Everyone loves the yummy goodness of a cake every now and then. While most cake recipes contain eggs and dairy products, this should not be an obstacle for you to enjoy a good dessert.
In many recent cooking trends, eggs and dairy are passé. So if you’ve eliminated eggs and dairy from your diet either because of health concerns or because you’re hooked on a vegan lifestyle, this cake recipe without milk or eggs is just the thing you need.
Being vegan doesn’t always mean going through elaborate recipes to find good dairy and egg substitutes. This cake is very easy to put together and can be made in about 5 minutes, which means that now you can cater to your dessert cravings as soon as they come knocking.
Gorge on it by yourself or share it with family and friends. And if you get bored with it, experiment with new flavors and create your own variations of this recipe. Read on for the steps to make this simple but delicious cake.
Steps to Make a Cake without Milk and Eggs
Things you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour – 1½ cups
- Vegetable oil – 5 tablespoons
- Cocoa powder, unsweetened – 3 tablespoons
- Water – 1 cup
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- White vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
Step 1. Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Start with 1½ cups of all-purpose flour in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar to the bowl.
- Add in 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder too.
- Put in 1 teaspoon of baking soda, followed by ½ teaspoon of salt as well.
- Adding a dash of salt to any recipe brings out more vibrant flavors in a dessert. So, blend a pinch of salt to the mixture.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together completely with a wire whisk. You can also use an electric whisk for better efficiency.
Step 2. Add in the liquids
- Pour 5 tablespoons (about 1 cup) of vegetable oil into the whisked dry mix.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, followed by 1 teaspoon of white vinegar.
- Add in 1 cup of water to the bowl.
Baking soda needs an acidic medium to produce carbon dioxide, which helps the cake rise. White vinegar does this job perfectly. It also has a fairly mild taste that doesn’t register in the baked cake.
Step 3. Whisk the ingredients thoroughly
- Whisk the ingredients thoroughly (in one direction) with a wire whisk until you get a batter of smooth consistency.
Step 4. Pour the batter into a greased microwave-safe bowl
- Brush a microwave-safe glass bowl with some oil. This will help prevent the cake from sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the greased bowl.
Step 5. Bake the cake
- Place the bowl of batter into the microwave and cook it for 4 to 5 minutes.
Step 6. Remove the cake when done
- Push a toothpick into the cake. If it comes out clean, consider your cake done. If not, cook it in additional 30-second bursts.
- Use oven mitts to carefully remove the cake from the oven.
Enjoy your instant cake made without milk and eggs
Remove the cake from the bowl. Serve it with a dusting of powdered sugar on the top.
You can also serve this cake with homemade frosting or chocolate sauce.
- You can sift the dry ingredients together before adding in the liquids to make your cake fluffier.
- Before popping the bowl of batter into the microwave, tap the sides of the bowl with a spoon. This will release any air bubbles caught in the batter.
- After preparing the batter, don’t let it sit for too long otherwise the cake will not rise properly.
- You can opt for brown sugar as a healthier form of sweetener than the powdered sugar.
- For smaller portions, you can bake the cake in a mug or a small microwave safe bowl.
- All-purpose flour can also be substituted with rice flour for a different base flavor and texture.