Having acne-prone skin is a true misfortune. From covering it up with makeup to going through an assortment of over-the-counter creams and serums, the constant battle against acne goes on.
- Causes and Symptoms of Acne
- How to Prevent Acne
- How to Use Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Acne
- Method 1: Use Virgin Coconut Oil
- Method 2: Use Coconut Oil with Turmeric
- Method 3: Use Coconut Oil with Baking Soda
- Method 4: Use Coconut Oil with Aloe Vera and Honey
Causes and Symptoms of Acne
Basically, acne is the result of clogged pores of hair follicles on the skin. Your skin’s pores get clogged with dead skin cells and sebum, an oily secretion released by the sebaceous glands. Bacteria get trapped and breed under the clogged pores, causing inflammation.
Hormones can significantly aggravate acne. That’s why scores of teens battle acne every day. Women in menopause suffer from acne for the same reason. Stress and certain medications are some other factors that can cause acne.
How to Prevent Acne
- Keeping your face clean and moisturized can help prevent acne.
- Keep your hands off your face as much as possible.
- Use a minimum amount of makeup whenever possible and always remove your makeup at the end of the day. Keep your makeup blenders and brushes clean.
- Excessive use of hair products should also be avoided. Such products can get on your face and cause blockages.
- Watch your diet. Don’t eat extremely oily or greasy food and eat more fresh fruits and veggies.
To keep acne at bay, you need an all-natural remedy that can deliver results without any of the side effects that come with most cosmetic treatments. Coconut oil can help do just that.
Coconut is a tropical fruit filled with goodness. Coconut oil is extracted from the dried fruit and has numerous applications for health and beauty, including acne treatment.
The lauric acid present in coconut oil is an antimicrobial agent, which means it curbs bacterial and fungal activity. This helps kill the infection in the pores and treat the problem at its root. The oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the pain and inflammation from acne.
The four methods below explain in detail how to use coconut oil to clear acne.
How to Use Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Acne
Method 1: Use Virgin Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil is, in itself, an effective acne remedy that will give you noticeable results after just 1 week of regular use. Since its pH level is near to that of the skin, coconut oil is very gentle on your skin. It also helps restore the natural oil balance of your skin.
Coconut oil is very light, thus it doesn’t clog the pores and it readily absorbs into the skin. It clears the infection, brings down inflammation and protects the skin from potential environmental toxins.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply virgin coconut oil on acne regularly
- Apply coconut oil on the acne-affected area on your face, spreading it evenly with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off next morning with lukewarm water.
- Remember to use just a little of the oil.
- If you wish to use your hands to apply the oil, clean them thoroughly first.
Follow this remedy regularly.
Method 2: Use Coconut Oil with Turmeric
Combining coconut oil with turmeric makes for a terrific remedy. Curcumin, the chief constituent of turmeric, is what gives it medicinal properties along with its staining yellow color.
Curcumin has strong anti-inflammatory and bactericidal properties that help clear up the acne. The yellow staining is only temporary and doesn’t happen to everyone who uses a turmeric face mask. However, be careful when preparing and applying it so you don’t stain your clothes or countertops.
Things you’ll need:
- Virgin coconut oil (brings down inflammation) – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder (helps clear up the acne) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Add turmeric powder to coconut oil
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil.
Step 2. Mix & apply the face mask on your acne daily
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Spread the oily mix on your acne in an even layer with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes. During this time, keep your face away from pillows and other fabrics to prevent accidental staining.
- Wash your face with cold water and pat dry with a soft towel.
Repeat this procedure daily before going to bed.
Method 3: Use Coconut Oil with Baking Soda
Baking soda is a very good exfoliating agent and can help clear up acne by removing dirt, dead skin cells and oils from the pores. Coconut oil speeds up the healing process in the unclogged pores and brings down the inflammation.
Baking soda can have a drying effect on some skin types, so you should not use it solo. But you can easily use it combined with coconut oil, as the latter will keep your skin well-moisturized and nourished.
Things you’ll need:
- Virgin coconut oil (heals the skin) – 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda (natural exfoliating agent) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Take baking soda and coconut oil in a bowl
- Put 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to it.
Step 2. Mix & apply the mixture on your acne
- Blend the mixture thoroughly.
- Spread a thin layer of the mixture on your acne with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes before washing your face with cold water. Pat dry with a cold towel.
Repeat the process daily until the acne subsides. You’ll start to see results in 1 to 2 days, but complete results may take about 1 week to appear, depending on the severity of your condition.
Method 4: Use Coconut Oil with Aloe Vera and Honey
Using coconut oil with aloe vera and honey makes for a remedy suitable for all skin types. Aloe vera is nature’s best healing salve. Aloe vera along with honey and coconut oil soothes the skin and reduces pain and irritation from the acne. Both aloe vera and honey are mildly bactericidal and help to clear out infection in the pores.
Dryness in the skin often triggers over-production of sebum that ends up causing acne. Both aloe vera and honey are natural humectants that keep the skin well-hydrated and moisturized, which prevents acne resulting from over-production of sebum.
Things you’ll need:
- Honey (natural moisturizer) – 2 tablespoons
- Virgin coconut oil (clears infection) – 2 tablespoons
- Aloe vera gel (soothes and heals your skin) – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Combine honey, coconut oil and aloe vera gel in a bowl
- Pour 2 tablespoons of honey into a small bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil to it.
- Add 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel as well.
Step 2. Blend and apply the mixture on your acne for 30 min
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture on the acne-affected skin.
- Let it stay on for about 30 minutes.
- Wash your face with warm water and pat dry with a towel.
Repeat this process daily to get the desired results.
- Always use good quality coconut oil for the best results. Any side effects may be a result of using a poor quality oil. Cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil is the best choice for an acne remedy.
- Be careful while using turmeric to prevent accidental staining. While the yellow tint on your face should fade away in a little while, stains on containers, fabrics and surfaces will not clean up easily.
- All the remedies above can be made in small quantities for immediate use or in small portions to be stored and used over a week’s time.
Summary of How to Use Coconut Oil to Clear your Acne
Download this infographic.