Skin allergies can potentially turn your life into a nightmare! One pesky allergen can cause swelling, redness, a rash, itching, cracked skin, raised bumps and flaky skin.
Allergies can be triggered by a number of things, such as a change in the weather, certain foods, cosmetics and more. Also, a weak immune system can make you more prone to skin allergies.
Whatever the reason is, skin allergies can prove to be quite a nuisance. They cause a lot of pain and irritation.
There are a number of commercial medicated treatments to help you get rid of allergy symptoms. However, these chemical-based products are harsh on the skin. Synthetic creams and lotions do help alleviate the symptoms, but they may end up making your skin dry.
Home remedies are a safe and easy way to take care of skin allergies and inflammation. There are a number of ingredients lying around in your kitchen cupboard that can help you get rid of your skin problems.
We have an excellent, easy-to-prepare remedy for skin allergies and inflammation. First, let us introduce you to the potent ingredients used in this cream.
Turmeric: Turmeric is an ancient cure used for an array of problems, especially those related to the skin. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat skin allergies and diseases, reduce pain and inflammation, and heal wounds. Since it is a natural antibiotic, turmeric can be used for getting rid of acne. It also targets dark circles and wrinkles. This magic ingredient is widely used in home remedies.
Neem oil (Indian lilac): Neem is extensively used in homeopathy, Ayurveda, and naturopathy. What makes this herb one of the most popular remedies for health care, skin care, and hair care are its antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antimicrobial properties. Neem helps take care of a number of skin-related issues including allergies, acne, rashes, eczema, signs of aging and more. It also helps heal wounds and keep infections at bay.
Tea tree essential oil: This wonder oil comes with antibacterial, antiseptic, antimicrobial, antifungal and antiviral properties. Terpinen-4, one of the compounds found in tea tree essential oil, is believed to help kill certain viruses, fungi, and bacteria. It also increases the white blood cells activity, which aids in combating germs and foreign invaders. This is what makes tree tea essential oil so effective against skin allergies as well as treating bacterial and fungal skin problems, preventing skin infections and boosting the healing process.
Tea tree essential oil is used topically to treat fungal infections, acne, onychomycosis, scabies, lice, athlete’s foot, ringworm and more. It is also used as a local antiseptic for things like burns, cuts, insect bites or stings, boils, toothaches, and ear and mouth infections.
Coconut oil: Coconut oil is commonly used in cooking, hair care, and skin care. It has a high nutritional value and has several health benefits. It has antimicrobial, antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. It also aids in mineral absorption. Since a number of skin infections and problems are caused by bacteria and fungi, coconut oil is great for keeping skin issues at bay.
Coconut oil is effective in treating allergies, eczema, psoriasis, acne, athlete’s foot, signs of premature aging, bites and stings, dry skin, cuts, and burns. Coconut oil is also helpful in treating inflammation.
It generally suits all types of skin, be it sensitive, dry, oily or breakout-prone. This makes it a popular alternative for skin care over commercial products.
Lemon essential oil: Lemon essential oil curbs bacterial growth and boosts the immune system. It is cleansing and refreshing and serves as a skin toner. Skin issues like allergies, boils, acne, and eruptions can be treated with lemon oil, as it contains antiseptic and astringent properties.
The high content of vitamin C in lemon oil helps boost the immune system. It also stimulates white blood cells, enabling your body to fight off diseases and infections. Lemon oil also helps improve blood circulation.
A cream with the goodness of all these effective ingredients will definitely help in alleviating the signs and symptoms of skin allergies and reducing skin inflammation.
Things you’ll need:
- Turmeric powder – 2 tablespoons
- Neem oil (Indian lilac) – 4 tablespoons
- Extra-virgin coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon essential oil – 10 drops
- Tea tree essential oil – 10 drops
Step 1. Combine the turmeric powder, neem and essential oils in a bowl
- Put 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons of neem oil to it.
- Add 10 drops each of tea tree and lemon essential oils.
Step 2. Whip the coconut oil until it’s smooth & add it to the other ingredients
- Mix the turmeric powder, neem and essential oils well.
- In a separate bowl, whip 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil until it is smooth.
- Add the coconut oil to the rest of the ingredients.
Step 3. Mix all the ingredients well to form a smooth paste
- Mix the ingredients well to form a paste with a smooth consistency.
- Store the cream in a container
- Transfer the cream to an empty container for storage.
How to use the cream:
- Apply the cream to the affected area and leave it on for about 20 minutes or more.
- Rinse it off with water.
- You can use this remedy 2 or 3 times a day, depending upon the severity of your condition.
This amazing DIY antiseptic turmeric cream is a great solution for minor skin issues like allergies, small cuts, grazes and wounds. It can also be used for disinfecting the skin to prevent infections or as a treatment for conditions like scabies.
If the issue is not resolved in a few days or if the allergy symptoms or infection seems to be getting worse, see your doctor immediately.
- If possible, use organic turmeric to ensure maximum skin benefits.
- Before you begin to use this cream, do a patch test to make sure you are not allergic to turmeric.
- Turmeric leaves bright yellow stains behind. Be careful while handling it.
- Turmeric stains on your skin will vanish in a few days.
- Olive oil, aloe vera, mint leaves, oatmeal, and basil are a few other ingredients that can help alleviate the symptoms of allergies.