Is your favorite pair of jeans feeling a bit extra snug? Blame it on the stubborn belly fat that has refused to leave your side and made you ditch your favorite dress.
Pooch, gut, or beer belly—all these terms are synonymous to the rigid visceral and subcutaneous fat that cushions your abdominal area. Subcutaneous fat lies under your skin and muscles and does not pose any direct threat to your health. However, visceral fat located in the abdominal cavity can have serious implications in the long run.
It increases the production of stress hormones and also affects your body’s insulin production. As a result, you stand at the threshold of obesity with posed risk of heart diseases and Type 2 diabetes. A waistline above 40 inches (102 cm) in men or 35 inches (88 cm) in women is termed as abdominal obesity.
Before we dwell further into how to get rid of belly fat, it is important to understand that spot reduction won’t reap any result if you are targeting your belly bulge.
There are certain exercises that can help you strengthen and tone your abdominal muscles. But these need to be done along with full body workouts and strength training for best results. There are also few home remedies that can aid your quest for fat loss.
Read on to learn how to lose belly fat fast with exercise, diet, and home remedies.
- Method 1: Exercises and Yoga to Lose Belly Fat
- Method 2: Diet Changes to Lose Fat
- Method 3: Home Remedies to Lose Fat
- A. Lemon water
- B. Ginger tea
- C. Cranberry juice
- D. Green tea
- E. Cayenne pepper
Method 1: Exercises and Yoga to Lose Belly Fat
Cardiovascular exercises along with a healthy diet help speed up your metabolism and burn body fat. Strength training and tummy toning exercises help build muscles and muscles burn fat.
Cardio exercises include walking, running, swimming, and jogging and are effective in targeting visceral fat. However, the intensity of performing is more important than the type of cardio you choose.
Doing moderate-intensity cardio for 30 minutes, 5 days a week, or high-intensity cardio for 20 minutes, 3 days a week, reduces belly fat effectively.
To get you started, here are a handful of exercises and yoga poses you can try along with cardio to get rid of belly fat. These help boost your metabolism and strengthen core to reduce belly fat.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and foot resting on the floor. You can also raise your legs keeping them parallel to the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head.
- Inhale while resting on the floor, then exhale as you lift your upper torso.
- Inhale again as you go back and repeat.
- If you are starting off, begin with 10 reps and gradually increase to 2 to 3 sets every day.
If you start getting comfortable with basic crunches, modify to twist crunch. Keep your knees bent. Lift your right shoulder toward the left, keeping the left side of your torso on the ground and vice versa.
Note: Keep your movements steady and slow. While doing the crunches, just raise your back a few inches from the ground instead of full sit up position. This prevents your back from injury.
Also, don’t jerk your head forward. This will put pressure on your neck and result in pain.
- Get down on the floor in a push-up position with your forearms and toes balancing the body weight (as shown in the image).
- Keep your spine straight and your neck aligned with the spine.
- Hold the posture for 30 seconds while breathing normally, and then relax for 10 to 15 seconds.
- You can also lift one leg on the top and bring it down again to increase resistance.
- Repeat it 3 times daily along with other exercises.
Note: It is important to keep breathing continuously while holding the plank position to prevent nausea or dizziness.
C. Low Belly Leg Reach
- Lie on your back with your knees bent 90 degree and your hands placed behind your head.
- Inhale and lift your upper torso off the ground. Hold it for 5 seconds.
- Exhale and extend your legs, keeping them high at 45 degrees. Hold for another 5 seconds.
- Keep your core sucked in while holding the position.
- Slowly bring your upper torso back to the ground and lower down your legs.
- Relax for 10 seconds and repeat again.
- Do 15 repetitions every day for a week, and then gradually increase.
D. Russian Twist
- Stay in a seated position and slightly lean your torso backward.
- Keep your legs firm on the ground. You can also lift them up to increase the resistance.
- Stretch out and clasp your hands and begin to rotate side to side, touching the ground with your hands as you twist. You can also hold 2-pound weight in your hands and then twist to increase the impact.
- Keep your back flexed and your core engaged as you twist from one side to the other.
- Start with 10 repetitions and increase to 2 to 3 sets each side when you start getting comfortable.
E. Flutter Kicks
- Lie down on your back with your shoulders raised off the floor.
- Rest your hands on the floor with palms facing down.
- Now, raise your legs about 6 inches off the floor. Squeeze in your abdominal muscles and make small and rapid scissors such as motions with the legs.
- Do 2 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions.
A. Cobra Posture (Bhujangasana)
Also known as Bhujangasana, this yoga pose helps strengthen abs and lose belly fat. It also strengthens your spine and makes it more flexible.
- Lie flat on your stomach with your legs stretched out. Place your palms below your shoulders.
- As you inhale, raise your upper torso and bend backward.
- Keep your chin up, shoulders firm and arch your back till a comfortable position.
- Hold the position for 15 to 20 seconds. Keep breathing deeply.
- Exhale and bring your upper body back to the ground.
- Stay in a resting position for 10 seconds, and then repeat.
- Do it 5 times every day.
B. Bow Posture (Dhanurasana)
Also known as Dhanurasana, this yoga pose works on your core. It also helps open up your hunched shoulders and chest and, as a result, improves body posture.
- Lie down straight on your stomach.
- Exhale and bend your knees in, keeping them hip-width apart.
- Now, reach out for your ankles with your hands and lift them up.
- Inhale and raise your chest and thighs together making a bow shape, as shown in the above figure.
- Look forward and hold the position for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Release your ankles as you exhale and lie down straight for few seconds.
- Repeat the pose 2 to 3 times.
C. Pontoon Posture (Naukasana)
Also known as Naukasana, this yoga pose targets belly fat near the waistline. Additionally, it strengthens your legs and back.
- Lie on your back with your legs stretched out but together, and your arms resting at your sides.
- Inhale and raise your legs as high as you can, without bending your knees.
- Now, lift your arms to reach your toes and create a 45-degree angle with your body.
- Hold this pose for 15 seconds while breathing normally.
- Exhale and come back to resting position.
- Do it 5 times every day.
D. Wind Easing Posture (Pavanamukthasana)
Also known as Pavanamukthasana, this yoga pose helps tone the abs, thighs, and hips, as well as relieve lower back pain. This pose can also help you to pass gas and if you’re suffering from bloating.
- Lie flat on your back, keeping the legs straight and arms at your side.
- Inhale and slowly lift the legs and bend the knee.
- Bring the legs to your chest till your thighs touch your stomach.
- Firmly hug your knees and try to touch them with your nose tip. You may not be able to do this in the first go, but it will come to you with regular practice.
- Hold this position for 20 to 30 seconds and extend the time limit according to your capacity.
- Now, exhale and slowly come back to the original position.
- Do 3 to 5 times each day.
Method 2: Diet Changes to Lose Fat
A. Control Your Sweet Tooth
Eating excess sugar and consuming sugary drinks overloads the liver with fructose. As a result, the liver fails to metabolize it and turns most of it into fat. If you cannot completely eliminate sugar from your diet, consider minimizing the consumption of sugary drinks, juices, and desserts to lose belly fat.
B. Eat More Protein
Eating high-protein breakfasts such as eggs along with whole-grain toast is a good way to start your day when trying to reduce your pooch. Protein helps reduce cravings and makes you feel full for longer by reducing the levels of ghrelin (hunger hormone) in your body. You also burn more calories while digesting protein compared to fats or carbohydrates. Foods such as eggs, lean meat, seafood, beans, low-fat dairy, nuts, and soy can be included in your diet.
C. Cut down carbs from your diet
Avoid eating refined carbs such as white bread and pasta, as they are high in carbs and low on fiber. A low-carb diet also helps in losing water weight, giving you instant results. Low-carb diet also helps control blood sugar and blood pressure and increases levels of good cholesterol in your body.
D. Consume foods rich in fiber
Consuming fiber reduces your appetite and will make you take in fewer calories. Eating fibrous foods such as beans (legumes), flax seeds, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and oats helps target the belly fat specifically and reduce the chances of metabolic diseases.
E. Drink plenty of water
Drinking plenty of water throughout the day keeps your metabolism up and running. It also keeps you full, and as a result, you tend to consume lesser calories. Drink a glass of water before each meal and around 8 glasses of water in a day.
Method 3: Home Remedies to Lose Fat
These home remedies are no magic and won’t work on their own, even if consumed regularly. They need to be adopted along with a well-balanced diet and regular exercise to fight the unwanted belly fat.
A. Lemon water
More often than not, a stressed liver is responsible for fat accumulation around your waistline. Lemon has numerous health benefits, including its role as a detoxing agent in the body. It helps detox your liver, which can then effectively break down fat in your body and reduce belly fat.
Single-Step Treatment: Add fresh lemon juice to warm water and drink
- Squeeze the juice out of the half lemon and pour it into 1 cup of warm water.
- Mix them well.
- Drink this lemon water every morning on an empty stomach.
- Do not drink or eat anything for at least 30 minutes after consuming.
Regular consumption of lemon water alongside proper diet and exercise will produce good results in about 1 month.
B. Ginger tea
Ginger is a natural appetite suppressant; hence, eating ginger or consuming ginger tea can curb the urge to overeat. It is also a thermogenic agent that increases your body temperature and helps burn fat easily.
Step 1. Add water to a saucepan
- Pour 1½ cups of water in a saucepan and allow it to simmer on medium heat.
- If you are making multiple cups of tea, increase the quantity of water and ginger accordingly.
Step 2. Put the ginger in the water
- After the water starts to simmer, add ¼ cup of ginger slices.
Step 3. Boil the water and let it simmer
- Allow the water to boil for 1 minute, and then cover the pan. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- For stronger tea, allow it to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or use more ginger slices.
Step 4. Strain the tea
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the tea out in a cup.
- Drink on empty stomach in the morning and consume at least 2 to 3 cups throughout the day.
Drink ginger tea regularly for 1 month along with the right diet and exercise regimen to observe a significant reduction of belly fat.
C. Cranberry juice
Cranberries contain malic acid, citric acid, and quinic acid that act as emulsifying agents on your stubborn belly fat. Cranberry juice can aid and boost the lymphatic system in detoxing the body, which can be helpful in melting belly fat.
Since cranberry juice will not melt your belly fat on its own, you need to incorporate it into a well balanced diet. Be sure to go for unsweetened cranberry juice. The artificial sweeteners added to sweetened cranberry juice will not be helpful in your quest to lose belly fat.
- Drink 1 cup of unsweetened cranberry juice everyday to melt belly fat.
- Alternatively, you can also top your oatmeal or porridge with fresh cranberries, or snack on a handful of fresh cranberries.
Due to its good nutritional profile, cranberry juice is also said to be helpful in treating urinary tract infection (UTI).
D. Green tea
The antioxidant-rich green tea can boost your metabolism and enhance oxidation of fat resulting in the reduction of belly fat.
Step 1. Brew a cup of green tea
- Take a cup of boiling water and dip a bag of green tea into the cup.
- Let it brew for 3 to 5 minutes.
Step 2. Drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea every day
- Remove the tea bag from the cup.
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea every day to reduce belly fat.
Green tea along with following apt diet and exercise plan for at least 1 month will help you to trim belly fat.
E. Cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin that not only burns fat fast but also makes it harder to put on fat.
Things you’ll need:
- Cayenne pepper (burns fat)– ½ teaspoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Lemon (detoxing agent) – ½
Step 1. Mix cayenne pepper in hot water
- Take 1 cup of hot water.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. You can gradually increase the quantity to 1 teaspoon once you get comfortable with the pepper.
- Stir till the pepper dissolves completely in the water.
Step 2. Squeeze the lemon and consume the pepper tea
- Add juice of a half lemon to the water.
Step 3. Mix well and drink
- Stir well to mix the ingredients.
- Consume the cup of cayenne pepper tea 4 to 5 times in a day up to 10 days to boost your metabolism and initiate weight loss.
Consume cayenne pepper drink while following the right diet and exercise for 1 month or so to get rid of stubborn belly fat.
- Get adequate sleep of 6 to 8 hours to avoid feeling sluggish throughout the day and indulge in unhealthy eating. Exercising and diet won’t work much if you do not give your body enough time to rest.
- Have 4 to 8 tablespoons of chia seeds during the day to keep you full and prevent you from overeating.
- Don’t skip a meal as you only end up eating more in the subsequent meal.
- Chew your food 20 to 30 times per mouthful so that you eat slowly and, as a result, consume fewer calories.
- Eating in smaller plates helps you consume fewer calories.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks before or during consuming meals to reduce your calorie intake.
- Chewing gum helps lower cravings and resists binge eating by keeping your mouth busy.
Summary of How to Lose Belly Fat
Download this infographic.