As per the Oxford Dictionary, blemishes are “a small mark or flaw that spoils the appearance of something.”
Although this is true for all sorts of conditions, in the context of our topic, it refers to those marks on your face! Flaws on your face like scars, acne, age spots, whiteheads, blackheads, discoloration of the skin, uneven skin tone and they all come under the wide category of blemishes.
Nobody likes blemishes on their face! Not only are they unsightly, but they also tend to mess with your charm and beauty, plus your confidence. Although there are many who just regard them as a nuisance on their face, many of you take blemishes quite seriously.
It is easier to prevent blemishes than to cure them. However, there are certain home treatments that can really help fade away those ugly marks on your skin quickly.
So, here are some simple and fast treatments for blemishes.
- Method 1: Use Lemon
- Method 2: Use a Banana Peel
- Method 3: Use Potato Juice
- Method 4: Use Aloe Vera
- Tips to reduce the appearance of blemishes
Method 1: Use Lemon
Owing to its lightening properties, lemon is one of the best remedies for the treatments for blemishes and pigmentation.
Lemons contain citric acid that helps exfoliate the skin by removing dead skin cells and sebum as well as killing the bacteria that cause acne. They further help in diminishing the appearance of larger pores while smoothening the skin.
# Lemon (for normal skin)
Things you’ll need:
- Lemon juice (contains skin lightening properties)
Single-Step Treatment: Apply lemon juice daily
- Simply soak a cotton ball in lemon juice and apply it on the affected area.
- Leave the juice on your skin for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat once daily for effective results.
Alternatively, you can rub a slice of lemon on your skin.
# Lemon and Honey (for sensitive skin)
For those who have sensitive skin, add some honey to the lemon juice before applying it on your skin.
Things you’ll need:
- Lemon juice (contains lightening properties) – 1 teaspoon
- Honey (natural moisturizer) – 1 teaspoon
Step 1. Combine lemon juice and honey
- Take 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and honey.
Step 2. Mix the ingredients well and apply for 15 min
- Mix the solution well.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and dab it on the affected area of your skin.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes, then wash it off using lukewarm water.
Repeat 3 or 4 times every week for effective results.
Method 2: Use a Banana Peel
Bananas and banana peels contain anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the redness and inflammation associated with pimples and blemishes.
Moreover, they are packed with potassium and antioxidants that contribute to the good health of your skin.
Single-Step Treatment: Rub the peel on blemishes
- Peel a banana and rub the inside of the peel on your blemishes for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave the banana juice on your skin for as long as possible. There’s really no need to wash it off unless you have bits of banana pulp that don’t absorb into the skin.
Use this treatment 2 or 3 times a day until there is a reduction in blemishes.
Method 3: Use Potato Juice
Potatoes contain excellent lightening properties. The starch in potato juice helps reduce pigmentation, thus diminishing dark circles, and blemishes.
Things you’ll need:
- Potato juice (naturally lighten the skin)
- Bengal gram flour (exfoliates the skin)
Step 1. Put potato juice and Bengal gram flour in a bowl
- Extract the juice from 1 potato and pour it into a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Bengal gram flour to the potato juice.
Step 2. Mix thoroughly and apply on your skin
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly until there are no more lumps.
- Apply this paste on your blemishes and allow it to dry for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water, then splash some cold water on your skin. (While warm water opens up the clogged pores, cold water helps in closing them.)
- Finish with a non-comedogenic moisturizer.
Use this face pack twice weekly to obtain the best results.
Method 4: Use Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains polysaccharides that encourage the formation of new skin cells, thus healing blemishes.
Moreover, aloe vera has excellent anti-inflammatory properties that work wonders to help control acne by hydrating the skin.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply aloe vera gel every day
- Extract some fresh gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply it directly on the affected area using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes or until it dries completely, then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
Repeat the process once every day for up to 10 days to observe effective results.
Tips to reduce the appearance of blemishes
- Staying hydrated is the key to all your skin troubles. Drink a minimum of 8 to 10 glasses of water every day and use a non-comedogenic moisturizer.
- When buying cosmetics, make sure you go for non-comedogenic or “comedogenic-free” products. Skip products containing isopropyl myristate, lanolin oil, and other oils. They will just seep deeper into your pores and clog them.
- For those with oily skin, use water-based skin care products, as they tend to be free of oil. Avoid products that contain alcohol, which can dry up your skin.
- Remember the rule of thumb – prevention is better than the cure. Begin with treating pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and pustules, or it may lead to conditions like cysts. However, do not pop your zits or try to forcefully extract the blackheads and whiteheads.
- Basic everyday care is another important aspect of prevention. Maintain proper skin hygiene and wash your face regularly, at least 2 times a day.
- Avoid the use of skin products or cleansing agents that contain harsh chemicals, as these tend to irritate the skin further.
- Limit your skin’s exposure to the sun, as the rays tend to aggravate acne, causing blemishes and dark spots. Use a good amount of sun block with a minimum SPF of 50 on any exposed skin before stepping out into the sun.
Summary of How to Get Rid of Blemishes Fast
Download this infographic.