If you are among those with a blood pressure reading above 140/90 mmHg, you are probably suffering from hypertension, also known as high blood pressure.
High blood pressure is a common problem among both youngsters and adults. Looking at the statistics in the United States alone, 1 out of 3 adults or about 70 million Americans have high blood pressure, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
While there are no initial symptoms to warn you of the trouble, high blood pressure may lead to disastrous consequences like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, aneurysms, kidney failure and even cognitive decline. In fact, it accounts for more than 15 percent of deaths in the U.S.
Although prescription medication can regulate your blood pressure, it may cause side effects like dizziness, leg cramps and insomnia. Plus, it is always safe and best to go natural!
Fortunately, several natural remedies are extremely effective in controlling shooting blood pressure quickly and bringing it down to a healthy level.
Here are some simple home remedies you may undertake to lower your blood pressure fast without medication:
Method 1: Using Lemon Juice
Things you’ll need:
- Lemon or lemon juice
Squeeze a lemon into a glass of water
- Simply squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into a glass of water and drink it once a day, preferably in the morning on empty stomach.
Lemons help maintain the softness and pliability of the blood vessels, removing any rigidity on the vessel walls and thus lowering blood pressure levels.
They are also rich in antioxidants that help neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals in the body. Moreover, lemons contain potassium that helps reduce the effects of sodium in the body, thus reducing blood pressure.
Method 2: Using Garlic
Garlic contains sulfur compounds like allicin, diallyl disulfide and diallyl trisulfide that help in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol in your body. These compounds help relax the blood vessels by stimulating the production of nitric oxide and thus regulating blood pressure.
- Consume 2 to 3 cloves of fresh garlic in the morning on empty stomach once a day.
Note: Cooking destroys allicin, the active compound in the herb that helps lower high blood pressure. So, it is best to consume fresh, raw garlic.
Method 3: Using ACV and Baking Soda
Things you’ll need:
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) – 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda – 1/8 teaspoon
Mix ACV and baking soda in a glass of water
ACV contains calcium, magnesium and potassium, vital minerals that help lower pressure on the artery walls and regulate the blood pressure level in the body. Baking soda acts as the ultimate pH booster for lowering blood pressure.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Drink this concoction twice every day to lower your blood pressure.
Method 4: Using Bananas
Bananas are packed with potassium that helps lessen the effects of sodium in the body, thus helping to lower the blood pressure level.
- Eat 1 to 2 bananas every day to maintain a healthy blood pressure level.
- Cutting down on salt (sodium) is the first thing you must do to lower your blood pressure.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Limit your alcohol and caffeine intake.
- Exercise regularly.
- Reduce your waistline by working off those extra pounds.
- Quit smoking.
Summary of How to Lower Your Blood Pressure:
Download this infographic.