This recipe shows you how to make North Indian style curried eggs in a saucy and tangy tomato gravy. It can be served with rice as well as all kinds of Indian style breads like naan, whole wheat chapatti or parantha.
Steps to Make Simple North Indian Egg Curry
Things you’ll need:
- Eggs – 4 hard-boiled
- Tomatoes – 2 medium
- Onion –1 medium
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves
- Fresh ginger – 1 small piece
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- Cardamom – 1 pod
- Cloves – 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Dried fenugreek leaves – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Garam masala powder (whole spice mix) – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 2 cups
- Coriander leaves or cilantro for garnishing – roughly 50 grams
Step 1. Boil the eggs
- Put enough water in a pan to immerse the eggs.
- Add in 4 medium-sized eggs.
- Bring the water to boil for about 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Turn off the heat; after 10 minutes transfer the still hot eggs into a bowl of cold water.
- Wait for 1 minute and then remove the shells.
Step 2. Prepare the vegetable pastes for cooking
- Grind together onion, ginger, and garlic.
- Make a smooth paste and set aside.
- Similarly, grind the tomatoes to make a smooth paste.
Step 3. Start cooking the gravy
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame. Add cumin seeds, and let them crackle. Add the bay leaf and cinnamon stick along with the cloves and cardamom to the pan and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the onion, ginger, and garlic paste as well and sauté on medium heat till the paste turns dry and turns golden in color.
- Then add in the blended tomatoes to the pan.
- Sauté till the paste becomes dry and starts leaving oil in the pan.
Step 4. Add the spices to the gravy
- Add ½ a teaspoon each of coriander powder, red chili powder turmeric powder and salt to the gravy.
- Mix well and sauté for about 2 minutes on low heat.
Step 5. Add water to the gravy
- Pour 2 cups of water into the pan and stir to mix well.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook for 2 minutes on low heat. Stir in between.
- Now, add ½ teaspoon of garam masala powder and ½ teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves to the gravy and mix well.
Step 6. Add eggs to the gravy
- Add the eggs to the gravy. Add a little water if required.
- Cover with lid and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes on low heat. Stir in between.
Step 7. Garnish and serve
- Serve hot in a bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro or coriander leaves.
- Use any spice masala or curry masala, if garam masala is not available.
- For making a rich gravy, add 1 tbsp of full cream before adding the eggs.
- For a crunchy gravy, finely chop the onion and tomatoes instead of blending. Use ginger-garlic paste in this case.
- Additionally, it can also be garnished with slices of lemon along with coriander.
- You can stir-fry the hard-boiled eggs to give them a crispy skin before adding them to the gravy. Just prick them with a fork before stir-frying.
- If you are not great at cooking eggs, you can learn how to make the perfect hard-boiled eggs.
- You can split the hard-boiled eggs into 2 perfect ovals before serving; this way you can feed more people and the dish looks better too.
- Also serve a garden salad consisting of sliced onions, tomatoes and radishes along with lemon wedges and split green chilies with this dish.
- If you want to make the dish even richer you can add a smear of cashew nut paste at the end along with the cream. Just take 14 cashews and soak them in a cup of warm water for 30 minutes. Then grind them along with a teaspoon of the same warm water to make a rich cashew paste. To make the dish even richer you can soak 2 to 3 strands of saffron in 1 tablespoon of milk cream for 30 to 40 minutes. Add the cashew paste and cream at the end after the gravy is cooked but before you add the eggs.
- You can also dry roast 2 to 3 cashew nuts in a pan and use them to garnish the dish before serving.
- To make South Indian egg curry, just substitute the cream and cashew nut paste with ½ a cup of coconut milk. You can even make the coconut milk at home.