated. It has several essential nutrients, including vitamins B1 and B6, that are needed to keep the lips nourished and soft. It also helps in soothing chapped and swelled lips and protects them from the harmful effects of free radicals. Honey aids in preventing chapped lips from getting infected. Use honey regularly for soft, supple, and beautiful pink lips.
Olive oil: The uses of this ingredient go far beyond cooking and salad dressing. Olive oil is packed with several nutrients and properties, which make it excellent for health and beauty purposes. A number of skin care products, lotions, hair care products, balms, etc., contain olive oil. Be it your skin, hair, or nails; all your beauty woes can potentially be solved by using this multipurpose ingredient.
Olive oil is used to keep the skin moisturized, repair cracked heels, soothe sunburn, fight premature signs of aging, fade dark circles, and strengthen the nails. It offers antioxidant benefits and enhances exfoliation.
Olive oil will give you healthy and beautiful lips by nurturing and nourishing them. It has excellent moisturizing properties that can heal and soothe cracked lips and prevent further damage. This oil is absorbed deep into the skin and works from the inside to keep your lips hydrated. Scrubs with olive oil can help you treat dark and discolored lips as well as restore their smooth texture.
Coffee, honey, and olive oil come together to give you the perfect exfoliating and moisturizing lip scrub to rejuvenate dry and dull lips. All these ingredients are extremely safe and gentle on the skin. Regular use of this lip scrub can help in keeping your lips soft and beautiful.
Tips for making lip scrub with coffee
- You may also use extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) instead of olive oil in making this homemade coffee lip scrub.
- Exfoliation and moisturizing are important parts of a healthy lip care regime. Doing these on a regular basis will not only heal your chapped lips, but it will also protect them from further damage.
- Lips are very sensitive, and over-exfoliation may end up harming them. Limit scrubbing and exfoliation to 2 times a week.
- Soft-bristled toothbrushes may also be used for exfoliation.
- Use a moisturizing lip balm after exfoliation. Alternatively, you may also use olive or coconut oil.
- Rubbing honey or olive oil over your lips before you go to bed will also help keep your lips rejuvenated and hydrated.
- Sugar (brown or refined) is also a great exfoliation agent and can be used to make lip scrubs.
- There are a number of natural and safe remedies you can use to treat chapped lips and get back those soft and pink lips.
1. Fukushima Y, Takahashi Y, Hori Y, et al. Skin photoprotection and consumption of coffee and polyphenols in healthy middle-aged Japanese females. International Journal of Dermatology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25041334. Published April 2015.