This creamy, nutritious Middle Eastern dip and spread has won the hearts of food lovers all across the world. It is a very rich source of plant-based protein, making it a great option for vegetarians, vegans or anybody looking for something tasty and healthy to incorporate in their diet.
Hummus is high in dietary fiber and is great for digestive health. Its iron content helps boost your energy level. Hummus is effective in controlling blood sugar levels and is good for your heart as well. It also contains folate, B vitamins, phosphorus and other nutrients. This protein-rich, low-carb preparation also supports weight loss and weight management. It keeps away hunger cravings and makes it easier for you to avoid unnecessary snacking.
Chickpeas, the main ingredient, are perhaps one of the most beneficial members of the legume family. They provide the protein, fiber, carbohydrates and several other vitamins and minerals that are good for your health.
Hummus has a number of other amazing ingredients that add to its taste as well as its nutritional value.
For example, garlic has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps strengthen the immune system. Olive oil offers antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. While it is rich in several important nutrients, olive oil is free of gluten and cholesterol.
Hummus is commonly served at parties and restaurants. However, now you can impress your guests by serving them delectable snacks with this tasty dip at home. So, just gather your ingredients and try the easiest hummus recipe at home.
Steps to Make Homemade Hummus
The best part is, hummus is extremely easy to prepare and doesn’t require any special, hard-to-find ingredients. It’ll only take you a few minutes to make this creamy delight.
Things you’ll need:
- Chickpeas (soaked & cooked) – 2 cups
- Extra-virgin olive oil – 3 tablespoons
- Tahini – 3 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic (chopped) – 1 small clove
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper – ½ teaspoon
This hummus recipe makes about 2 cups of hummus.
Step 1. Start combining the ingredients in a blender
- Put the cooked chickpeas into the blender jar.
- Add 3 tablespoons of tahini.
- Put in 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Also, add 1 teaspoon of salt.
You can also use canned chickpeas for this recipe. It is a more convenient and easy way to go about it.
However, if you really want that authentic hummus flavor, soak chickpeas in water overnight. Change the water once or twice. Add more water, if needed. Cook them on medium heat untill soft. This way, you’ll also be able to retain the nutritional value of this healthy legume and avoid those unhealthy preservatives that are there in canned varieties.
Step 2. Add the remaining ingredients
- Now, add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the blender.
- Put in ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Also, add 1 small garlic clove (chopped) to the other ingredients.
- Blend the ingredients until you get a creamy paste.
- If it’s too thick or lumpy, you may add the water left after boiling the chickpeas to make the mixture smooth.
- Taste the hummus to see if you need to add more of any of the ingredients.
- You may add more olive oil or lemon juice to thin out the hummus and make it creamier.
Ready to Serve
Your rich, creamy humus is now ready to serve. Simply transfer this easiest hummus recipe into a bowl and serve it with pita chips, pita bread or raw vegetables.
You may store the remaining dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It’ll stay good for several weeks.
- You may adjust the quantity of the ingredients according to your preference.
- You may add more flavor to your hummus by using spices and ingredients like cumin, sumac, smoked paprika, harissa, zucchini, bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, roasted red peppers, and jalapenos.
- Sprinkle sumac on the hummus before serving it.
- Pinch off the skins from the cooked chickpeas before putting them in the grinder.
- You can prepare your own tahini paste instead of using store-brought tahini powder. You just need unhulled sesame seeds and olive oil. Heat a pan and put 1 cup of sesame seeds in it. Dry roast them on low heat until the seeds glisten or begin to pop. This should take about 5 minutes. Put the roasted seeds in a grinder and run it for a few seconds. Grind the mixture again after adding about 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Your tahini is ready to be used.
More quick and easy recipes
- If you are planning a feast at home and looking for an easy yet delicious chicken recipe for it. Here's a quick and easy chicken recipe in white wine you should definitely try.
- A little dessert never harmed anyone. Pamper you taste buds with these easy homemade Oreo cake recipes.
- Looking for more condiment options to serve with your snacks? You are going to love these homemade mustard sauce recipes.
- Rich, creamy Alfredo sauce is definitenly everybodys favorite. Pick up the ingredients and enjoy this cheesy delight at home with pasta.
- If you are a fan of barbeque sauce and just cant resist it. Here's something that could help you out, homemade barbeque sauce.
- Choosing the perfect and easy to make snack can be a difficult task. But here we are for your rescue. Starting from pumpkin french toast, to Spanish ham croquttes, we have covered it all for you.