Looking for a quick and yummy recipe for a crowd? You’ve come to the right place then!
When it comes to preparing snacks for a bunch of people on a short notice we all get panicked. Now, there are tons of recipes you can make for a crowd in a short time and this delicious restaurant style chicken popcorn is one of my all time favorites! We all love popcorn and it doesn’t get any better than chicken popcorn!
This recipe is super easy, quick and fun to prepare and also turns out great! This recipe is perfect for a party or a crowd. You probably have all the ingredients already. Check out the list of things you’ll need and get started to make chicken popcorn restaurant style.
Steps to Make Chicken Popcorn
Things you’ll need:
- Boneless chicken breast – 1 fillet (the amount will vary according to the number of people being served)
- Lemon – 2 teaspoons, to marinate the chicken
- Salt, for taste
- Spices – chili, turmeric, coriander, onion powder
- Rice flour – 2 teaspoons
- Plain flour – 2 teaspoons
- Egg white – 1 egg
- Corn Flakes – 1 cup, to make the crumbs
- Soybean oil (or any other oil of your choice) – 1 cup, to fry the chicken popcorn
Step 1. Chop and marinate the chicken
- Chop the boneless chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and wash them.
- Drain out all the excess water.
- Cut small slices of lemon and squeeze 1 or 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice onto the chopped chicken.
- Mix well and keep the chicken aside for 15 to 20 minutes for marination.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients together
- After 15 to 20 minutes add all the spices and salt to the marinated chicken.
- Then add 1 teaspoons of rice flour and 1 teaspoon of all-purpose flour to the chicken.
- Finally add the egg white to the chicken and mix all the ingredients really well.
Step 3. Prepare the corn flake crumbs
- While the chicken and ingredients marinate we can prepare the crumbs. Use corn flakes to prepare the crumbs, we’re making chicken popcorn so this is the closest thing to corn!
- Simply crush the corn flakes into small pieces but be careful not to crush them into fine powder.
Step 4. Mix the chicken with the the crumbs
- Add the corn flake crumbs to the chicken and mix them nicely until all chopped chicken pieces are covered with the crumbs.
- Set the mixture aside for 5 minutes.
Step 5. Fry the chicken popcorn
- After 5 minutes prepare tiny bite-sized batches from the mixture to make chicken popcorn.
- Heat 1 cup of oil on medium flame in a frying pan.
- Once the oil is heated, deep-fry the batches on medium heat until they turn light golden on the outside.
- Place them on a napkin to get rid of excess oil.
- Serve hot with green chili sauce or tomato ketchup.
- You can also serve the crispy chicken popcorn with homemade mustard sauce.
- Instead of using the spices mentioned above to make chicken popcorn, you can also season your chicken with 1 teaspoon each of garlic and onion powder along with dried chili flakes, oregano and basil for a more continental flavor.
- You can also use breads crumbs, coarsely powdered oats or panko crumbs with corn flakes for the crispy coating on the chicken popcorn.
- You can add a pinch of salt and black pepper with dried oregano and basil to the crumbs as well for added flavor. Just keep in mind the amount you have already added to the chicken in order to avoid over-seasoning the crumb mixture.
- You can also beat 1 whole egg separately instead of adding it to the marinated chicken. Create an assembly line and dip the seasoned chicken pieces in the beaten egg mixture and then the crumb mixture for better coating.
- You can add some grated Parmesan to the marinated chicken before coating and deep-frying to add a cheesy flavor to your chicken popcorn.
- For best results marinate the chicken for a few hours before frying.