Today, we bring you a dish from the heart of Spain, chicken cooked in white wine with onion and carrots. This is a light and healthy dish, perfect for a cozy dinner with your special one.
Steps to Make Chicken with White Wine
Things you’ll need:
- Chicken thighs – 4
- Onion – 1
- Carrots (medium-sized) – 3 to 4
- White wine – 1 glass
- Water – 1 glass
- Salt – to taste
- Ground black pepper – ½ a teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Flour – as required
Step 1. Clean and slice the vegetables
- Wash the carrots properly.
- Peel the carrots and then slice them into circles.
- Peel the onion as well and finely slice it.
- If you wish, you can add sliced mushrooms, too.
Step 2. Cook the vegetables
- Heat oil in a pot. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced vegetables.
- Add around ½ a teaspoon of salt.
- Stir occasionally.
Step 3. Season and coat the chicken
- While the vegetables are cooking, you can get started on chicken.
- Lightly season the chicken thighs with salt and crushed black pepper. Keep in mind that we have already added some salt to the vegetables.
- Coat it with a fine layer of flour as well.
- Let it rest for a few minutes.
Step 4. Cook the chicken
- Once the onion is transparent, and the carrot is a bit soft, you can add the chicken thighs.
- Stir and cook the chicken and vegetables for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, add the wine and stir again.
- Wait for five minutes and add 1 ½ glasses of water.
- Cook the sauce on low heat for an hour.
- Once the sauce has thickened, your chicken with white wine is ready. Take it off before it begins to form lumps.
- White rice or potatoes baked in the oven go perfectly well with this quick and easy recipe.
- While cooking chicken with white wine, you can also add 3 to 4 garlic pods along with the onions and carrots for greater flavor.
- Another incredibly simple way to elevate this dish is by adding fresh or dried herbs like rosemary and thyme. Sprinkle in a pinch of each while cooking the vegetables.
- Instead of adding water, you can add 1½ glasses of chicken stock.
- You can also roughly chop a handful of fresh parsley to season the dish. Simply transfer the dish to a serving bowl and sprinkle the chopped parsley on top.
- To get flavorful chicken, you can marinate it in lemon juice and basic seasoning. Squeeze out the fresh juice of half a lemon and sprinkle some salt and freshly ground black pepper over the chicken thighs. Use your hands to rub the marinade over the thighs to ensure that they are seasoned properly. Marinate the chicken overnight for best results.
- If are interested in more recipes, then check out how to make mouth-watering chicken Parmesan or restaurant-style chicken popcorn here.
- For those, who wish to try out more Spanish recipes, you can learn how to make an authentic Spanish omelet at home.