With the ever-increasing temperatures of summertime, ice cream and cold beverages are go-to refreshers. Cold enough to give you a brain-freeze, slushies are just the thing kids want to gain temporary relief from the unbearable heat. Grownups also find it hard to resist a drink that’s sometimes colder than ice in this sweltering heat.
While commercially available slushies contain artificial coloring, flavorings as well as preservatives, their high sugar content alone is not particularly appealing when it comes to healthy options. Watermelon slushies provide a much-needed alternative.
With 92 percent water content and a good nutritional profile, watermelon is the perfect summer drink in itself. That’s because eating watermelon is essentially eating water. It benefits the body and protects it from the adverse effects of the heat.
Slushies made from watermelon are not only healthy, but also taste heavenly. Plus, these watermelon slushies are the perfect companion with which to take a dive into your childhood memories.
You can also easily impress people at your next summer party by dishing these out. The tropical look of the slushies can set a festive mood. Your guests will keep asking for more and your kids may never ask for ready-made slushies again.
Find relief from the brutal, soaring temperatures this summer with this irresistible watermelon slushie. You can also add a twist to the recipe, depending upon your preferences.
Steps to Make a Healthy Watermelon Slush
Things you’ll need:
- Watermelon, cubed and deseeded – 2 cups
- Caster sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Crushed ice – ¼ cup
Step 1. Put cubed watermelon in a blender
Put 2 cups of watermelon cubes ina blender. Be sure to remove the seeds beforehand. You can purchase a seedless variety if you don’t wish to bother with the seeds.
Step 2. Add caster sugar
Add 1 tablespoon of caster sugar to it. Depending on how sweet your watermelon is, adjust the quantity of sugar accordingly.
Step 3. Add fresh lemon juice
Add 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice for that tang that brings out the flavor of watermelon.
Step 4. Add crushed ice
Next, add ¼ cup of crushed ice. Crushed ice helps create the slushy texture.
Step 5. Blend until smooth
Blend on high power until the mixture is smooth. Be sure to get a good slushie texture. You can adjust the texture by adjusting the amount of ice you add.
Step 6. Garnish and serve
Your watermelon slushies are ready to be enjoyed. Serve them immediately in glasses. You can also garnish them with lemon wedges or a lemon slice.
- Although best when consumed fresh, you can make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer.
- For making watermelon slush, you may also use frozen chunks of watermelon. It will give you the perfect slush texture.
- You may also freeze the watermelon puree. This comes in handy whenever you have surplus fruit. Freezing the fruit prevents it from going bad. Just blend your frozen puree with lemon and sugar when serving.
- Add some coconut milk to your watermelon slush for a rehydrating and rejuvenating delicacy. This also gives the slush a beautiful texture.
- Add ingredients like cardamom or honey to give your watermelon slush a sophisticated touch. This will make the slushies a hit with the adults as well.