The human body is one of the most complex forms of machine. Our brain has 100 billion neurons, and each of these neurons is connected to 10,000 other neurons.
Similarly, the digestive system of the human body carries out the complex functions of breaking down the food you ingest into simpler substances, utilizing the nutrients, and expelling the undigested material out.
This process involves getting rid of waste buildup from the body. However, what you have to take note of is that such a procedure does not necessarily get rid of the toxins in your body.
Your body works on its own natural and powerful way to deal with the toxins. However, this is applicable only when you are eating clean. The following is what happens to your body when you feed it with food that contributes to toxin buildup:
- Feeling tired all the time
- Bloating, gas, and constipation
- Excessive sinus problems
- Sleep problems and difficulty concentrating
- Excessive water retention and food cravings
- Difficulty losing weight and many more such issues
- DIY Smoothie that Boosts Your Metabolism
- Tips to keep in mind
DIY Smoothie that Boosts Your Metabolism
It is important to reboot your body and its systems, especially if you haven’t been eating very healthy. To do that, we bring you a delicious and healthy smoothie that not only detoxifies your body and minimizes your junk food cravings but also rejuvenates and energizes your body.
Here are the basics of making this detox smoothie:
- Coconut water is rich in water, minerals, and vitamins and acts as a base for your smoothie. Both coconut water and honey sweeten your smoothie naturally.
- Including greens such as kale, spinach, broccoli, or celery ensures that your drink is rich in nutrients and contains less sugar. Using dense fruits such as banana, mango, pineapple, peaches, or melons adds healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals to your smoothie. This keeps you feeling full for a long time and helps to curb your junk food cravings.
- The lemon juice, cucumber, mint leaves, and green tea in the recipe flush out the toxins and jump-start your metabolism.
- Apples are a great detox food due to a special fiber they contain called pectin. The flavonoids in apples help to keep cancer at bay, and these antioxidants also support brain health.
- Ginger is an ingredient used in most detoxifying diets as it is a natural anti-inflammatory substance that has beneficial effects on the liver, detoxifies your lymphatic system, and supports healthy digestion.
Things you’ll need:
- Pineapple, sliced - 1 cup
- Spinach leaves - 1 cup
- Coconut water - ¾ cup
- Cucumber, sliced - ½ of a cucumber
- Fresh mint leaves - 4 to 6 leaves
- Fresh ginger - 1 to 2 inches
- Raw honey - 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice - 1 ½ tablespoon
- Apple - 1 whole
- Brewed green tea, chilled - 1 cup
Step 1. Combine spinach, ginger, coconut water, and green tea
- Drop 1 cup or a handful of spinach leaves into a blender and add 2 inches of fresh ginger cut into pieces to it.
- Pour a ¾ cup of coconut water and 1 cup of brewed and chilled green tea.
- You can brew a strong green tea by dipping 2 bags of green tea in warm water. Do not steep the green tea longer than 3 minutes as this can make the concoction bitter.
Step 2. Run the blender once and prepare the other ingredients
- Make a paste by running the blender once.
- Chop the apples before blending.
Step 3: Add apple, pineapple, and cucumber
- To the blender add 1 apple cut into small pieces.
- Put 1 cup of sliced pineapple into the blender.
- Put ½ a cucumber, sliced, into the blender and run it again.
Step 4. Add mint leaves, lemon juice, and honey
- Add 4 to 6 fresh mint leaves and 1 ½ tablespoon of lemon juice to the blender.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of raw honey and run the blender for one last time to get a smooth paste.
Step 5. Enjoy a tropical detox smoothie
- Pour the contents of the blender into a glass.
- Drink the detox smoothie to rid your body off all the toxins.
- Sweeten the smoothie with more honey if required.
Tips to keep in mind
- Use dense fruits as they make the smoothie thick. You can replace the pineapple with a frozen banana, mango, papaya, or avocado.
- Use kale leaves instead of spinach leaves if you like.
- Start your day on a healthy note with our breakfast banana smoothie.