What if someone told you that little brown bottle of first-aid water under your bathroom sink could lighten your hair as well!
Well yes, hydrogen peroxide or the first-aid water (as it is ideally known) could do a lot more than just fizz up and disinfect a wound!
If you’ve ever had your hair dyed in a salon, you may have noticed your colorist using a product that has hydrogen peroxide as its main component, thanks to its bleaching properties. But hey, hair is not the only area you can it on. Being a traditional antiseptic, you can use hydrogen peroxide for skin, teeth, hair and ears.
And if someone told you that these beauty hacks were overlapped by health benefits as well—voila! Not only beauty, hydrogen peroxide is also the only germicidal agent containing water and oxygen, which is an ideal disinfectant.
With its power of oxidation to kill germs and microorganisms and eliminate toxins, hydrogen peroxide is now hailed as the world’s safest all-natural sanitizer.
A panacea for health and beauty in one single bottle—hydrogen peroxide definitely deserves a spot in your vanity. Although this may not make your health and beauty regime go natural, it can definitely make it inexpensive and less cluttered.
So, let us have scroll into some of the most amazing ways to use hydrogen peroxide to boost your health and beauty.
- Method 1: For Acne Treatment
- Method 2: For Earwax Removal and Earache
- Method 3: As a Mouthwash
- Method 4: For Nail Fungus
- Method 5: Relieves Canker Sores
- Method 6: For Treatment of Scabies
- Method 1: For Lightening Hair
- Method 2: For Whitening Teeth
- Method 3: For Cleaning Nails
- Method 4: For Detox Bath
- Method 5: For Blackheads and Whitehead Removal
- Method 6: For Cleaning Makeup Brushes
Method 1: For Acne Treatment
Hydrogen peroxide is an effective over-the-counter antiseptic that helps dry out acne breakouts by killing the bacteria on the skin.
Composed of oxygen molecules, hydrogen peroxide helps oxygenate the pores that develop into acne. This creates an aerobic environment in the skin, difficult for the bacteria to thrive in, thus killing them to prevent potential pimples.
Note: Perform a patch test before proceeding with the remedy. In case of severe itching, redness, or burning sensation, stop the treatment right away.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply diluted hydrogen peroxide on the acne
- Pour some diluted solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a bowl.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it directly on the acne breakouts.
- As you apply the chemical solution on the skin, it starts to bubble. Wait until the bubbling stops (it may take up to 2 minutes).
- Rinse the area with water.
- Finish with a good moisturizer to prevent the skin from drying out.
Apply diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide once daily for 1 week to get rid of acne completely.
The 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide is mostly safe on the skin and can be used as a toner to prevent further breakouts.
Method 2: For Earwax Removal and Earache
The oxygen molecule of peroxide oxidizes the earwax to bubble up and soften, thus letting it out of the ear easily. This attribute of hydrogen peroxide makes it an essential chemical in most formulations for ear problems.
Single-Step Treatment: Pour hydrogen peroxide in the affected ear
- Fill a syringe with 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Lie down on your side, with the aching ear facing up.
- Pour anywhere from 2 to 4 drops of hydrogen peroxide into the aching ear.
- Allow the peroxide to stay in the ear for 10 minutes. You will hear bubbling and fizzing as the peroxide works magic in your ear.
- Rise and hold your ear over the sink to drain out the wax.
- Grab a towel or tissue to blot and wipe of any remaining wax.
- Repeat the process for the other ear if needed.
- Follow with a final rinse of the ear with clean water. For this, fill a syringe with clean water and follow the same process as mentioned above.
Hydrogen peroxide will clean out your ear in a single use. You can repeat the process for 2 to 3 days if the ear still feels clogged and if the pain persists.
Method 3: As a Mouthwash
For those who spend hours brushing teeth and still are unable to overcome the bad breath, try hydrogen peroxide.
One great alternative to mouthwash for bad breath is to use hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide kills off the unhealthy or bad bacteria in the mouth that cause bad breath.
However, make sure you don’t over use hydrogen peroxide. Prolonged or excess of hydrogen peroxide may also kill good bacteria in the mouth, while aiming at the bad ones.
Things you’ll need:
- 3% hydrogen peroxide (anti-bacterial)– ½ cup
- Honey (for taste) – ½ tablespoon
- Peppermint essential oil (adds freshness) – 5 to 10 drops
- Water – ½ cup
Single-Step Treatment: Combine the ingredients & use as a mouthwash
- Pour ½ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in a bottle.
- Add an equal amount of water. You can use peppermint hydrosol instead of water to add extra healing benefits, flavor, and smell.
- Blend in ½ tablespoon of honey into the solution.
- Add 5 to 10 drops of peppermint essential oil into the mixture.
Store the solution in a dark and cool place. Peroxide breaks down in sunlight to turn into water; therefore, it is advised to store it in a cool and dark place.
Swish and gargle your mouth with this homemade mouthwash once every day.
For more inculcating aroma and benefits, you can blend in 2 to 3 drops of any other preferred essential oil.
Method 4: For Nail Fungus
Thanks to the antifungal properties, hydrogen peroxide works as a powerful antidote.
The presence of hydrogen and oxygen molecules makes it ideal for killing off fungus and bacteria from the skin. Hydrogen peroxide releases oxygen bubbles that create an aerobic environment, which makes it difficult for the anaerobic bacteria to thrive in, thus ultimately killing them.
Single-Step Treatment: Dab diluted hydrogen peroxide over the nail
- Dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide in an equal portion of water.
- Using a cotton ball swab the solution on the affected nail.
- Let air dry completely before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
Repeat once or twice a day, especially before going to bed at night, for a couple of months.
Alternatively, for toenail fungus, you can prepare a foot soak with similar ingredients in the ratio of 1:1, and soak the affected feet in the solution for 20 to 30 minutes.
Method 5: Relieves Canker Sores
A natural disinfectant, hydrogen peroxide works charms to heal cuts and wounds. In the similar context, hydrogen peroxide proves beneficial as a medicated rinse to heal and provide relief in canker sores.
It also prevents the infection from recurring and promotes better healing.
Single-Step Treatment: Use diluted hydrogen peroxide as a mouth rinse
- Pour ¼ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide into a glass.
- Add an equal amount of water into the glass to dilute the hydrogen peroxide.
- Swish the solution around the sores in your mouth for up to 1 minute before spitting it out.
- Use the entire solution this way. Do not swallow the liquid as it may cause nausea and upset stomach.
Use hydrogen peroxide remedy 3 times a day for 1 or 2 days or until the canker sores heal completely.
Method 6: For Treatment of Scabies
Using hydrogen peroxide in combination with borax works effectively to deal with scabies outbreak on the skin.
While hydrogen peroxide is an effective bactericidal, borax works as an efficient insecticide and fungicide to kill itch-causing mites that lead to scabies. The combination works great to prevent the infection and reduce itchy rashes and inflammation.
Things you’ll need:
- 3% hydrogen peroxide (anti-bacterial properties)
- Borax (kills the itch-causing mites)
Single-Step Treatment: Combine borax with hydrogen peroxide & apply
- Combine borax and hydrogen peroxide in the ratio of 2:1.
- Mix the two ingredients together.
- Apply the mixture on the skin affected with scabies.
- Allow the paste to dry for 15 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
Use the mixture 2 times daily for 2 weeks to get rid of scabies.
Method 1: For Lightening Hair
If you’ve ever had your hair bleached in a salon, chances are your colorist used hydrogen-peroxide bleach. A natural bleach, hydrogen peroxide is one effective home remedy for dyeing and lifting the color of your strands to your own liking. It is in fact for this reason, hydrogen peroxide-bleached hair is also called peroxide blonde.
A mix of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide is a powerful and instant remedy for lightening your hair.
Note: Before proceeding with the hair lightening technique, we recommend you to perform a strand test. This will help you ensure that you like the color and if it is not too damaging to your hair.
Things you’ll need:
- 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide (bleaching agent) – 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda (bleaching agent) – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Mix hydrogen peroxide with baking soda in a bowl
- Pour 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to baking soda.
- Combine the ingredients together to form a smooth and runny paste.
Step 2. Apply the paste on your hair for lightening the color
- Wash and condition the hair normally.
- Snip a section of your hair while it is still damp (or the whole of hair if you want the color globally) and spread aluminum foil underneath.
- Using an applicator brush, apply the paste to your hair.
- Roll up the aluminum foil and cover your hair to provide warmth and improve the lightening effects.
- Leave the paste on your hair for 30 to 60 minutes (depending upon the intensity of color you desire). Do not leave it for more than an hour or you may be at a high risk of damaging your hair.
- Rinse the paste out of your hair with normal water.
- Gently shampoo your hair followed by a deep conditioner. Lightening dries out your hair, therefore, it is very important to deep condition your hair.
- Allow your hair to air dry. Do not use a hair dryer or any other heating equipment to dry the hair as this may damage your hair largely.
Method 2: For Whitening Teeth
Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent and thus works charm in most teeth-whitening products.
Baking soda, a natural abrasive, is another effective teeth-whitening ingredient that prevents discoloration, removes plaque, and works best for surface stains on teeth.
A combination of hydrogen peroxide with baking soda releases free radicals that help break up the stain molecules on the surface of the teeth and thus works effectively to naturally whiten your teeth.
Note: To limit the risk of teeth sensitivity, it is strictly advised to use 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in the remedy as opposed to the 10% solution used in some commercial toothpaste.
Things you’ll need:
- 3% hydrogen peroxide (bleaching agent) – 2 tablespoons
- Baking soda (mild abrasive) – 1 tablespoon
Single-Step Method: Brush your teeth with baking soda-hydrogen peroxide paste
- Add 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix the ingredients completely to form a paste.
- Place a blob of teeth-whitening paste on your toothbrush and brush with it gently for about 2 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with plain water.
Follow this remedy 2 times a week for up to 10 weeks to get good results.
Note: If the paste feels too harsh for your teeth and gums, dilute the hydrogen peroxide with an equal amount of water before mixing it with baking soda.
Method 3: For Cleaning Nails
It may happen to you some time that you wear some nail color and at the time you want to take it off, the pesky stuff doesn’t just come off! Hydrogen peroxide is one quick and simple way to make your nails look squeaky clean and shiny.
Mixing hydrogen peroxide with baking soda creates an effective scrub for removing stains from the nails and imparting a shiny look.
Things you’ll need:
- Baking soda (abrasive agent) – 1 tablespoon
- 3% hydrogen peroxide (bleaching agent & disinfectant) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Put hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in a bowl
- Put 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a bowl.
- Add an equal portion of hydrogen peroxide to it.
Step 2. Scrub the paste over your nails
- Combine the ingredients together to form a smooth paste.
- Using an old toothbrush, scrub the paste into your fingernails and toenails.
Step 3. Soak your nails in clear water for 5 to 10 minutes
- Pour some water in a bowl.
- Soak the nails for 5 to 10 minutes, gently rinsing off all the mixture.
- Finish with a final rinse in warm water to get clear nails.
Scrubbing your nails with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide paste will give immediate results.
Note: Do not use this remedy more than once a month, as both ingredients are powerful and can turn your nails brittle if overused.
Method 4: For Detox Bath
If you are sick or feeling tired, give your bathwater a detoxifying boost for a refreshing experience that will also clear you off all toxins and germs from your body.
Oxygen detox bath is specifically helpful in this case. The oxygen molecule from hydrogen peroxide helps eliminate toxins from the body while also creating an aerobic environment that makes it difficult for the free radicals and toxins to flourish.
Adding ginger to an oxy-detox bath works charm. An anti-inflammatory and healing agent, ginger is specifically helpful in times of illness as it clears off congestion to alleviate body aches, allergies, and any kind of irritation.
Things you’ll need:
- 35% hydrogen peroxide (eliminates toxins) – 2 cups
- Ginger powder (anti-inflammatory) – 2 tablespoons
Single-Step Method: Dissolve ginger powder in hydrogen peroxide & add to bath water
- Put 2 tablespoons of ginger powder in 2 cups of 35% hydrogen peroxide and dissolve.
- Pour the solution into your hot bath water.
- Soak in the tub for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Finish with a final rinse in normal water.
Prepare and soak in the detox bath water once or twice a week.
Method 5: For Blackheads and Whitehead Removal
You can also use hydrogen peroxide as an effective treatment for blackheads and whiteheads on your skin.
Blackheads and whiteheads mostly occur when the skin gets clogged with oil. This is where hydrogen peroxide proves effective. It dissolves the blackheads to eliminate them from your skin.
Single-Step Method: Dab diluted hydrogen peroxide on the blackheads
- Dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide with an equal amount of water.
- Scrub your face gently to exfoliate the dead skin cells.
- Saturate a cotton ball in the solution and dab it on your blackheads and whiteheads.
- Leave it overnight and rinse off the next morning with normal water.
- Finish with the application of oil to moisturize your skin. You may use olive oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil for this.
Follow the activity 2 times every week for up to 2 weeks to observe satisfactory results.
Method 6: For Cleaning Makeup Brushes
Often, your make up brushes may look clean, but the bristles are porous and harbor several oils and bacteria that may harm your skin.
With each use, the makeup brushes pick up dead cells and bacteria from your face. These bacteria multiply overtime to cause acne and breakouts on the skin.
Hydrogen peroxide as an antibacterial helps kill off this bacteria harboring on the brushes that often goes unnoticed. Adding organic baby shampoo or castile soap to the solution adds an ample amount of olive oil to the bristles of the brushes, thus making them softer on your skin and cleaning them better.
Things you’ll need:
- Organic baby shampoo or castile soap (cleanser) – 6 to 7 drops
- 3% hydrogen peroxide (disinfectant) – 2 tablespoons
- Warm water – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Combine the ingredients to form a soapy solution
- Pour some hydrogen peroxide (about 2 tablespoons) in a glass or bowl.
- Add an equal amount of water to it.
- Add a few drops of baby shampoo to the water.
- Mix the ingredients together.
Step 2. Soak the brushes in the solution for 10 minutes
- Swish the brushes in the solution and allow them to sit for up to 10 minutes.
Step 3. Rinse and wipe to remove any extra moisture
- Remove the brush from the solution and soak them in normal water.
- Grab a paper towel and wipe down the brushes to remove any excess moisture.
- Lay the brushes flat and allow them to dry.
- Do not use hydrogen peroxide near your eyes as it may damage your eyes.
- If you are suffering from some kind of ear infection, it is advised to consult a doctor before proceeding with the treatment for earache and earwax.
- The prolonged usage of hydrogen peroxide can reduce your skin’s ability to naturally remove dead cells to generate a new layer. Therefore, use a moderate of hydrogen peroxide for a short period.
- Whenever using hydrogen peroxide on your hair, wear old clothes, lest you end up bleaching your favorite clothing.
- Do not use metal bowls to stir up mixtures as hydrogen peroxide may react with the metals to alter the ingredients. Stick to plastic or glass bowls.