Tired of going to the optical store every time your eyeglass cleaner gets empty? Your eyeglass cleaner sure needs to be replenished fast because glasses need cleaning every time they get smudged and, boy, do they get smudged all the darn time!
Also, the fact remains that the eyeglass cleaners available at optical stores are very expensive. Shelling a minimum of $6 to $9 twice a month doesn’t feel so good on your pocket. At least not when you know you can make one at home without extra expenses.
You can use plain water to clean your eyeglasses, but you should know that the smudge on it is caused by your fingerprints, leaving an oily residue on them. This greasiness can only be removed by soap or alcohol.
DIY Eyeglass Cleaner Recipes
We bring you two DIY homemade sprays that can give you a pair of squeaky clean eyeglasses. You would never want to visit an optical store again for an eyeglass cleaning spray.
Method 1: Alcohol-Free Eyeglass Cleaner
This eyeglass cleaning spray is made by just combining two ingredients, namely, baby wash and distilled water. All you have to do is get a baby wash that is free of any additives such as shea butter or cocoa butter, as these moisturizers will leave a hazy residue on your glasses.
For the distilled water, just boil a glass of water and cover it with a lid. Once the water has boiled, remove the lid and extract the condensed water under the lid for your spray.
Things you’ll need:
- Baby wash - 2 teaspoons
- Distilled water - 4 tablespoons
Single-Step Method: Mix both ingredients in a spray bottle
- Pour 4 tablespoons of distilled water into a reusable spray bottle using a small funnel.
- Add 2 teaspoons of additive-free baby wash to the spray bottle and secure the cap.
- Shake the bottle well so that the contents are mixed well.
Method 2: Dish Soap and Alcohol Eyeglass Cleaner
Just mix a tiny bit of dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and some water and this eyeglass cleaner will work like a charm to de-gunk your eyeglasses.
Things you’ll need:
- Rubbing alcohol - 2 tablespoons
- Dish wash - 2 drops
- Water - 2 tablespoons
- Spray bottle
Single-Step Method: Mix the ingredients in a spray bottle
- Pour 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol into a reusable spray bottle containing 2 tablespoons of water.
- Add 2 drops of dish wash into the spray bottle and secure the cap.
- Shake the bottle well so that all the ingredients are mixed well.
How to use the Eyeglass Cleaner Spray
- Spray 1 to 2 wisps of the solution onto the eyeglass and rub it using an eyeglass cleaning cloth.
- Wipe away any solution residue from the eyeglass.
This spray stores well for a long period of time.
- Use only a microfiber cleaning cloth as other cloths may leave scratch marks on your eyeglasses.
- Make sure your baby wash is free of moisturizers such as shea butter and cocoa butter or any other additives that would further make the glass hazy.
- If you’re using a funnel, then ensure it is clean.
- You can also use castile soap instead of dish wash.